Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 PM

104 posts, read 240,617 times

Advertisements

When some one asks you where your from, just say, "I live here". When you live in a tourist area, when people ask where your from, they are asking where did you come here from. They don't think you live in the tourist area. I know I used to live in a tourist area, and when I went to the beach I got asked that a lot. And my answer was usual, "I live here". The person asking the question usualy thought it was great that I got to live in the place they vacationed for only a week or two each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 07:57 PM

168 posts, read 394,904 times
Answered: BORN and RAISED....honorary Floridian? Easy going Jimmy Buffet attitude could pull it off! =D

Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaherbgirl View Post
Answered: BORN and RAISED....honorary Floridian? Easy going Jimmy Buffet attitude could pull it off! =D
Based on your criteria, Jimmy Buffett is not a Floridian lol.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:47 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,085,314 times
When someone asks where you're from, I think they mean where did you originate, or where did you grow up.

Most Floridians are from somewhere else originally. Swapping stories about "back home", finding people from the same place, or hearing about how people ended up here is something of a pastime in Florida, it seams. People who ask that are generally trying to strike up a conversation. If I feel like chatting, I'll tell them where I'm from. If not, I'll say I'm from Tampa. It also depends on who's asking.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Just to share why its a big deal about being Floridian or not....
First...the MI and OH transplants or visitors (about 20+ years ago) were the best to have come to Florida. Florida is unique, think of it like if America had foreigners come over to America, not respect the land, trash and leave every year?! Wouldn't that make you a little mad???? =D Well, that is what has happened in Florida for MANY years. So, when Floridians have an attitude you have to ask where they are coming from.

It went from people from the North coming down twice a year, literally trashy our beautiful state, then leaving it for the community to clean up. Floridians are very gracious and welcoming but they just want the same appreciation and respect as those who treasure all the benefits of living in such a beautiful state.

And it has gone from that dilemma to making it a harsh place, harsher than most Floridians would prefer, from the Northerners from more aggressive states coming down here and pushing people around. I am a true blue Floridian and went to the Midwest for 20 years (went for six months actually and just couldn't get back for personal reasons) and when I did get back I was shocked then ticked standing in line at places like Panera's and having someone with a strong accent rip apart some cashier for not havin 'their' bagel at 10:15 in the morning....that is one example.

Most Floridians, if you can get them to open up and chat, will share they just want people to come down, value the state, care for the state and show respect to both the land and the people who are from here.

If you take a moment and picture either the American/Foreign example or just picture a herd of people coming over for Thanksgiving, trashing your place, insulting your family and leaving ....how that would make you feel....will give you a glimpse WHY it is important to be or not to be a true blue Floridian. Just sharing..

Old 05-28-2012, 01:59 PM

334 posts, read 1,152,112 times
Quote:
Just to share why its a big deal about being Floridian or not....
First...the MI and OH transplants or visitors (about 20+ years ago) were the best to have come to Florida. Florida is unique, think of it like if America had foreigners come over to America, not respect the land, trash and leave every year?! Wouldn't that make you a little mad???? =D Well, that is what has happened in Florida for MANY years. So, when Floridians have an attitude you have to ask where they are coming from.

It went from people from the North coming down twice a year, literally trashy our beautiful state, then leaving it for the community to clean up. Floridians are very gracious and welcoming but they just want the same appreciation and respect as those who treasure all the benefits of living in such a beautiful state.

And it has gone from that dilemma to making it a harsh place, harsher than most Floridians would prefer, from the Northerners from more aggressive states coming down here and pushing people around. I am a true blue Floridian and went to the Midwest for 20 years (went for six months actually and just couldn't get back for personal reasons) and when I did get back I was shocked then ticked standing in line at places like Panera's and having someone with a strong accent rip apart some cashier for not havin 'their' bagel at 10:15 in the morning....that is one example.

Most Floridians, if you can get them to open up and chat, will share they just want people to come down, value the state, care for the state and show respect to both the land and the people who are from here.

If you take a moment and picture either the American/Foreign example or just picture a herd of people coming over for Thanksgiving, trashing your place, insulting your family and leaving ....how that would make you feel....will give you a glimpse WHY it is important to be or not to be a true blue Floridian. Just sharing..
How ironic that you should use Thanksgiving as an example. I do seem to recall a specific instance in history where foreigners came to America, didn't respect the land, and trashed the place, celebrated Thanksgiving even, only they didn't leave. I understand your point; I'd suggest finding a better example though!

Honestly, the snowbirds don't bother me. Its the ones that move here permanently and then whine about Florida not being enough like NY, and then actively working to change our state that get on my nerves.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,022,334 times
Quote:
Oh give me a break, you act like it's some exclusive society that he'll never be part of. I was born in this bug infested swamp, big deal. The original poster has lived here for long enough to be considered a Floridian. If he goes on a trip somewhere and they ask him where he's from, he'll rightfully say Florida.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:15 AM

jdoty - point well taken =D....
I really think when people ask as being a Floridian (no one seems to ask if you live almost anywhere else it seems...to me anyway. I lived in Nebraska for example and I don't remember anyone asking me where I was from).....but people are trying to have a point of reference because there are so many different personality types in all the different areas of the country. I only find myself asking this question when a little bit of a red flag goes off in my head or someone makes a comment that doesn't really make sense...for living here...this way when you are getting to know someone you can connect on their terms. And, loud griping is almost an immediate red flag. Most people I know from here are totally accepting but get tired of the pushiness of some, and a mentality that where they came from ran things more efficiently, did something in the community better etc., and did I say lack of respect of the land and waterways?! =)

If you are not from here and find it easier to say you are from here I'd just give a short answer; those you become friends with will end up knowing your history more and they are the ones that really matter. And, to be honest if you aren't from here, depending on how much you take on the personality of your area, and where you are from, most Floridians will figure it out sooner or later without you even telling them.

After hearing all the comments I really think if you are not being pushy and someone is that pickey about where you are coming from they shouldn't matter. Someone mentioned it would be better living in a certain area if they just said they were from here....in that case I'd bet most in that community are not from here.

Last edited by Floridaherbgirl; 05-29-2012 at 04:24 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsmom View Post
I was born and lived in Michigan for 28 years before moving to Jacksonville (was married then and following a spouse). We lived there for a couple of years, then we moved to Tampa for 18 years, then to Tallahassee for a couple of years, then to Fort Lauderdale for a few years, then to Pensacola (I am now divorced, can you figure out why?). All told, I've lived in Florida for 29 years (one year longer than I ever lived in Michigan). My question is this, when I am asked "where are you from?", can I now say I'm from Florida? I'm thinking it might make things a little easier here in Pensacola.
If you're in Pensacola now, telling people you're from south FL may be a bigger negative than telling them you're from up north.

Pensacola and Ft Lauderdale have nothing in common.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,205,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
How ironic that you should use Thanksgiving as an example. I do seem to recall a specific instance in history where foreigners came to America, didn't respect the land, and trashed the place, celebrated Thanksgiving even, only they didn't leave. I understand your point; I'd suggest finding a better example though!

Honestly, the snowbirds don't bother me. Its the ones that move here permanently and then whine about Florida not being enough like NY, and then actively working to change our state that get on my nerves.
Same that bothers me. I wish they go back where they come from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida