Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:05 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,486,748 times

Advertisements

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...13/story1.html

I was just doing a bit of reading on the downsides of being employed for Disney. Looks like they're not alone.

Speaking of low wages~it appears that Publix will now be lowering their pay scale by 50 cents per hour. This will affect new employees and also employees who have hit the top of the former pay scale. They will lose 50 cents per hour for wages. HMMM, thought wages normally went up. It's just strange since it's often been posted that Publix is a very good place for general employment. They want to remain competitive so of course the employees will get the bad end of the deal. One of the areas mentioned is South Florida so I'm not sure if it'll affect Orlando or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 09:14 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,500,326 times
Default Why??

Wow......did they say why? Can't they just cut upper management's pay instead? Why is that never an option?

Publix has a good thing going and overall, excellent employees on the front line, they are worth every penny they're paid, and then some.

Shame shame Publix!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:38 PM

I totally agree with you. Can you imagine being some of the people who've worked there for years and topped out in salary only to be cut now.

Publix has such a good rep that this is really surprising. It will affect a lot of stores including some in Fla.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:58 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,500,326 times
I'd rather they raise their prices, seriously.

Another few pennies on my grocery bill would be a better option - I don't shop there for their prices, when I'm feeling poor I head over to Walmart for my groceries, I shop at Publix because the store is clean, employees are friendly and available when you need them, the stores are never too crowded (at least by me) and they carry the items I need.

I really thought they were more progressive than to do something like this.

Bad Publix! Bad!

Old 04-19-2007, 05:14 AM

672 posts, read 908,671 times
I am assuming they are not union. The major supermarket chains here in NY are union. The workers would probably strike if the stores tried to do something like that. My daughter used work at a major supermarket chain in the NE. However, she was a security guard (loss prevention) and was considered "management". As such, she could not join the union. Management? Yeah, right.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:47 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,063,656 times
it's pretty sad but that the current trend of employers. cut in order to give themselves more bonuses. have you what Circuit City is doing? eliminating 3500 jobs and creating "new" ones with lower wages, and on top of this current employees have to wait 10 weeks from the job posting date to "re-apply" for it.
This trend has to do a lot with the Global economy or should I say the "outsourcing" of jobs overseas. always looking for cheaper labor.
from manufacturing to Information Technology, jobs are being eliminated in the US.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:54 AM

17,569 posts, read 39,232,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I am assuming they are not union. The major supermarket chains here in NY are union. The workers would probably strike if the stores tried to do something like that. My daughter used work at a major supermarket chain in the NE. However, she was a security guard (loss prevention) and was considered "management". As such, she could not join the union. Management? Yeah, right.
There is no union in Florida.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
There is no union in Florida.
That's the same thing I was wondering since Fla. isn't a union state.. But you know, it's sad when we start thinking that we NEED a union just to get a fair deal from our employer.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:57 AM

17,569 posts, read 39,232,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
That's the same thing I was wondering since Fla. isn't a union state.. But you know, it's sad when we start thinking that we NEED a union just to get a fair deal from our employer.
Any talk of unions gets folks fired. My mom worked for years in an un-airconditioned sewing factory, for slave wages and no paid vacation and died of lung cancer after years of inhaling fibers and dye chemicals.

The fact is, the wages for most jobs in Florida are low, and going lower, there have been many articles recently about how many companies are laying of thousands of workers. Job market is going from bad to worse with the economic situation we have in this state right now. Anyone who has a good job here should hang on to it and thank your lucky stars. Right now my hubby is working for the county and it's a good job, but have no idea what the looming tax cuts will bring. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,063,656 times
nowdays, good jobs are going away. Government organization are facing financial isuues due to the slowish economy.
I see more and more people going in business for themselves. and the best sector is providing services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida