Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:00 AM

167 posts, read 246,707 times

Advertisements

Please no bias. Please! This is about where I'm going to do my higher education and where I'm going to live! It's not a joke!

I've done a quick search and I'm confused. Some articles say UM is the best. Forbes ranked UF before UM. And another puts UCF in second with UF first and UM third. Here are the links:

Top Universities in Florida | 2014 Reviews & Rankings

America's Top Colleges List - Forbes (UF is one the first page and UM on the second)

Top 10 Universities in Florida | RiDOE

How legit and trustworthy are they and those companies?

Please and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 04:23 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
In my very unscientific opinion..... uf > Miami > usf >= fsu > ucf and then everything else

Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 AM

176 posts, read 217,254 times
US News and World reports rankings are pretty objective. Only three Florida Schools are in the top 100. Miami, UF and FSU.

UCF & USF are both ranked at #170.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumble View Post
US News and World reports rankings are pretty objective. Only three Florida Schools are in the top 100. Miami, UF and FSU.

UCF & USF are both ranked at #170.
Actually they are fairly flawed. For example, a big chunk of the score is perception by other college higher-ups. I have also read that colleges with higher tuition bills end up with higher scores (because they raise the tuition to cover all that extra spending to juice their rankings)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/op...bout.html?_r=0

Why U.S. News' college rankings hurt students - CBS News

Your Annual Reminder to Ignore the U.S. News & World Report College Rankings - John Tierney - The Atlantic

Editorial: College rankings promote flawed systems — Brown Daily Herald

Old 01-21-2014, 06:30 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I depends upon what you're attending school for. Overall UF ranks highest, but one also has to gain acceptance which can be difficult. If you're looking toward post-graduate work I would look to a school that has the best financial aid package and personal fit. If you're looking at a certain Bachelor's Degree program, investigate all of the public state schools. One may stick out that you wouldn't have considered had you not looked at the largely meaningless rankings. The University of North Florida, University of South Florida, Florida Gulf Coast University, Florida Atlantic University, Florida International University and University of West Florida aren't to be overlooked and while not "nationally ranked" will offer the end result desired for most, with a significantly lower student debt in some instances.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
If a Florida resident and there isnt a full scholarship involved take private schools off the list. Both of my kids have Florida Prepaid. I would say they have two real choices - UF and FSU. overall UF - but when you factor in diversity and Tallahassee v. Gainesvile as towns, then it becomes more difficult. I say either of those is a win.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
If a Florida resident and there isnt a full scholarship involved take private schools off the list. Both of my kids have Florida Prepaid. I would say they have two real choices - UF and FSU. overall UF - but when you factor in diversity and Tallahassee v. Gainesvile as towns, then it becomes more difficult. I say either of those is a win.
Even if the scholarship isn't a full ride going private can be a great alternative. My son attended UMiami for less $$$ out of pocket then he would have paid at the University of Illinois where we were residents at the time, due to the partial scholarship dollars he got from UM. Florida has a lot of smaller, less known privates too such as Eckerd and Stetson which shouldn't be over-looked. Find a school which has programs you are interested in, and check them out. Ratings shouldn't be the main factor... your "fit" with the school is a much better way to decide...

Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
For undergrad, I'd put New College over any of them except UF.

UCF is unever- some quite cool cutting edge technology programs, and other areas where it's thoroughly mediocre.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
For undergrad, I'd put New College over any of them except UF.

UCF is unever- some quite cool cutting edge technology programs, and other areas where it's thoroughly mediocre.
new college is one of those under the radar schools that doesn't get talked about much.

The only thing I know of it is that they don't do standard letter grades (or they used to not do them).

Old 01-21-2014, 11:28 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,427 times
UF is by far the best if you don't want to go broke, then you have FSU, UCF. New College is also really good, also public, but isn't as well know n.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida