Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think flowers and crosses at the site of a car accident is distracting as you drive?
Yes 16 32.00%
No 34 68.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 02:11 PM
kcm kcm started this thread

68 posts, read 249,325 times

Advertisements

Do you think that Flowers and crosses at the site of an accident are distracting for drivers?

I don't think that people should be able to display wreaths and crosses at the site of an accident. Not because I don't care... just the opposite. I almost had an accident my self because people turn their head and try to read the names on the crosses. We all feel the loss and we don't want to forget our loved ones but wouldn't it be better to celebrate their life instead of decorating the spot that they died at ?

A small sign " don't drink and drive", "Drive with care"... something like that maybe... but when the flowers and crosses are there that is very distracting.

I know of an accident in our subdivsion that happened when a man was riding a bicycle he had hand breaks and when he used them, he went over the handle bars and hit his head on the cement. He died... the peoples yard where it happened, had wreaths from his family, in it for two years. Everytime I passed their yard to get home, it was a reminder that someone died in that spot. It didn't make me think about his life at all, only his death.

What do you think ? Do you think that wreaths and crosses are distracting when you are driving for you or other drivers around you or not? Do you look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 02:36 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,782,451 times
Call Team Metro, they will have them removed.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:41 PM

102 posts, read 555,705 times
Have you ever had a family member die in a car accident? I have and we have a cross there for there memory.

You complain about this have a cross removed, and the loved ones of people who the cross is for will only be hurt more.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:45 PM

73 posts, read 389,730 times
Pay attention to the road and the signs won't be so distracting. If you feel the need to try and read the names, isn't it easier to read a single name instead of "Don't Drink and Drive" or "Drive With Care" ???? I just don't get it I guess ?!?!?

Old 09-22-2007, 07:04 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,360,891 times
I am sorry Why not put them on you loved ones grave...that away no one else will die in the same area! They ARE distracting.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:13 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,239,368 times
In Tampa the county and/or the city put up a sign with the person's name and date if the family request it. I think the county said they couldn't put crosses up anymore and the plaque is free. I remember one I passed everyday on the way to work and the family would put flowers around it for different occassions. I think it also said don't drink and drive. Been awhile since I have been that way..

Old 09-22-2007, 07:18 PM

272 posts, read 1,532,938 times
It is my understanding that these personal memorials are technically illegal in the state of Florida because the FDOT agrees that they are distracting. Usually the police choose to ignore them but they will remove them if there are complaints. In an effort to satisfy the family's need for a memorial and to promote driver safety awareness, the state of Florida has created an official, less distracting, memorial sign that the deceased's family can have placed at the scene of the accident. Here is information from FDOT's site regarding the ordering of these signs:

What is the procedure to get a "Drive Safely" memorial sign?
As a public service and to increase awareness of highway safety, it is FDOT's policy (850-050-004-b) to fabricate and install Highway Safety Memorial Markers within the State Highway rights of way to:
  • Memorialize people who have died as a result of a vehicle related crash.
  • Remind motorists to protect human life by driving safely.
Requests for Highway Safety Memorial Markers within the State Highway rights of way are to be submitted in writing to the FDOT Area Maintenance Engineer with jurisdiction of area where the incident occurred. Requests may be made by immediate family members or friends, with requests from friends requiring the approval of the deceased’s immediate family. A notation of how the name should appear on the marker, contact information for the immediate family and a copy of the collision report should be included with the written request. With this, the marker is placed in safe proximity to the site of the incident.
Link to addresses for the FDOT local maintenance facility: Florida Department of Transportation (http://www.dot.state.fl.us/statemaintenanceoffice/district-map.htm - broken link)

Old 09-22-2007, 07:32 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,347,419 times
Just pay attention to the road? Back off with the good intention laws. Quit trying to further enslave our nationals. There are far better things to talk about anyway concerning society. Turn your ambition towards helping people be freer. Say NO to big government. Say NO to slavery. I'm going to buy some property and I'll put a huge ten commandments plaque up on the side of the road on my newly bought property. Everyone that passes by will be able to see it. Like it or not to bad for you. See how you like that.

Last edited by the_pines; 09-22-2007 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-22-2007, 08:23 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,201,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcm View Post
Do you think that Flowers and crosses at the site of an accident are distracting for drivers?

I don't think that people should be able to display wreaths and crosses at the site of an accident. Not because I don't care... just the opposite. I almost had an accident my self because people turn their head and try to read the names on the crosses. We all feel the loss and we don't want to forget our loved ones but wouldn't it be better to celebrate their life instead of decorating the spot that they died at ?

A small sign " don't drink and drive", "Drive with care"... something like that maybe... but when the flowers and crosses are there that is very distracting.

I know of an accident in our subdivsion that happened when a man was riding a bicycle he had hand breaks and when he used them, he went over the handle bars and hit his head on the cement. He died... the peoples yard where it happened, had wreaths from his family, in it for two years. Everytime I passed their yard to get home, it was a reminder that someone died in that spot. It didn't make me think about his life at all, only his death.

What do you think ? Do you think that wreaths and crosses are distracting when you are driving for you or other drivers around you or not? Do you look?
I just drove route 100 and there must be like 15 of them in about a 60 mile stretch. It was pretty disturbing and made me not want to take that route again. It seems like a nice drive but looks are deceiving, that is one dangerous road, especially at night.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:30 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,201,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcm View Post

According to this article the state erects and maintains them.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.d...411300394/1004
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida