Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:37 AM

69 posts, read 126,333 times

Advertisements

well its a culture shock for the most part, these people are narrow minded, and hipocrits to say the least. They may smile at ya, but inside can't believe you are here and with an accent to top it off.. It is a beautiful place with less stress I will give you that, less taxes less insurance, yada yada. But I am curious how many of you; who have been in Miami or like me; who was lived in Miami since I was 2 actually move? One thing is to complain about gas,about milk, about TAXES, about INSURANCE, and TRAFFIC, one thing is to up and move like we did. I was just curious how many of you would really put your money where your mouth is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,219,959 times
i dont blame you for moving to tn. i may have tried a different spot in fla before moving all the way to tn. but moving out of miami was a great choice.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,771,735 times
You cannot go wrong moving from Miami, everyone I know that has done it has prospered. Miami is only for people with limited minds and deep pockets. The only good thing is that Miami natives have no accent unlike the rest of the South.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:01 PM

272 posts, read 1,532,482 times
I haven't always lived in FL so I do know what it's like to live elsewhere. I do know that I would not move to TN. We have friends who live in Memphis and they tried to get us to move there a few years ago. We've been there to visit them and I couldn't find a single thing that would entice me to move there. It's just not my cup of tea. I think calling the difference between TN and Miami a "culture shock" is probably a HUGE understatement.

My wife has been talking more frequently about leaving FL so I have started to seriously consider it. I didn't think I would a few years ago but now I have 2 kids and another on the way. FL has changed so much that I don't think this is the place I want to raise them. She's been looking at other areas so I'm sure she will let me know what places to check out. You know what they say, if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Unfortunately, we have a house to sell and it will probably just sit on the market for a year. There are already a lot of houses for rent in my area and, for the most part, they seem to be sitting vacant for a long time so I don't think that's a solution either. I would say selling the house is probably the only thing holding us back at this point.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,942,436 times
I would say west Tn. by any stretch of the imagination would not be a good choice.Many negative's.Eastern Tn.would be a much better choice.I have not heard of complaint's from this area,Memphis is a hot muggy area among other things.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:17 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,771,735 times
Can someone pleas explain why TN is so bad? Are the taxes high or is the economy as bad as Florida?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:08 PM

17,550 posts, read 39,181,819 times
Tennessee is NOT a bad state- it is a big state, and it varies greatly from region to region. Eastern Tennessee seems to be most popular for people coming from other states, it is near the mountains and border of Western NC, which is also hugely popular. The cities in this area have a lot to offer - two most popular are Knoxville and Chattanooga. Since this is a Florida forum, I think people interested in TN should go to that forum to discuss or ask questions. I do know there is a lot of bang for the buck there.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:35 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,219,959 times
deckardc, where u headed now?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:58 PM

713 posts, read 2,672,053 times
Default Yep, I know this story well...

Moving from S. FL to what I thought was greener pastures. Moved right back down. Next time I move (and will eventually do so), it will not be so far away. Maybe a bit up the coast. The poster who suggests taking little steps along the way (if one has the time and money) has the right idea.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:12 PM

272 posts, read 1,532,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
deckardc, where u headed now?
Nowhere yet. As I said, leaving would depend on selling our house which I don't see happening anytime soon. The market here is dead. I'm in IT so wherever we go it will have to have a fairly healthy IT industry.

My wife and I are originally from the Washington DC area but we've both been in Florida for about 18 years. There is no way we are going back to DC. I don't even like to go back to visit family.

I go to NASA Houston usually twice a year for work and I take the family with me, so we've had a chance to check out the area extensively. My wife has started suggesting that maybe we should consider moving there. I know it's not Utopia but there is no state income tax, no snow, and the cost of living is significantly better as are the schools. You can actually buy a 4000 sq. ft. house with a pool in a good neighborhood for under 200k.

We've also tossed around North and South Carolina. We have family in both states so we get the inside dirt from them. For us, North Carolina is probably the better choice.

I would consider somewhere like Colorado but my wife has ruled out any landlocked states.

My company has asked me to consider moving back to the Tampa area late next year to take over a project. In the past I would have jumped at the opportunity but now it's not as appealing as it once was. It would take significantly more money than they've offered me.

How about you? Any thoughts of leaving Puertolando?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida