Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,899,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsNucksFan21 View Post
Funny thing is this is called the sunshine state but Colorado has more sun light than Florida!
The company my wife works for here in Houston has their corporate office in my hometown of Tampa. They offered her a transfer and a pay raise to relocate. It was hard to have her turn it down but we're holding out for Boston, Denver, Portland, or Nashville. We really miss Nashville.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:28 AM

97 posts, read 231,403 times
Default invasive species

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsNucksFan21 View Post
I was born in Nashville,TN but lived most of my life here in Orlando,FL. When 9/11 happenneed my dad lost his job. He got a job in Denver Colorado. I lived there for 12 months then returned to Orlando. I have to stay that was the best 12 months of my life. Living in Colorado is so much better than Florida(in my opinion). The problem is my passions are Ice Hockey and Snowboarding, which there is no ski slopes and snow in the state. There are very little ice hockey rings in the state. So this adds to the hate for me for the state of Florida with heat, humid and bad crime rate. Its sad to say I never felt more at home in Colorado for 12 months than I ever had in Florida(which I lived for about 16 years. Right now I'm extremely depressed living in FL. When I see the winter olympics and NHL games come on. Thank god I'm almost done with college, then I'm leaving this hot humid hell for Colorado. I want to be a cop but Florida has one of the most cop killings in the country which adds more of the things I hate of this state.

Thinks I hate about this state: The heat, humid, crime rate, no snow ever, bad education system, major drug trafficing, ugly scenery(woo swamps are ugly to look at and all beaches look the same), stupid laws that protect gators who creep in ever single body of water which makes it dangerious to swim in(for god sakes they are overpopulated the state.)
Those little to big bastards get in my pool when they get the chance.

The only 2 postive about this state is my family lives here(which I just don't understand why they like it here) and the beatiful city of Saint Augustine! You can also put the new Amway Center built in Orlando(I work as security there and its the best looking arean I ever seen)

Funny thing is this is called the sunshine state but Colorado has just as most sun light than Florida!
Weather Facts and Figures hottest coldest sunny cloudy windy
Wow! what is your take on the pythons that are threatening to rule the state? They are scary to think about especially if they adapt and migrate northward and slither back when it begins to get cold. Maybe they are already up this way by now. I do not know if gators get in every body of water up here. There is a small lake right outside my window and there supposedly is not any in there, nor have there ever been.It scares me at night if I walk my dachshunds around the lake though, but I have never seen the glowing eyez. Do you know how far north that they can be found with regularity in just any old body of water? Or do they usually stay in their habitat around here or when you reach a certain part North? Thanks.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 AM

17,539 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
The company my wife works for here in Houston has their corporate office in my hometown of Tampa. They offered her a transfer and a pay raise to relocate. It was hard to have her turn it down but we're holding out for Boston, Denver, Portland, or Nashville. We really miss Nashville.
Hi TXRyan. I thought you guys were actually looking to return to Florida? I can't believe your wife turned down a transfer and pay raise in this economy. I think Tampa and the whole Tampa Bay area is a great place to live. Job-wise, it sure has been good to my husband, and of course Tampa is my home town.

I've never been to Nashville, what is it you like better there? (just bein' nosy! )

Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,425,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Most people have no problem with the idea that becoming a long term resident of (for example) Germany, without bothering to learn the German language well or hew to German customs, is an insult to Germans. Yet when immigrants do exactly that here, it's racist to make note of the fact.
If you notice my comment I said "A lot of the locals complain nonstop about the large number of Spanish speaking residents, usually coupled with a subtly racist comment." I have an issue with the racist comments, not the fact that someone thinks non-English speakers should learn English. Racist comments are never OK in my book.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:18 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
I would agree with your comments to a great extent. I just don't think EVERYONE who moves there is trying to escape problems and Florida IS a great state.

I think people often move there, or when moving to any tourist area, thinking it will be like being on vacation all the time. Ultimately, what it boils down to is EXPECTATIONS. They expect things to be a certain way and when they are disappointed the most obvious and closest object of their dissatisfaction is where they moved to. Sometimes, they're right - they just ended up in the wrong place.

And sometimes, they just like to whine. I lived there long enough to be disgusted with those who moved there from somewhere else and complained about any and everything and "we did it X way back home." I wanted to say, "well then, go back home and leave us alone here, we really don't care HOW you did it back home." At the same time, being older and (hopefully wiser) I understand how it is to move someplace totally "foreign" and be disappointed that it's not the way you thought it would be or just be unable to adjust. Sometimes it's the place - sometimes it's just the person. Either way, they should just move on as soon as possible.

Yes I agree with you too and this is exactly what my thoughts wanted to put down on the pc screen in words.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hi TXRyan. I thought you guys were actually looking to return to Florida? I can't believe your wife turned down a transfer and pay raise in this economy. I think Tampa and the whole Tampa Bay area is a great place to live. Job-wise, it sure has been good to my husband, and of course Tampa is my home town.

I've never been to Nashville, what is it you like better there? (just bein' nosy! )
I thought I wanted to come home but then my brain overruled my heart. We agreed that she turn down the job transfer offer because of the overall nightmare of the lifestyle in the Bay area. We have a young son and I don't want him going to school in Hillsborough County. It's a shame because I went to school in HC but a few relatives (one that's a teacher) said the schools are now horrible.

The cost of living isn't much better and we can't afford to live in Pinellas.. then when you include the other "fees" like our car insurance quote of $500/mo. and DL fees of $70 per person and car registration fees of $500 per car it just doesn't add up.

To answer your question about Nashville.. It's an unique city. Everyone thinks "Country Music" but it's so much more then that. There is live jazz, blues, country, and rock there every night downtown, The city isn't huge and overcrowded (yet) like many areas in Florida (and TX for that matter) but the best parts are that Nashville is surrounded by rolling foothills and you can get to delta type land 3 hours west in Memphis or mountains 3 hours east in Knoxville and Chattanooga. There are seasons and snow fall and cold weather (not frigid) in the winter. Plus, for the most part people are friendly.

Another bonus (unlike living in Tampa or areas further south) you can get to other major cities fairly quick. When we lived there we would make weekend trips to Atlanta, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, Little Rock, Birmingham, St. Louis, Cincinnati, and for an extended weekend we could hit Chicago and/or New Orleans.. the previous are all within 5 hours and the latter are within 8 hours.

I never liked being stuck down the shaft of Florida. I kinda have that same feeling living in Texas, I'm isolated and my only option for a quick roadtrip (out of state) is Louisiana.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:35 PM

17,539 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Good luck to you "TxRyan." If Nashville is where you really would like to end up, then hopefully it happens for you soon and you can be TNRyan again! We all have our different preferences.

I guess this Florida gal just has that salty air in her blood and sand in her toes.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

To answer your question about Nashville.. It's an unique city. Everyone thinks "Country Music" but it's so much more then that. There is live jazz, blues, country, and rock there every night downtown, The city isn't huge and overcrowded (yet) like many areas in Florida (and TX for that matter) but the best parts are that Nashville is surrounded by rolling foothills and you can get to delta type land 3 hours west in Memphis or mountains 3 hours east in Knoxville and Chattanooga. There are seasons and snow fall and cold weather (not frigid) in the winter. Plus, for the most part people are friendly.

Another bonus (unlike living in Tampa or areas further south) you can get to other major cities fairly quick. When we lived there we would make weekend trips to Atlanta, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, Little Rock, Birmingham, St. Louis, Cincinnati, and for an extended weekend we could hit Chicago and/or New Orleans.. the previous are all within 5 hours and the latter are within 8 hours.
The weather is even nicer in Knoxville. Not so hot in summer, milder in winter and less violent storms. Next time you come for a TN visit check out downtown Knoxville. It's amazing. They've restored most of it and it has become a wonderful mix of hip Americana.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The weather is even nicer in Knoxville. Not so hot in summer, milder in winter and less violent storms. Next time you come for a TN visit check out downtown Knoxville. It's amazing. They've restored most of it and it has become a wonderful mix of hip Americana.
We've visted Knoxville several times but haven't been there in years, I always wanted to go to a UT game in Knoxville and I figured after a decade of living in Nashville I'd make it, but I did see them play Vandy in Nashville..

Old 06-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Good luck to you "TxRyan." If Nashville is where you really would like to end up, then hopefully it happens for you soon and you can be TNRyan again! We all have our different preferences.

I guess this Florida gal just has that salty air in her blood and sand in her toes.
LoL, I don't think we'll move back to Tennessee although when we leave Texas it is one of our options. I may end up doing something stupid and letting my heart win out over my head and we might end up back in Tampa but I doubt it.

I miss seasons and we're thinking about the North East too because the pay is better and there are more "traditional" holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida