Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:30 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,574,354 times

Advertisements

We need to do something because they aren't listening. That's politics for ya.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:13 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,196,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
$15,000??? Wow, I don't think that's what the new homebuyers are paying where we are... no way... maybe it will be a bit more but not that much.
They aren't even paying that much tax in NJ or NY!
In Broward county around $2500, per $100,000 of value. For a $400,000 home thats $10,000.

If you go here you can get the millage in different counties. It can be shocking when converted to real money.
http://www.myflorida.com/dor/property/appraisers.html

Last edited by macguy; 08-22-2006 at 01:52 PM..

Old 08-22-2006, 02:23 PM

We just got our tax bill here in Charlotte County. The new accessed value is $1,600. Now that is sure better then Broward County I would say.
Even if the new buyer got his taxes raised, it still wouldn't be as high as Broward! Geez what a mess you have over there.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
We just got our tax bill here in Charlotte County. The new accessed value is $1,600. Now that is sure better then Broward County I would say.
Even if the new buyer got his taxes raised, it still wouldn't be as high as Broward! Geez what a mess you have over there.
You tax rates there are low, .157 to .165. depending where you are in the county. But no matter how you look at it, it is still $1570. to $1650. per $100, 000 of value. A $300,000 house where you live is about $ 4500. to $4800. a year in taxes.

You are looking at the Save our homes protection, that is why your taxes are low but not for a new buyer. Broward actually is not a mess, there are high millage rates in a lot of places based on the kind of service the city and counties provide. Someone has to pay for all that.
Go somewhere where they have a volunteer fire department and everybody has well water and it will be cheaper. In Washington county in say Chipley it is about .23 (almost as high as Broward), but just move out of the city and it drops to .175.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:17 PM

I didn't mean the Broward County is mess to be mean. I meant it that the taxes are so high. I think that area is lovely. We have our friends in Deerfield Beach and its so nice there.
We are lower with the rates here. That's why it is still cheaper to buy here in Charlotte County. We have city water and sewer too.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:29 PM

39 posts, read 34,403 times
Quote:
Have you ever wondered why so many home sellers are lowering their home prices? Because if they don't then the realtors are out of business for a while.

The media has done this to the real estate market. The buyers are hearing that prices will go lower. What if we all decide to start raising the prices?
I mean everybody just starts raising their asking price????

Nobody says that we can't. Now, if the real estate market sees that we start raising the prices, the media will start blabbing "ooh, I guess we were wrong, now the prices are going up". Hold firm on that price. Buyers will have to make a decission now. Just as we would when we go and buy that next property. Somebody changed the market by telling everybody that the bubble is bursting. Well, it happens by word of mouth.
Now, if we go and raise those prices, it will (maybe) flip...
?? What do you think??
Never happened before in any market; never will. Why didn't stock market investors just do this when the NASDAQ was at 5,000? THere are so many things wrong with your thesis I don't know where to start. The biggest mistake you are making is this: "The media has done this to the real estate market." No, the MARKET did this...real estate markets WORLD WIDE soared the last five years in the wake of increased global liquidity as all major central banks cut interest rates. Speculation was rife. Now, as rates have increased, as the U.S. economy appears poised for recession (as indicated by the 50bps inverted yield curve), and as speculators have retreated from markets, real estate is starting to correct. And just starting. I expect RE in Florida to be down 30% by the time the correction is over, probably 2-3 years from now. Given that RE in Florida is likely up 100% the past 5-6 yrs, at the end of this ten year cycle people still be up 70% or so, a respectable 6% per year and roughly in line with historical norms.

If you don't mind me asking, are you a realtor?

Old 08-22-2006, 03:55 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
Default Florida

Came from MA, Cape Cod, to the Sunshine State in March of 1999.

Got me a job, and bought a Villa, for 116,000.

Now I am retired, and yes, prices have gone up, etc., etc.,

What I am thankfull for, is the 3 percent save our homes, and the homestead

When in winter and I am so cold, why, it is 55 or 60, and then, look to the noreaster! Then it soon here is 70 or even 80.

I also do not need to spend money on alot of taxes we had in MA., or buy
wool, to keep warm, sure the rain does come, then the Sun!

Every State has good and bad? Florida is not perfect, but which state is?

Judy

Old 08-22-2006, 04:06 PM

58 posts, read 416,908 times
Default Not a good idea

I believe your answer to the Florida housing market is not the way to go. If you and your fellow home owners stand fast or raise your prices your homes will just simply remain unsold. When average people making average salaries can own a home then they will sell. This is a correction that occurs and the market will adjust. If you do not have to sell at this point I would wait but if you are in an unfortunate situation then you will have to bring your property below your original hopes to move it. Good luck to all homeowners

Old 08-22-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Came from MA, Cape Cod, to the Sunshine State in March of 1999.

Got me a job, and bought a Villa, for 116,000.

Now I am retired, and yes, prices have gone up, etc., etc.,

What I am thankfull for, is the 3 percent save our homes, and the homestead

When in winter and I am so cold, why, it is 55 or 60, and then, look to the noreaster! Then it soon here is 70 or even 80.

I also do not need to spend money on alot of taxes we had in MA., or buy
wool, to keep warm, sure the rain does come, then the Sun!

Every State has good and bad? Florida is not perfect, but which state is?

Judy
What would it cost you to move here today and live in the same place?

Last edited by macguy; 08-22-2006 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-22-2006, 04:20 PM

39 posts, read 34,403 times
Quote:
get a life Ex.
Ex is simply telling you the truth. You do not like what he has to say, but it does not make it any less valid.

Real estate got puffed up WAY beyond it's fair value (as determined relative to people's incomes, to historical rates of appreciation, etc). That's why they call it a BUBBLE. And it's going to absolutely crash. Whether it's 20% over the next 2-4 years or 40% I can't tell you, but people will take a haircut. People who bought 5+ years ago won't feel any pain (beyond seeing paper profits evaporate); people who got in after 2004 are gonna take a haircut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida