Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's called loss leader pricing. They lure you in the door with low prices on some items, then of course since one has found a "deal" the odds of buying more items seems like a good idea, good deal or not. Unfortunately most of "Middle America" worships at the feet of a company that has sold us out. Kind of ironic.
sold us out? Please. Wal-mart has basically sold out the mom-and-pop stores and companies that were making a living selling cheap stuff and staples more expensively. Sorry, but if that's your business model, you deserve to get "sold out"

If you make a good product, with a good reason to pay well for it, you can definitely survive in the wal-mart era.

Just look at snapper mower

The Man Who Said No to Wal-Mart | Fast Company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
sold us out? Please. Wal-mart has basically sold out the mom-and-pop stores and companies that were making a living selling cheap stuff and staples more expensively. Sorry, but if that's your business model, you deserve to get "sold out"

If you make a good product, with a good reason to pay well for it, you can definitely survive in the wal-mart era.

Just look at snapper mower

The Man Who Said No to Wal-Mart | Fast Company
Yikes, do you ever read anything not endorsed by FoxNews?

Supporters of Wal-Mart argue that Wal-Mart has had a substantial positive impact on America’s economy, that they have wrung inefficiencies out of the supply chain saving consumers money, that they are merely giving the customer what they want, that low prices help bolster the nation’s economy, and that property-tax revenue generated by big box stores far outweigh any detrimental impacts. Wal-Mart itself has said, “Saving money is a means to helping our customers live better. By offering the best possible prices on the products our customers need, we can help them afford something a little extra”. That’s nice but when my taxes are paying for the labor and construction of a Wal-Mart, I just don’t see how I’m saving any money. I also find the idea that Wal-Mart is putting more money in consumers pockets by selling them a Chinese made pair of toenail clippers for less money than an American factory would illogical. If you are unemployed because you can’t find a factory job making toenail clippers, then you can’t afford to buy ones made in China no matter how low they sell it for. Despite what the supporters of Wal-Mart say, I have yet to hear an excuse worthy of justifying the killing of small businesses, the paying of slave wages, and the exporting of America’s wealth.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Yikes, do you ever read anything not endorsed by FoxNews?
Yikes, I probably read fox news a lot less than you probably read the latest AFL-CIO memo or Moveon.org

Did you even read the article I linked to? Snapper mower makes a quality product, and they have flourished during the era of cheap mowers sold at wal-mart.

Wal-mart will never be good at selling quality and service. They exist for cheap products and staples.

Quote:
That’s nice but when my taxes are paying for the labor and construction of a Wal-Mart, I just don’t see how I’m saving any money. I also find the idea that Wal-Mart is putting more money in consumers pockets by selling them a Chinese made pair of toenail clippers for less money than an American factory would illogical. If you are unemployed because you can’t find a factory job making toenail clippers, then you can’t afford to buy ones made in China no matter how low they sell it for. Despite what the supporters of Wal-Mart say, I have yet to hear an excuse worthy of justifying the killing of small businesses, the paying of slave wages, and the exporting of America’s wealth.
So you're basically arguing for trade protectionism? That worked out really well for us during the great depression The probably didn't tell you this on MSNBC today, but here goes:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/18/news...ters/index.htm

Quote:
China is currently the third top buyer of U.S. exports, lagging only behind neighbors Canada and Mexico.
But with the world's largest population -- 1.3 billion people -- and a rapidly emerging middle class buying everything from groceries to cars, it is also the fastest growing export market in the world.
In the past 20 years, U.S. exports to China have multiplied 12 times over. That presents American businesses with an alluring opportunity that's hard to pass up, said Erin Ennis, vice president of the US-China Business Council.

Last edited by chopchop0; 01-18-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 01:24 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Anybody have a hard time paying for their prescriptions, check out the prices at Walmart. Sorry but times are tough and to support my daughter and I, I would not be too proud to work there if that's the best I could find.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:48 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Anybody have a hard time paying for their prescriptions, check out the prices at Walmart.
Yet another way to lure in those on hard times, as is there new cell phone service, the list goes on. Yes, Walmart really does have your best intentions at heart. Refer in the dictionary to the word predatory...

Old 01-18-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Yet another way to lure in those on hard times, as is there new cell phone service, the list goes on. Yes, Walmart really does have your best intentions at heart. Refer in the dictionary to the word predatory...
Whats wrong with their new plan? It's great if you don't need the internet.

Walmart's New Cellphone Plans Are Great If You Skip The Data - The Consumerist

Old 01-18-2011, 06:24 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
I have to say your pretty naive if you think that I believe they care about me personally. I go where I can pay the least for what I need. My loyalty is for sale, they know that. I would stop shopping there tomorrow if whatever I needed was cheaper elsewhere.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:43 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
That's called loss leader pricing. They lure you in the door with low prices on some items, then of course since one has found a "deal" the odds of buying more items seems like a good idea, good deal or not. Unfortunately most of "Middle America" worships at the feet of a company that has sold us out. Kind of ironic.
Walmart is cheaper across the board and that's why Middle America worships at the feet of this company because we can't afford to pay marked up prices at Ma & Pa's General Store.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Despite what the supporters of Wal-Mart say, I have yet to hear an excuse worthy of justifying the killing of small businesses, the paying of slave wages, and the exporting of America’s wealth.
Walmart pays (one way or another) wages that are supported by whatever country they employ workers in.

I've seen the videos of poor workers that work 12 hours a day for dollars a day and people get so upset about it and outraged but what the videos don't tell you is that the workers in other nations are making money period. They have jobs. They aren't sucking unemployment taxes from America.

That said, If you have problems with what Walmart pays its American employees then take it up with the Feds, They set the minnimum wage.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Kroger (national grocery store) also has the $4 prescriptions in the pharmacy and their own cell phone service..

next...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: