Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times

Advertisements

What about Huntsville Alabama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 03:23 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,388,345 times
Well I moved out of Miami for alot of reasons and every single reason I did so has been a smart move so far.My job offered me to come back....phfttt!!!

I went through Tennessee,didn't like Memphis but Nashville and Knoxville was pretty good....I liked it.It all depends on how you treat people as to how you will be treated most of the time,I had a good impression of people there.

That said,and I have been talking about this in the Texas forum,you need other reasons to move somewhere else other then economic reasons.Otherwise you will become unhappy.

If you go somewhere else and start acting like "why can't this be more like Miami" on certain issues you'll probably be disappointed and people who are natives won't appreciate you too much.

And the southern accent,personally I love women's southern accent around there,so sexy.!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:31 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,661 times
"How about you? Any thoughts of leaving Puertolando?"

hahaha... oh yeah. ive thought about it alright. i'd like to go to st johns co or vero bch. those type of areas appeal to me. quiet, friendly, low crime, more civil ppl than orlando. i've also thought about the idea of POSSIBLY relocating back to the carolina's. the greenville, sc area actually. but i'd rather find a good spot in fla first, i just hope there are still some good spots left. a lot of cities, including orlando, are just going down the tubes. they are certainly not what they once were. it sucks.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 PM

518 posts, read 2,225,813 times
I cannot fault anyone for wanting to leave South Florida. Most of the reasoning is valid, especially for middle-class families who are being priced out of this area. However, should you decide that Tennessee is where you want to move, do your homework and be careful about buying property in developments that advertise heavily to Floridians who don't know any better and are so eager to leave that they'll jump at the opportunity. Many of these developments are selling overpriced land and are located in remote areas that have few, if any, of the amenities we take for granted here.

My wife and I checked out some land on the Cumberland Plateau as part of a free fly-in weekend a few years back and were disappointed, even though the area was beautiful. The closest shopping was 30 minutes away -- and Wal-Mart was the only option. The closest health care is an hour away -- heaven forbid you have a medical emergency. The county is dry; you have to drive 45 minutes to the nearest restaurant that serves beer or wine with dinner. The local economy is depressed and decent job opportunities are 50 miles away -- that drive is a consideration as oil and gas prices climb. And forget about cultural offerings. The final straw was the developer's less-than-honorable sales tactics, but we'd made up our minds already, anyway.

The eastern half of Tennessee is beautiful and there are good reasons for moving there; it's still possible we would retire there someday -- but only near a somewhat urbanized area. If you're used to having things close by, it's probably best to check out the areas around Chattanooga, Knoxville or Johnson City -- you can buy property at a fair price and enjoy the state's beauty, slower pace and lower cost of living without feeling like you're in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:49 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Default Hey Rick.........

Quote:
Tallrick said: Can someone pleas explain why TN is so bad? Are the taxes high or is the economy as bad as Florida?
Tennesse is not bad at all.... for most. Rick...Your in Fla long enough to know how new residents (some) expect the red carpet, and try to alter the world around them, to meet their needs. Well ... those same types of ppl who arrived in Fla... try the same thing in Tn. They get disappointed, they complain, some get mad and blame those "narrow minded locals". Sheeeesh........ doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?? That's a definition of insanity. Your right Rick... some ppl will never get it.

Tennessee is a fine place , with good honest ppl, who take pride in their independent nature. They are the last to ask for help and the first to offer. I choose Tn as my second home (after Fla.) because it offers the same values as Florida did originally. Friendly ppl, great weather, beautiful country side and affordable living.

What else does a boy need?

oh yeah...... good fishing!

Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 AM

who's in tn doing all the complaining now? the half-backs? b/c it's not the native floridians. they dont want to change a thing usually and enjoy the slower pace lifestyle.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,505 times
We have been looking for property in eastern Tn for about 6 months now. This will be a second home for us and we may be interested in renting it for a couple of years with the intention of making it our permanent home in retirement. What are the best communities in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, etc. We don't want cramped spaces (at least a .5 acres) but we want to be close to town (within 5 miles or so). There are so many areas and we don't know which ones are considered "upscale". Can any one help?

Last edited by jarinnj; 09-13-2007 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-13-2007, 10:29 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Try the Tennessee forum.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,505 times
Default Eastern Tn and best housing ares

We love the scenery in Eastern Tn but we know it is very touristry. What areas are more upscale yet favorable for rental potential with eventual permanent residency in retirement?

Old 09-13-2007, 01:24 PM

try the tn forums. although many floridians are moving there, you'll probably get better info on the tn forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida