Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's a better family oriented city
Jacksonville, FL 9 47.37%
Charlotte, NC 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,822 times

Advertisements

We have recently received a job offer for a company that has offices in Jacksonville, FL and Charlotte, NC. We are trying to decide which city is the best place to settle down. Our family consists of a 13, 9, and 7 month old. We would like to settle down for at least 5 years to try and get our oldest thru high school. The pay is the same in either office so that isn't a deciding factor. Which has a better job market (just in case I need a new job sooner than planned)? Best family oriented city? Best neighborhoods? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,105 times
probably charlotte.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
We lived in Charlotte I don't know much about Jacksonville but Charlotte might be your best bet...It is great for a young family with small children...You can PM me if you like..We love Florida where we really did not like Charlotte for our reasons its a beautiful city and certainly booming with alot of companies relocating there...I would post in the Charlotte Forum too if you have any questions as they can assist you as well...Charlotte hands down has a better Job market than Jacksonville again it all depends on what you do for a living

Good Luck

Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 PM

185 posts, read 318,409 times
I lived in Charlotte for 5 years and am currently in Jacksonville, been here less than a year and looking to possibly leave in a few months.

Automatically when i saw the question at hand I thought Charlotte. Why? Charlotte has more to offer for anyone, of any age, period. The weather is decent, cost of living is good as well. I can't give you a true statement in reference to schools because I dont have any children but there are good private schools here from what I have seen along with some decent public and few charter schools.

If you and your family are into sports you have the NFL with the Carolina Panthers, NBA with the terrible Bobcats lol,AHL with Charlotte Checkers ,as well as lacrosse, soccer and baseball.

Decent shopping as there are a few malls including a more upscale one- Southpark. Plenty of churches, decent grocery option with a Whole Foods on the way if I recall correctly.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 AM

27,174 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Charlotte hands down has a better Job market than Jacksonville again it all depends on what you do for a living
Actually that's "pre-recession" information. Jacksonville's unemployment rate is at 7.0% and has been falling at a steady rate for months thanks to a diversified economy. Charlotte's unemployment rate is one of the highest country at 9.4% and is still hampered by massive cuts in the banking sector which Charlotte has a heavy presence of. Furthermore Jacksonville area schools are better with St John's County (#1 in the state), Clay County (#12) and Nassau County (#13), all within a state (Florida) that ranks in the Top 10 state rankings. The Jacksonville area in my opinion offers more for families with city culture, safe suburban areas, easy access to beautiful beaches and other recreational opportunity in nicer weather year-round.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 AM

thats funny cause if you knew all the people moving there as my best friend lives there for 6 years it would blow your mind..Mind you all with Jobs and for those who aren't transferring they are certainly finding them and living very nicely in Charlotte..My DH's company is HQ now in Charlotte I can tell you that there is no shortage of opportunity's from everything we hear, DH commutes back and forth and he tells me that the Real Estate market is out of control again too I really don't believe in numbers it really doesnt tell it all...

Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually that's "pre-recession" information. Jacksonville's unemployment rate is at 7.0% and has been falling at a steady rate for months thanks to a diversified economy. Charlotte's unemployment rate is one of the highest country at 9.4% and is still hampered by massive cuts in the banking sector which Charlotte has a heavy presence of. Furthermore Jacksonville area schools are better with St John's County (#1 in the state), Clay County (#12) and Nassau County (#13), all within a state (Florida) that ranks in the Top 10 state rankings. The Jacksonville area in my opinion offers more for families with city culture, safe suburban areas, easy access to beautiful beaches and other recreational opportunity in nicer weather year-round.

Agreed. Jax has a pretty diverse economy and its hard to beat St Johns Co.

I like Charlotte and the area around it, I just like the beaches.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:19 PM

Me too Com we love being near the Water..

Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 PM

38 posts, read 59,563 times
I live right outside of Jacksonville in Saint Johns and its an awesome area to raise kids! The only reason why we are moving is because of the military otherwise, we would stay.. We are keeping our house here just in case we do decide to move back to the area..they have some of the best schools in the country! The taxes in Saint Johns County are 6% while in Jax is 7%.. not a huge deal but still! The Ponte Vedra Beach area is very nice about 20 minutes east from my gated community. From our house to downtown Jax is about 30 minutes depending on traffic and 30 minutes to the west side (over the Buckmen Bridge) by the Naval Base. Riverside/Avondale area(where we used to live before kids) is awesome and right outside of downtown. It has the best dining in Avondale. If your looking for a home with character Riverside and San Marco are where you should buy. The only real con about Jax itself is that its the largest city by land in the country which means a lot of driving. For us, we have a Prius V so it doesn't matter that much but it does get annoying sometimes having to drive everywhere.. If you want to be buy shopping, they are building up the Saint Johns Town Center area..its a large outdoor mall with LV and Tiffanys..I've never lived in NC and have never visited so I can only comment on Jax..its been great but we are moving soon to VA. Good luck on your pick!

Old 05-29-2013, 04:57 PM

38 posts, read 59,563 times
Oh and I forgot to add how cheap houses are here in Northeast Florida.. You can get a huge newer house even in my golf and country club community for $350,000! I would imagine NC is similar because its also the South and homes are so affordable. As far as raising kids in a safe, wholesome area I would highly suggest Saint Johns County where we live! My kids aren't in school just yet but I have heard that Nease High School (In Ponte Vedra), where pro football player Tim Tebow went to school, is good and my husband was an assistant coach at The Bolles School for the Track and Field High schoolers. The school is in Mandarin (West side of the Saint Johns River) and its pre-k through 12th grade. Its an excellent school, private, and I've heard the kids who graduate from there get into awesome schools all over the country. The closest beach to us, Mickler's, is great. The parking is free but it does get filled up quickly. Jax beach can be dangerous around night time so we never usually head up that way..If I can think of any other reason why you should move to the Jax/Saint Johns area I will let you know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida