Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:42 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
That said,and I have been talking about this in the Texas forum,you need other reasons to move somewhere else other then economic reasons.Otherwise you will become unhappy.

If you go somewhere else and start acting like "why can't this be more like Miami" on certain issues you'll probably be disappointed and people who are natives won't appreciate you too much.
I wholeheartedly agree! People that move from a place like Miami to a small town in the real south because they can get more sq ft for their $$$ and expect everyone to be just the way they are in Miami (which if you're leaving there, why on earth would you want the people to be the same???) seem to be out of touch. I mean, the OP seems to be in Dandridge, TN. I am not familiar at all with that area, but on the map it appears to be about 30 mi from Knoxville, not far from Pidgeon Forge and Gatlinburg (two towns that define the worst of tacky tourist attractions, can we all say "Dollywood" together?). Very close to the mountains. Generally, the closer to the mountains you get, you are going to find people that have lived there for generations, and are generally not used to newcomers. Not to mention, in recent years, you have a lot of cashouts coming up to the mountains, building monstrosity homes on the sides of lovely mountains, living there for a year, and when winter rolls around they chicken out and run back to the warmer climate. I'm sure the natives don't appreciate this too much.

In a nutshell, those moving from FL really need to research the areas that they want to go. Visit in all four seasons (yes, they actually do get all four seasons in most other places) to make sure the climate is agreeable to your needs/desires. Most of all, what kind of lifestyle do you really want. Living out in the country sounds great when you're sitting in a parking lot also known as I-95 at 4:30 on the way home from work, but is small town life really what you want? The grass is not always greener for everyone, and it most definitely won't be if a lot of soul searching and questioning isn't done before the jump.

I put my money where my mouth is and moved to get a better job and a better quality of life - not necessarily just ecomonically (although it's a little better here for someone like me without equity) - having been born and raised in Miami. I wanted to live somewhere where people still have common courtesy and respect for other human beings, have a sense of community, and define themselves in other ways besides just having the latest fashion accessories and a luxury vehicle. I also wanted at least a fighting chance of being able to afford a home as a first-time buyer, that isn't located in the worst possible areas of a city. I just wanted a place with an overall different attitude. I, thankfully, have found it! (for the time being....but that's another thread)

My parents are still in Miami and are getting ready to retire soon. They have been looking around and looked at Eastern TN since that is where a friend of theirs went. They visited a few areas a few times, and decided that it just didn't have the feel that they would like. Besides, my father just can't stand "cold" weather. They still haven't decided where they want to go (they just know that they really don't think Miami is the place for them anymore), but they are definitely carefully weighing their options. They have been in the same home for 30+ years, so it will be a huge leap for them.

Sorry for the novel...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I wholeheartedly agree! People that move from a place like Miami to a small town in the real south because they can get more sq ft for their $$$ and expect everyone to be just the way they are in Miami (which if you're leaving there, why on earth would you want the people to be the same???) seem to be out of touch. I mean, the OP seems to be in Dandridge, TN. I am not familiar at all with that area, but on the map it appears to be about 30 mi from Knoxville, not far from Pidgeon Forge and Gatlinburg (two towns that define the worst of tacky tourist attractions, can we all say "Dollywood" together?). Very close to the mountains. Generally, the closer to the mountains you get, you are going to find people that have lived there for generations, and are generally not used to newcomers. Not to mention, in recent years, you have a lot of cashouts coming up to the mountains, building monstrosity homes on the sides of lovely mountains, living there for a year, and when winter rolls around they chicken out and run back to the warmer climate. I'm sure the natives don't appreciate this too much.

In a nutshell, those moving from FL really need to research the areas that they want to go. Visit in all four seasons (yes, they actually do get all four seasons in most other places) to make sure the climate is agreeable to your needs/desires. Most of all, what kind of lifestyle do you really want. Living out in the country sounds great when you're sitting in a parking lot also known as I-95 at 4:30 on the way home from work, but is small town life really what you want? The grass is not always greener for everyone, and it most definitely won't be if a lot of soul searching and questioning isn't done before the jump.

I put my money where my mouth is and moved to get a better job and a better quality of life - not necessarily just ecomonically (although it's a little better here for someone like me without equity) - having been born and raised in Miami. I wanted to live somewhere where people still have common courtesy and respect for other human beings, have a sense of community, and define themselves in other ways besides just having the latest fashion accessories and a luxury vehicle. I also wanted at least a fighting chance of being able to afford a home as a first-time buyer, that isn't located in the worst possible areas of a city. I just wanted a place with an overall different attitude. I, thankfully, have found it! (for the time being....but that's another thread)

Oh, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My parents are still in Miami and are getting ready to retire soon. They have been looking around and looked at Eastern TN since that is where a friend of theirs went. They visited a few areas a few times, and decided that it just didn't have the feel that they would like. Besides, my father just can't stand "cold" weather. They still haven't decided where they want to go (they just know that they really don't think Miami is the place for them anymore), but they are definitely carefully weighing their options. They have been in the same home for 30+ years, so it will be a huge leap for them.

Sorry for the novel...
I was just about to come along and add my two cents (y'all knew I would, didn't you?) and I find this.

I really don't have much more to add!

I will say that Florida is the real South. It's just really hard to find.

Give Tennessee and the Carolinas a minute and after all the whiners get up here, looking for their cheap early bird special (aren't they always?) The South will look like Florida.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:23 AM

670 posts, read 1,743,195 times
Default Ok, I'll answer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolorzanoAssociates View Post
well its a culture shock for the most part, these people are narrow minded, and hipocrits to say the least. They may smile at ya, but inside can't believe you are here and with an accent to top it off.. It is a beautiful place with less stress I will give you that, less taxes less insurance, yada yada. But I am curious how many of you; who have been in Miami or like me; who was lived in Miami since I was 2 actually move? One thing is to complain about gas,about milk, about TAXES, about INSURANCE, and TRAFFIC, one thing is to up and move like we did. I was just curious how many of you would really put your money where your mouth is!
Your question was:
"But I am curious how many of you; who have been in Miami or like me; who was lived in Miami since I was 2 actually move? I was just curious how many of you would really put your money where your mouth is!"

I did

_

But not to Tennessee.
Mt. Dora's just fine by me.
Did my time in the armed services and I don't care what others say about West Virginia, the Carolinas and Tenn. Not my cup of tea. I'll stay in Fl thank you. See Burt Reynolds and Voight in deliverance? _

Seriously, I can think of a number of places in Fl (not Tampa-St Pete or Orlando or Miami or Melbourne that are quite decent places) some small, some mid-sized towns.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:09 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
my $'s on the table up here in TN now

-from a FL native with the last 21 years spent in Dade/Broward

it's real bad up here....everyone in FL should stay put
(*is that something in my eye *)

Old 09-16-2007, 11:33 AM

393 posts, read 1,736,570 times
Please keep the flow going to the carolinas and Georgia, everyone leaving FL will be neighbors again up there. I understand those states actually want the new folks. Please don't move to TN and expect it to be like .....wherever.....in FL and try to change TN into whatever you had in FL. It is apples and oranges. FL is FL and TN is TN. We did not expect FL to be like IL and we don't expect MO to be like TN. And therein lies the beauty ....

Old 09-16-2007, 12:18 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
Well said!

Old 09-16-2007, 03:49 PM

11 posts, read 66,919 times
I am looking forward to leaving South Florida within the next few years. I have only lived here for 6 years though. Started off in Miami and now in Palm Beach...I loved it when I first got here (Grew up in NY), lived on the beach and was just enjoying it...Now I hate the heat, the traffic, the hustle and bustle and can't wait to get out. I bought a vacation home in North Georgia (about an hour from TN) and can't wait to move up there. Most of the people who live in the development I bought are transpanters too, some floridians and some northernors as far as MASS.
North Georgia is definetly changing, still has a small town feel though..but development is making everything accessible, which is something I want..I don't want to be in the boondocks...But the VIEW is spectacular...the mountain views are breathtaking.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,193 times
Red face South Floridan Looking to Move North to a Family Community like Miami was in the 70's, any suggestions?

I am a florida native. I lived in North Miami Beach, FL. for 32 years & now in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. for the last 8 years. The community has totally changed & not for the best. I am wanting to move North, but still stay in Florida. Any suggestions for a great family community, with good schools & good stores and resturants. And with locals who all speak the same lanquage(preferablly not spanish). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
unhappy in s fl, i would try northern fla. because this statement, and i quote, "And with locals who all speak the same lanquage(preferablly not spanish)" is not going to happen in the orlando area, that's for sure. orlando may be able to give miami a run for it's money in about 7-10 yrs. just my 2 cents.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Why don't we just get together and take over an inland county like Glades, Okeechobee or Hendry? We buy up the land, buy and sell to eachother, lowering the price each time. Develop our own businesses and outlaw HOA's and create a rural feel that no Yuppie or carpetbagger would want to move to. Any illegals who come in get a free ride to the county line. Big $$$ developers get a free day at the gator tourist attraction, at gator level! Maybe a vigilante group like those "earth liberationists" to scare off the builders. If we control the county we control taxes and discourage crime. Instead of a "drive by" shooting they become drive-thru target practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida