Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:03 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times

Advertisements

Minimum wage is $7.21/ hour at Publix (Florida state), as directed by the US Department of Labor. Every state's minimum wage is set by the US Dept. of Labor, and differ from state to state !)
http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm#Florida

Publix sets the wages on a lot of criteria: Department, full or part time, experience etc.
Some people (I was one of them) were lucky enough to be hired full time immediately. (But, that was years ago, and times sure have changed)

Now it is fairly common to be hired part time first.
The meat department (where I am currently a manager) has the highest "top out" pay rate within the store's departments (unless you are hired in the pharmacy, and have the experience)

Publix is still financially stable, has a good and stable track record.......and NO DEBT to ANYONE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 02:20 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
It depends on where the location of the store is. I got a full time position when I was 17-18 at Publix down in the Keys (Marathon) and I started pay rate at $8.00 for a cashier.

Pay at Publix ranges from minimum wage which is like $6.55 (but $7.25 after July 24, 2009) and up. Stockers make decent money-bakery and meat make similar to what the cashiers make (I know this because my roommate worked in the bakery and my ex-husband worked in the meat department).

Publix is a good place to work for. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2009, 05:54 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
It depends on where the location of the store is. I got a full time position when I was 17-18 at Publix down in the Keys (Marathon) ....
Pay at Publix ranges from minimum wage which is like $6.55 (but $7.25 after July 24, 2009) and up. .....
meat make similar to what the cashiers make .....
Publix is a good place to work for. Good luck!
Publix started to implement the new minimum wage increase into their new hires. (So, it's not going to get crazy raising everyone "up", when the law kicks into effect.)
There are certain areas, where Publix pays out more (starting rate), due to different counties and location.
Example: Martin county pays .25 cents more then St. Lucie County. The "Keys" is a different thing altogether, getting way higher starting rates, due to the location. (The keys are not cheap by any means), and it's a lot based on the "cost of living".

It is possible, that when one starts out in the meat department, that the wage will (at one point) be equal to that of a cashier.
BUT, cashiers top out way lower then the Meat pay rate.
(Lunchmeat & Cheese Clerk top out at $12.50 or so, Meatcutters top out at $16.25/ hour !)

The meat dept. has the highest "top out" wage (as a meat cutter) of any in-store department. (Not taking the pharmacy into account, where techs there can make as much as $27 to $30/ hour ! Trained and with degree, of course)

Publix is a good and stable company to work for, IMHO.
And, the longer you stay, the more it will pay out (401 K and stocks).

Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Publix started to implement the new minimum wage increase into their new hires. (So, it's not going to get crazy raising everyone "up", when the law kicks into effect.)
There are certain areas, where Publix pays out more (starting rate), due to different counties and location.
Example: Martin county pays .25 cents more then St. Lucie County. The "Keys" is a different thing altogether, getting way higher starting rates, due to the location. (The keys are not cheap by any means), and it's a lot based on the "cost of living".

It is possible, that when one starts out in the meat department, that the wage will (at one point) be equal to that of a cashier.
(Lunchmeat & Cheese Clerk top out at $12.50 or so, Meatcutters top out at $16.25/ hour !)

The meat dept. has the highest "top out" wage (as a meat cutter) of any in-store department. (Not taking the pharmacy into account, where techs there can make as much as $27 to $30/ hour ! Trained and with degree, of course)

Just wanted to add, that bakery "non-management" top out at $14 for bakers and decorators. Clerks are around $13.50 or so in TN. Deli and produce top out at $13.75 in TN. These pay rates are for fulltime. South Florida tops out at around .50 more an hour, due to the cost of living.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
Yes, I lived in the keys for years and it is expensive to live there...but I don't remember my ex-hubby getting paid anything remotely close to that as a meat cutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post

Old 04-21-2009, 12:18 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Yes, I lived in the keys for years and it is expensive to live there...but I don't remember my ex-hubby getting paid anything remotely close to that as a meat cutter.
Then he wasn't topped out. It also depends on how long ago he worked there and for how long. The top out quoted here is today's wages.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
My daughter works in Loss Prevention. When she was still living here in Florida, she looked at getting a job in Publix. Loss Prevention (Security) is full time and considered management. She was very surprised to learn that Publix starting salary ($13/hour) for this position with only 1 year experience, was only a dollar less than she had been making at a very high end retail store in NY. She has 9 years experience in this field. They also have an entire corporate department for Loss Prevention in Lakeland. Unfortuantely, we live nowhere near Lakeland.

Publix pays their employees VERY WELL. That is not even including the BENEFITS they give. Good company to work for, especially if you are considered "management".

Old 08-27-2011, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 32,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
Looking to relocate to Florida and was wondering if Publix hires Full time immedairly or do yo uhave to start at Part itme anyone know? Also anyone have a clue at starting wages in store like seafood clerk, bakery clerk , mimimum wage? What is the minimum wage in Florida? Thanks folks.........
Very, very rarely do they hire full time. Usually people start off part-time and you have to earn a full time spot. Most of which go to people working in the deli or meat departments. I've worked in the deli for 2 years now, and make about $9/hr. A friend of mine worked in the deli for 1 1/2 years and seafood for a couple of years and makes around $10/hr. And my boyfriend, has been working as a meat cutter now for 2 years and makes $16.05/hr. It really depends on the department and time you've put in. But, in my dept they usually start you off at around $8/hr. Minumum wage is now $7.21 I believe. Hope I helped.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 28,670 times
I know someone who has worked at Albertsons and claims to make 60,000 a year and has worked there for about 4 years maybe. Is he lying? He started off in produce. I did the math and that would mean he makes over $100 an hour on a 40 hour week. This sounds like bs to me

Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeone View Post
I know someone who has worked at Albertsons and claims to make 60,000 a year and has worked there for about 4 years maybe. Is he lying? He started off in produce. I did the math and that would mean he makes over $100 an hour on a 40 hour week. This sounds like bs to me
Of course it is BS. Unless he was the general manager of the whole store, and it doesn't sound like it.

I know someone who has been at Publix for 2 yrs and still can't get full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida