Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM

72 posts, read 152,478 times

Advertisements

26 yr. old female from Ohio. Looking to move South or West. I would like to know more about Florida. Can anyone suggest any cities for me to check out? I tend to be liberal in political views. I would like to live in an area that is forward thinking, and hopefully not too ignorant or racist. I have read negative reviews on Florida being conservative for the most part. Can you prove them wrong?? I'm very into health and wellness, living green, fitness, art, and dance. Hope to find a city that is full of culture, with other young professionals like myself. I will be looking for work in Graphic Design. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to give up on Florida! Thank you !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:58 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Orlando

Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 AM

134 posts, read 239,253 times
Quote:
I have read negative reviews on Florida being conservative for the most part
You have not met some of my family from Ohio then. They are beyond conservative as are many parts of Ohio. As for Florida, you should probably not stereotype the state as being conservative. While we have a lot of conservative areas, we also have a lot of moderate to liberal areas. I'm not really conservative either (Except in my faith but I don't believe in condemning others of pushing it on others) and am more Libertarian when it comes to things.

Moderate to liberal areas of Florida:

Miami
Ft. Lauderdale
Palm Beach
Orlando
Sarasota
Tampa (Though not in all areas)

Basically the beach/coastal areas are not very conservative. The large cities (Except for Jacksonville) and pretty moderate to liberal. The small, rural towns outside the coast and large cities tend to be very conservative. For example I live in the Florida Heartland which composes of Hardee, Highlands, Desoto, Okeechobee, Glades, and Hendry Counties. Most of the population is very southern, very Republican, very Evangelical (Especially Baptist) ect.

I hope this helps. I don't like living in a conservative area, I tend to be a social outcast. I would not feel comfortable in a liberal area though. I would rather live in a more moderate part of the state.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
Why segregate yourself? Pick an area that you find attractive and mix in. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and it's always better if those opinions are varied.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
In general, you'll have better luck along the coasts, as others have said. Orlando is the big exception, although Gainesville probably deserves a mention as well as it is a large college town.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:08 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungProfessional9 View Post
26 yr. old female from Ohio. Looking to move South or West. I would like to know more about Florida. Can anyone suggest any cities for me to check out? I tend to be liberal in political views. I would like to live in an area that is forward thinking, and hopefully not too ignorant or racist. I have read negative reviews on Florida being conservative for the most part. Can you prove them wrong?? I'm very into health and wellness, living green, fitness, art, and dance. Hope to find a city that is full of culture, with other young professionals like myself. I will be looking for work in Graphic Design. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to give up on Florida! Thank you !!
Given your criteria (particularly living green and art/dance/culture) and wanting to live in a city with many other liberal young professionals the only real choices are Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach with a maybe for St Petersburg or Sarasota (though it's quite small, only 50K population). Orlando and Tampa were among the bottom 10 in terms of number of college graduates among major cities which wouldn't bode well for meeting people similar to yourself.

America's brainiest places to live - Oct. 1, 2010

Old 04-12-2012, 07:34 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami HurricaneZ View Post
You have not met some of my family from Ohio then. They are beyond conservative as are many parts of Ohio. As for Florida, you should probably not stereotype the state as being conservative. While we have a lot of conservative areas, we also have a lot of moderate to liberal areas. I'm not really conservative either (Except in my faith but I don't believe in condemning others of pushing it on others) and am more Libertarian when it comes to things.

Moderate to liberal areas of Florida:

Miami
Ft. Lauderdale
Palm Beach
Orlando
Sarasota
Tampa (Though not in all areas)

Basically the beach/coastal areas are not very conservative. The large cities (Except for Jacksonville) and pretty moderate to liberal. The small, rural towns outside the coast and large cities tend to be very conservative. For example I live in the Florida Heartland which composes of Hardee, Highlands, Desoto, Okeechobee, Glades, and Hendry Counties. Most of the population is very southern, very Republican, very Evangelical (Especially Baptist) ect.

I hope this helps. I don't like living in a conservative area, I tend to be a social outcast. I would not feel comfortable in a liberal area though. I would rather live in a more moderate part of the state.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me.
A good list, my suggestions as well. We would need to know more about what you like - are you more laid-back and bohemian? Then you would probably like St. Pete or Sarasota on the Gulf Coast. You want more clubs and night life? Then you want Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Calm turquoise waters, white sands and sunsets? Gulf coast. Big waves, sunrise? The Atlantic coast.

I agree with others you probably want to stick to coastal towns. Tampa and Orlando are fairly large cities, but to me are overall more on the conservative side with a few "pockets" here and there.

ETA: I live in Sarasota, which is a city well-known for all that you are seeking. Population of city limits is only around 52,000 or so, but the unincorporated areas make it much larger. It has more arts, culture and amenities than any other city it's size here. And is one of the "greenest" in Florida, also a great organic food scene which is almost non-existent in central Florida (we used to live in Lakeland, very conservative NO good food culture at all!) Sarasota has it's own opera house, ballet company, Ringling Museum, plus the nationally acclaimed Ringling College of Art and Design, plus New College (considered a "hippie" college)

Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given your criteria (particularly living green and art/dance/culture) and wanting to live in a city with many other liberal young professionals the only real choices are Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach with a maybe for St Petersburg or Sarasota (though it's quite small, only 50K population). Orlando and Tampa were among the bottom 10 in terms of number of college graduates among major cities which wouldn't bode well for meeting people similar to yourself.

There are definite pockets of progressive people in and around downtown Orlando, especially college park/thorton park as well as in winter park. Lots of vegan/veg options, good farmers markets etc. as well as a decent theater/symphony. There's also a decent number of young profs who live downtown.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

West Palm Beach? I am curious why you would recommend WPB in terms of an area that a liberal or artsy person would enjoy.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 AM

492 posts, read 1,397,534 times
I agree with Pete C, scratch WPB off the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida