Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 03:54 PM

151 posts, read 147,580 times

Advertisements

Back up to the Northeast or California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 03:57 PM

151 posts, read 147,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
He's still a stick of dynamite, except now he has access to a match. Or a whole box of matches.

And of course Trump is not a Republican by any definition. We know what he is, no need to repeat it, and I am now thinking of moving back to New Mexico from St Pete (one of the most liberal cities in the state) as New Mexico now has a Democratically controlled state house and senate. For me, this is a big positive. I have to get some space between me and the Trumpsters, at least for a while, to get some sense of reality from people I share values with. Trump supporters are not my kind of people, no matter what their reasons were for voting for him. You have to have SOME standards, but maybe not. I do anyway.

The electoral college system is ridiculous whether or not anyone is a liberal or a conservative. In a true democracy, one person and one vote is how it is supposed to go. The electoral college system is about what one would expect from the original "founding fathers" who, after briefly pausing from their largely successful genocidal efforts against the Native Americans, came up w/ the desired form of government that they envisioned.... one that was about protecting the rights of property owners and excluding women and minorities. Or, basically forgetting that they even existed. So we have an unsound system of governance from the very beginning, which has required one amendment after another to correct the bias that is inherent in it. Enlightened these folks weren't, they were all slave owners.

By the by, we are merrily responding to a four year old thread from someone that made this one post, never got back, and never posted anywhere again. Just sayin.
Lol dems preaching true democracy what a laugh.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:13 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
Lol dems preaching true democracy what a laugh.
Trump hated the electoral college in 2012 when Romney lost LMAO...moron hypocrite loved it last year though

Old 03-12-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespa56 View Post
Winter Park is heavy republican along with Baldwin Park next door. Best bet is downtown Orlando. I was hoping Baldwin Park would be more open minded and liberal, it is NOT.
Funny...didn't as a lot of red hats or confederate flags along park ave ot in front of the vegan restaurant on Fairbanks lol

Old 03-12-2018, 06:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
He's still a stick of dynamite, except now he has access to a match. Or a whole box of matches.

And of course Trump is not a Republican by any definition. We know what he is, no need to repeat it, and I am now thinking of moving back to New Mexico from St Pete (one of the most liberal cities in the state) as New Mexico now has a Democratically controlled state house and senate. For me, this is a big positive. I have to get some space between me and the Trumpsters, at least for a while, to get some sense of reality from people I share values with. Trump supporters are not my kind of people, no matter what their reasons were for voting for him. You have to have SOME standards, but maybe not. I do anyway.

The electoral college system is ridiculous whether or not anyone is a liberal or a conservative. In a true democracy, one person and one vote is how it is supposed to go. The electoral college system is about what one would expect from the original "founding fathers" who, after briefly pausing from their largely successful genocidal efforts against the Native Americans, came up w/ the desired form of government that they envisioned.... one that was about protecting the rights of property owners and excluding women and minorities. Or, basically forgetting that they even existed. So we have an unsound system of governance from the very beginning, which has required one amendment after another to correct the bias that is inherent in it. Enlightened these folks weren't, they were all slave owners.

By the by, we are merrily responding to a four year old thread from someone that made this one post, never got back, and never posted anywhere again. Just sayin.
A one party State is never a good idea, just look at the mess they have made in CA with unending taxes and fees, etc. Purple is good.

The US is NOT a democracy, it is a Democratic Republic. It balances the one vote with each State having an impact as well. A good idea.

Remember it was primarily Democrats that fought the changes in racial equality in the 60's and it was only because of Republicans the Civil Rights laws passed.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Remember it was primarily Democrats that fought the changes in racial equality in the 60's and it was only because of Republicans the Civil Rights laws passed.
Another right wing myth.. "Dixiecrats" were the racist democrats back then who basically became what are now modern day republicans in the south

The Conservative Fantasy History of Civil Rights

Old 03-16-2019, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 614 times
To the posters above, the United States in a Constitutional Repbublic and not a democracy as was stated. The Electoral College is in the US Constitution which is something liberals have probably never read.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:56 PM

6,413 posts, read 4,908,175 times
How about NYC, its as liberal as it comes.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:44 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopuga View Post
To the posters above, the United States in a Constitutional Repbublic and not a democracy as was stated.
That's not accurate. Our nation is a federal republic and a representative democracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopuga View Post
The Electoral College is in the US Constitution which is something liberals have probably never read.
Do you realize how childish - and ill-advised - it is to underestimate your competition? Beyond that, you're mistaking what you're actually seeing, i.e., opposition to how the Republican administration is abusing and harming the republic, with what you foolishly think is ignorance of the boundaries of just how much the Republican administration is constitutionally allowed to abuse its power and harm the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Would liberals be consistent if the situation were reversed?
I think the reality is that neither party can solve the problems caused by thirty five years of corruption of governance of the nation by both sides. So the choice is between the Republicans, who are as likely as not to put forward an idiot man-child to lead them and in the process actually cause direct harm to many people so that a few people can have a bit more luxury, and the Democrats, who are likely to harm the nation long-term by making things a little better for those most vulnerable and least fortunate in society in the short-term. But we're getting way off-topic.

For me, the choice was easy: Look at the last election and count votes per district, or if you can find the data, per precinct. I'm not sure that this link will work for you, but this is where I found the info I was looking for, for Osceola County:

https://results.enr.clarityelections...263/#/cid/0101
Attached Thumbnails
Best Florida Community for Liberal Transplants-osceola2018senatorial.jpg  

Old 03-18-2019, 06:25 AM

482 posts, read 419,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Another right wing myth.. "Dixiecrats" were the racist democrats back then who basically became what are now modern day republicans in the south

The Conservative Fantasy History of Civil Rights
He "debunks" a "myth" using a left wing NY opinion piece. Cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida