Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 28,579 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to move to Florida, but we are dismayed by the crime statistics we see on City-Data.com. Can someone explain to me why there seems to be such high larceny rates for relatively small towns? We have lived in the western Boston suburbs for years, and are currently in Central NY. These places all have been well below the national average (in double digits). I've had it with winter, and I want to find an area with an active arts community (music, ballet, museums) and NO SNOW, with a reasonable housing cost. Maybe Florida isn't the right place for us, but my husband doesn't really like big cities, so we are trying to compromise here. I'm curious about Charleston, SC as well. I'd also like a place with a lot of historical sites, if possible, as that is one of my hobbies.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:30 AM

312 posts, read 1,905,589 times
Check out St. Augustine, FL - small town with historical feeling. Low crime. Easy commute to Jacksonsville for job and expensive houses if you can afford, they're usually begain with $190k price range. I love St. Augustine and I always go there from where I live (daytona beach) since it takes 20 minutes drive.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:24 AM

460 posts, read 1,140,534 times
Perhaps, Gainesville. They have a good arts offerings due to the university; however, the universities are what make the crime rate skew upwards.
Gainesville is not a far drive from St. Augustine either, which is a nice historical place.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:27 PM

27 posts, read 183,166 times
Charlston SC is very pricey, so if you would move there, then you could afford here in Florida in the nicer sections.... How about Stuart Fl. where I am? It's beautiful, and it's in Martin County, and they were voted to have the best schools in the state. It's right above Palm Beach County, which is extremely pricey, so this is just as nice, but a tiny bit less money. Although we do have Sailfish Point where presidents and some of Hollywood lives. The downtown is beautiful, and historic. It has gorgeous shops including Cartiers, and the like. Fine rests. w/outside dining also. The "Lyric Theater" is here too. And it's all right on the water. I love it here, and I think you may be very happy also...what's not to like! It's considered south Florida and it's only about 2 hours or less from Miami. ....There isn't much crime here at all. Larceny, is more of stealing from stores and that kind of thing. It wouldn't really affect you. But you should look into it here in Stuart....you'd love it. It's all marina and yaght clubs and beaches and there is also US1, and that road has all the stores on it you could ever want. That road reminds me of Long Island, ya know with all the shopping they have. It's very pretty here. Also Jupiter island is very close by and that is ultra rich and beautiful and Jupiter itself, with the Palm Beach Theater that used to be Burt Reynolds theater. ...Check it all out and take a look....

Also, ....Central Florida, inland, like Gainsville and those places, are hot as hades in the summer! There is no breeze, and it's sweltering. You need to keep that in mind when looking for a place to live in Florida. I am so thankful for the breeze here off the ocean in the summer. Even the west coast doesn't have the breeze like on the east coast of Fl. And it's way more humid on the west coast than over on the east side. So always remember the summer here in Florida. It's not a thing you will like, unless you have some breeze, and it's still hot even then. But the ocean breeze helps tremendously.

Last edited by Summerbreeze; 03-10-2006 at 10:37 PM..

Old 03-12-2006, 06:48 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,437,852 times
Stay in the northern part of the state if you are looking for historical. Gainseville and St Augustine are both nice. We just don't have anything historic in the southwest part of the state.
Can't help you with crime rates up there though.....

Old 03-14-2006, 09:50 AM

495 posts, read 2,330,314 times
Keystone Heights is very low crime. It is an easy commuting distance between Jacksonville and Gainesville.

There are lots of small towns outside Gainesville but I think Keystone Heights is probably the lowest in crime

Old 03-15-2006, 01:28 AM

2 posts, read 57,938 times
Hi everyone. you are so helpful with the newbies!

I am planning on moving to st. petersburg to be with my grandmother there. But i too am dismayed by the crime. I used to live there 15 years ago when i was in middle school but i never remember being frightened. i mean the rape rate is insane. Anyone know why this is? i mean, i've lived in new orleans, new haven, ct, and phoenix and the statistics beat those places! ahh!

Old 03-25-2006, 11:02 PM

7 posts, read 92,084 times
Default St Cloud

I lived in St Cloud and the big crime was something like shopliffting. I got transfered a couple of years ago, but I used to leave my door unlocked and the whole "Mayberry" bit.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 77,129 times
Stay away from central florida, I am moving to Georgia to get away from high real estate prices and the crime. All there is to do here is the attractions and the beach, nothing for the kids that is cheap to do or educational. I have lived in florida since 1976 and I am getting out of this tourist trap !!!!!! The wages here are bad unless your a doctor or lawyer. Also now if you buy a home in florida you have to pay extra on your taxes for the people that live on the beach. Even if you live inland !!! My friends increased from $1200 a year to $1900. I am not paying for the people who want to dip their feet in the sand and live on the beach. And due to the hurricanes alot of insurance companies are pulling out of florida.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:43 PM

20 posts, read 179,691 times
Default artsy places

On the west coast, Sarasota has much in the way of Arts and music, and if this qualifies it, its a favorite living destination for Gay men over the age of 50, checkout on the web they give data also

Safety Harbor is also a cool place, I dont know anything about the east coast, except St Augustine looks good.

chip

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2020 at 01:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida