Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I think florida will vote
more Republican 14 20.29%
more Democrat 39 56.52%
Same as now 10 14.49%
Unsure/other 6 8.70%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yup. it's amazing how conservative liberals can become on certain issues and vice versa. That's why someone like Ron Paul would be much better than Obama on the social issues that liberals really care about (marijuana, gay marriage, etc). The government really shouldn't be involved in who gets married, period, any any kind of union should qualify for partner benefits.
I would love someone like Ron Paul to get a shot. I really wish the other parties would become more viable. This two party system really stinks, IMO. I honestly think they are actually working together behind the scenes to keep status quo, but put on a false front in many ways. I'm not saying there are no differences, but the most important thing to a politician is to get re-elected and I think this is one big piece of crap they are feeding us. Between Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Boehner, Mcconnell and the rest of the bums, they keep everything the way they really want it to be, so their peeps keep getting re-elected. They make disingenuous arguments against each other. I don't trust one of them or their buddies as far as I can through them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I support Civil Unions and want them to offer the same benefits of marriage. But oppose calling such a relationship "marriage" as it's obviously not the same, nor is it how the term is defined in the first place.
A gay person simply wants to marry their partner, just like a straight person wants to marry their partner. To deny them that right is to deny them their civil rights, IMO. This whole "marriage is between a man and a woman" argument is BS. Who is really to say what is what? The easiest way to fix this argument is for the government to NOT recognize ANY marriage at all and simply recognize legal unions, whether it be gay or straight. "Marriage" can then simply be something within the church or any other organization, but they would all be the same as far as the government would be concerned.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:31 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
I just came back from FL and the poverty I saw was unbelievable. I'm assuming Nan Rich or Charlie Crist will accept the expansion of Medicare, I hope so. This state could really use a progressive income tax as well. Very strange to see this poverty in the United States still, but that's what voting Republican gets you.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I just came back from FL and the poverty I saw was unbelievable. I'm assuming Nan Rich or Charlie Crist will accept the expansion of Medicare, I hope so. This state could really use a progressive income tax as well. Very strange to see this poverty in the United States still, but that's what voting Republican gets you.
Partisan BS. Have you seen sone of the poverty in democrat controlled states?

One could easily claim "that's what voting democrat gets you". People need to stop with the idiotic partisan crap. The economy is not a matter of voting democrat or republican.

Florida has areas of poverty, areas of wealth and areas of middle class, just like all states.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:54 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I don't believe in party agenda. It's all phony. Made up crap. Unfortunately for most candidates to win they are forced to choose a party....either D or R. I don't for a minute feel they all believe the party platform 100%. I vote based on what the needs are at the time and who has the skillset and/or record to deal the with issues at hand. I vote based on the "individual" and their proven past history, not their political rhetoric, although negative tones turn me off.

Even though I cannot vote in Tampa, I really like the mayor of Tampa, who happens to be a democrat. I don't believe in the democrat platform (nor the republicans), but the mayor has shown real vision and has made many more quality decisions than he has bad ones. I disagree with him on some things, but agree with others.

I often vote alternate parties when no one worth a vote is available in either major party. I have voted for more democrat presidential candidates than I have republican, but I have voted for more republican down ballot candidates than I have democrats.

I would love to vote for Bill Clinton or Ronald Reagan again, but neither can run........obviously. Going forward, I do not see any good qualified candidates on the horizon, even though I believe Hillary will easily win because people mistakenly think Hillary is the same as Bill.
You have to believe in something. Even Independents lean.I have split ballots many times in the past but the votes went to moderates. People whom I thought would maybe honor their convictions rather than the party bosses. Republicans who would now be refered to as rinos and blue dog Democrats. I have never voted for an alternative candidate, and would only consider a truly exceptional individual. I'm not holding my breath.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yup. it's amazing how conservative liberals can become on certain issues and vice versa. That's why someone like Ron Paul would be much better than Obama on the social issues that liberals really care about (marijuana, gay marriage, etc). The government really shouldn't be involved in who gets married, period, any any kind of union should qualify for partner benefits.
Although Libertarianism is appealing, their denizens invariably seem to veer off the rails. Shame.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I fail to see how gay marriage is a Civil Rights issue. Gay people already have all the same rights as everyone else, they go to the same schools, work the same jobs, live in the same neighborhoods, can even work in political offices. These are things that black people and other minorities could not do, those were REAL Civil Rights issues. Gay marriage isn't even in the same vein. The only thing they can't do is do something that a term doesn't allow in the first place, marriage has always been defined as between man and woman.

Furthermore, "marriage equality" is a joke term. Do you guys also support polygamist and incest marriages as well? There are small groups of people who do those things, and there are groups that would support such a thing such as Mormons and Muslims with Polygamy. Is it a "Civil Rights Issue" for those groups as well? After all if you want to redefine marriage to be whoever a person loves then you are opening the door for those other groups too, who would argue that you are discriminating against them and their lifestyle by not allowing them to be married. Clearly using your train of thought it would be.

I support Civil Unions and want them to offer the same benefits of marriage. But oppose calling such a relationship "marriage" as it's obviously not the same, nor is it how the term is defined in the first place.
Openly gay people have been discriminated against in employment, education, military service,social groups, fraternal groups, religious groups, youth groups, etc., etc. So I guess it could be referred as a "Civil Rights" issue. I do know that they are highly motivated, organized, and tireless. Their rapid advancement is testament. I say they deserve the rewards of their work. BTW some are also minorities...

Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Openly gay people have been discriminated against in employment, education, military service,social groups, fraternal groups, religious groups, youth groups, etc., etc. So I guess it could be referred as a "Civil Rights" issue. I do know that they are highly motivated, organized, and tireless. Their rapid advancement is testament. I say they deserve the rewards of their work. BTW some are also minorities...
Gay guys can marry women and lesbians can marry men.

In conclusion, homos pretend that they are suffering for attention and money.

Last edited by CountryFisher; 10-22-2013 at 05:33 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Gay guys can marry women and lesbians can marry men.

In conclusion, homos pretend that they are suffering for attention and money.
Ahhh. OK. You demand my respect . I admire those with simple conclusions for complex problems. Anything new at the Flat Earth Society?

Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
You have to believe in something. Even Independents lean.I have split ballots many times in the past but the votes went to moderates. People whom I thought would maybe honor their convictions rather than the party bosses. Republicans who would now be refered to as rinos and blue dog Democrats. I have never voted for an alternative candidate, and would only consider a truly exceptional individual. I'm not holding my breath.
I believe in a lot of things, just not in political candidates or especially their party.

I believe in a flag tax with the same $X exemption for everyone or a national sales tax in place of an income tax.

Anti-war

Pro FULL gay rights and marriage

Limited Federal controls......this does not mean no Federal controls

More local to state government controls instead

One term congressional and presidential limits

Congress voting on ONE item at a time....no more bundling and payoffs

A reasonable discussion and compromise on abortion, so we can do the right thing for mother and unborn baby and put this issue behind us

Pro pot legalization

Pro prostitution legalization

Others, but don't want to type anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida