Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 21,353 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I know that there are a lot of posts on this area, however, a lot of the suggestions are from back in 2009 and before, and I know it's very different there now, so I'm looking for some insight. My husband and I are looking to move from NYC to the western Florida Coast. As my husband works in banking, he really is only finding jobs in Ft. Myers and Tampa (we do not want the eastern coast of FL). We are about to start a family and are looking for areas of these cities. Here are some of our desires:
-around 200K
-enough going on that we feel like there is at least something to do, but we are definitely over the fast paced city life
-a charming "downtown" area (not of the city in question, but of the suburb)
-good for families with young kids
-low crime
-good schools
-a backyard for kids and dog

I don't need a giant house, or anything too fancy.

I think we are leaning more towards Tampa/St. Pete, as it seems like a bigger city...but we are open to anything. I am just wondering from maybe those that live there, or have lived there, what is your preference of the cities? What are some good suburbs or pockets of each of these cities? Any pros and cons of the areas? Any help is surely appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Your job search will likely lead you to Tampa. Fort Myers was on of the hardest hit areas by the housing bust and recession and still lagging in recovery compared to some of the bigger metros. Tampa has more banking jobs to begin with.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,406 times
Ft Myers has homes around $200k.
That's about it for ft Myers. It doesn't really have anything else on your list.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 21,353 times
Thanks! What is the deal with sinkholes in Tampa? I am really concerned. I don't know how regular they are???

Old 05-07-2012, 01:38 PM

663 posts, read 1,144,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc2116 View Post
Thanks! What is the deal with sinkholes in Tampa? I am really concerned. I don't know how regular they are???
Seems like it is mostly a Pasco county issue. They occur in Hillsborough too, but I don't seem to hear about it much.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Not many sinkholes around Tampa except the area near USF. Tampa is pretty stable. The majority of sinkholes are in Hernando County, maybe some in Pasco.

At any rate, I would choose Tampa over Ft. Myers. You might take a look at the Sarasota area as well. It has the charming downtown, vibrant and only a mile to the beach (plus St. Armands Circle) Sarasota has great schools, both public and private. Tampa probably is the best options for jobs, but if you don't mind an hour commute you could live here - my husband commutes to downtown Tampa every day (one hour)

Otherwise, check out neighborhoods in south Tampa, however, your budget might be a little low for that area.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:13 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
Don't bother with Fort Myers. There is about nothing to do around here. Unless you want to go to the beach and only the beach. Tampa is your best bet. Charming downtown in FM is a big no. It's about the ugliest downtown of all of the cities I have lived in.

What is wrong with the east coast?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM

670 posts, read 1,277,526 times
Definitely Tampa. I have a friend that lives in Ft. Myers and finds it very boring there. We both moved to FL from the DC area and she is constantly coming to Tampa for "things to do". It has a higher older population and less entertainment attractions than Tampa has. Tampa is a pretty fun place all year round with many activities, concerts, parks, sporting events, parades, fairs, festivals, you name it. Bay News 9 is also great at posting events that are going on locally on the news every weekend which is a very helpful guide to what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida