Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:19 PM

30,285 posts, read 23,772,836 times

Advertisements

I'm quite surprised. I know FL has some pollution but I could have sworn other states were more toxic.

Ohio Tops List of Most Toxic States | Air Pollution | Fossil Fuels & Power Plants | LiveScience

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 04:34 PM

17,550 posts, read 39,177,121 times
I think a lot of people like to stir the pot on the Florida forum.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,252,344 times
I'm sure all those prescribed burns dont help. It does get pretty nasty at times.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:10 PM

Are you implying that I'm trying to "stir the pot"? If so, just come out and say it, I don't like passive aggressive.

I'm simply linking a story and discussing it...considering this is a forum, where people discuss things...like articles they find about states they live in or used to live in...

AS I said, I was quite surprised by this. I used to live in FL. I just left there a little over two months ago. TO ME, it didn't seem very toxic, HENCE the post asking what others thought about it.

Thank you for discussing the TOPIC.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:19 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,940,422 times
Well gotta look at specifics. Kinda looks like a PR piece. Notice nuclear is listed 2nd as an option, while it shows "smoky" stacks. Altho not sure why it would be surprising based on what is mentioned. Lot of energy use in FL. Doesn't strike me as environmental or humanitarian state. Probably all the states could do much better.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Well gotta look at specifics. Kinda looks like a PR piece. Notice nuclear is listed 2nd as an option, while it shows "smoky" stacks. Altho not sure why it would be surprising based on what is mentioned. Lot of energy use in FL. Doesn't strike me as environmental or humanitarian state. Probably all the states could do much better.
No doubt they could. I think I got hung up on the air pollution part. Florida as a state is not very wide and has oceans on both sides allowing the air to carry the pollutions away. Frankly, I found the air quality to be pretty good, not much in the way of smog to speak of, (like some other places where you can see the smog miles before you get there), and skies always seemed to be very clear and bright. Yes, the sun shines and that helps with brightness but there wasn't a lot, to me, hanging around in the air that we breathed.

I think there is a lot of pollution from the agriculture. I worked in the Everglades and that was an ongoing topic...but nuclear plants, smoke stacks and dirty air...I'm sure there are other places far worse than FL. Just surprised me to see it listed as #3.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:06 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,635,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No doubt they could. I think I got hung up on the air pollution part. Florida as a state is not very wide and has oceans on both sides allowing the air to carry the pollutions away. Frankly, I found the air quality to be pretty good, not much in the way of smog to speak of, (like some other places where you can see the smog miles before you get there), and skies always seemed to be very clear and bright. Yes, the sun shines and that helps with brightness but there wasn't a lot, to me, hanging around in the air that we breathed.

I think there is a lot of pollution from the agriculture. I worked in the Everglades and that was an ongoing topic...but nuclear plants, smoke stacks and dirty air...I'm sure there are other places far worse than FL. Just surprised me to see it listed as #3.
Lake Okeechobee had and still has a serious problem with regards to agricultural runoff. It does not help that at its deepest it is only 10+ feet.

I have lived here for 5+ years (SoFL) and I can honestly say I don't get how FL can be #3 on that list. Oh well....

OD

Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,326,725 times
I've read the study and I don't get it. It's from a reputable source and it is regarding air pollution.

Does Florida have that many power plants? We have a lot in TN and we were 15th. We also have some of the cheapest electricity in the country thanks to the Tennessee Valley Authority, the TVA. If there are that many power plants then why is electricity so darn high in Florida? Maybe it's because the TVA is federally owned.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,476,629 times
OP - Maybe Florida in general has pollution because of certain areas of Florida. I don't think all of Florida has bad air quality. Miami was just ranked with one of the cities with the cleanest air quality. Jacksonville on the other hand I can understand with the paper plant there.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,542,018 times
Hik,
I'm 40 miles from one of the biggest hydroelectric power plants anywhere....Niagara Falls, and my electric bills are higher here in NY then in Florida....but, back to topic.....

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida