Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 04:48 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer-Girl View Post
So, in terms of wave size, NC doesn't seem to be too different from FL...

My vacation is probably going to be either October/November or March/April.

I prefer water temps to be warm enough to wear boardshorts; I'm not a huge fan of full wetsuits.

And yeah, when I was in Cooca Beach (early summer), the waves were pretty small. They weren't bad just to play around in, but... yeah.

I'll definitely have to look into Sebastian Inlet. And renting out Typhoon sounds like it'd be fun, too, if I can get a few more friends to go with me.

Thanks for your help, everyone!
I've only ever surfed in Florida and Texas, so my experience is honestly very limited...but I've been told that most Florida waves aren't that great from people that have surfed elsewhere. If Cocoa disappointed you, might be disappointed with anything in Florida. The best surf times are when there's a storm somewhere out in the Atlantic and it pushes the water toward the coast. Other than that, it's hit or miss...it's not like there's some spot where it's always really good. There were days in HS where I'd paddle out from Carlin Park in Jupiter and sit there riding swells for an hour at a time, talking with my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 05:11 PM

69 posts, read 203,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
If Cocoa disappointed you, might be disappointed with anything in Florida. The best surf times are when there's a storm somewhere out in the Atlantic and it pushes the water toward the coast.
It didn't disappoint me. I actually really liked the area. The waves just weren't that big. But it's not that big of a deal since I'm not North Shore of Hawaii experienced.

I'm not a pro surfer by any means, so I don't want like massively huge waves; just decent sized ones.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:33 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
The best waves are near the inlets, Ponce in the south end of Daytona and Sebastian in south Brevard. Flagler Beach is appealing at times. Obviously, you don't need the best waves to be the best. Two world champion female surfers are from this area.

Woman of the Year
Frieda Zamba Biography

Good Luck!

Old 07-17-2011, 12:47 AM

129 posts, read 448,197 times
Kelly Slater grew up in Cocoa Beach by the way, considered to be one of the best, if not the best surfer in the world.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 AM

Very true.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:03 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
Cool Best Rides in FL

The main areas of FL to surf are from Flagler Beach south to Sebastian/Jensen Beach.

Surfing culture hangouts are:
  • Flagler Beach
  • Daytona Beach Pier
  • New Smyrna Beach
  • Cocoa Beach
  • Sebastian
Here's some gnarly links to check out!
About New Smyrna Beach, Florida's "Smyrna Surfari Club"
Daytona Beach Surf Report and Daytona Beach Surf Forecast - Florida SurfCams
DB Surf -Daytona Beaches Source For:Live Cams, Beach Cams, Cameras, Pictures, Live Cams

Best times of year to ride are Nov - Mar and Summer storms (watch 4 the lightning and water spouts)!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
The main areas of FL to surf are from Flagler Beach south to Sebastian/Jensen Beach.

Surfing culture hangouts are:
  • Flagler Beach
  • Daytona Beach Pier
  • New Smyrna Beach
  • Cocoa Beach
  • Sebastian
Here's some gnarly links to check out!
About New Smyrna Beach, Florida's "Smyrna Surfari Club"
Daytona Beach Surf Report and Daytona Beach Surf Forecast - Florida SurfCams
DB Surf -Daytona Beaches Source For:Live Cams, Beach Cams, Cameras, Pictures, Live Cams

Best times of year to ride are Nov - Mar and Summer storms (watch 4 the lightning and water spouts)!

Awesome, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida