Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:52 AM

77 posts, read 305,789 times

Advertisements

I agree with SummerBreeze to a degree,

" Even the west coast doesn't have the breeze like on the east coast of Fl. And it's way more humid on the west coast than over on the east side. So always remember the summer here in Florida. It's not a thing you will like, unless you have some breeze, and it's still hot even then. But the ocean breeze helps tremendously".

Except that Stuart is Very High in taxes & most other costs..

Port Saint Lucie is more reasonable in that respect..

Old 03-30-2006, 04:00 AM

121 posts, read 786,210 times
Default Moved last year from Lincoln MA

I moved last January 2005 from Lincoln MA to Fernandina Beach. I lived on Concord Road and could walk to Walden Pond. Do you like the Vineyard? Then you will like Fernandina (doesn't fill up in season like the Vineyard). It is a very very pretty pedestrian downtown somewhere in scale like Edgartown on the Vineyard- houses restored to the 9's... with probably slightly higher crime than what you are used to but it is SAFE. The south end of Amelia Island is one of the wealthiest areas in Florida (Amelia Island Plantation). Beautiful natural areas abound- Cumberland Island just to the north by boat is a national wilderness seashore. To the west are the wilds of the Okefenokee Swamp and Suwanee River. To the south are the Talbot Islands and Ft. George Islands, all preserved and absolutely gorgeous. The Fernandina Library is an excellent small town library. Numerous artists and excellent cafes and restaurants. The food stores on island are not quite the level of Bread and Circus, but there is a Harris Teeter Market that is pretty close in variety and quality.Publix is tons better than most NE chain groceries. The schools are nowhere near the quality on Newton North or South, or Lincoln-Sudbury but with the influx of wealth in this area, this is changing very rapidly.

I live off island on about 350 ft of waterfront. We can take a boat out on the tides. We get manatees, dolphins, and all kinds of sea birds, ospreys and eagles here. The trees are monarch "grand-daddy" oaks. Nearby there is a new development called Grande Oaks. It has marshfront houses starting in the high 400's. Non-waterfront, one acre lots in this area (Barnwell Rd.) are probably 125-150k but are going fast. I bought one of these for 25k in 1994. Sold it in 1999 for 50k. Now the current owner could sell it for at least 150k. The crime here is zero. There is none.

The Jax airport is to the south about 20-25 min away, so you don't have to go through Jacksonville to get on a plane or pick someone up.

Today will be high in the 70's low in the 50's.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 AM

670 posts, read 1,744,048 times
Cool This is a good thread

Intelligent and well thought out replies. I'd stay away from the big cities. Crime index varies. Mt. Dora area has a very low crime index but the previous post on Fernadina Beach sounded delicious!

Old 04-24-2006, 10:58 AM

26 posts, read 110,611 times
People come to Florida and expect it to be like a permanent vacation - whether they admit it or not. I mean, after all, you can go to the beach anytime you want!! Guess what - you won't! You might for awhile, but it won't last. And soon you'll discover how annoying it is during the winter months when the yankees come (and bring their attitudes and misbehaved kids). The traffic doubles and prices increase. Snowbirds are such a joke -- they come to Florida and brag about where they live, then they go back home and brag about where they've been! So, if you decide to come live in Florida - forget about where you come from -- nobody cares -- we're all from somplace else, and if you think where you're coming from is better than Florida, for heaven sakes, stay there, or go someplace where they seldom see newcomers and being from somewhere else is a novelty!!! If you're leaving family behind, you will miss them, especially around the holidays -- it may seem strange, but you just don't realize the importance of having family nearby until you don't have it anymore.

After a few years when you can't take it anymore, you may want to go back home, but getting out of Florida is a whole lot harder than getting in!

Here are some interesting Headlines that you might like to consider:

Officials of a poor, predominantly black Florida town plan to relocate about 6,000 residents to make room for a billion-dollar yachting and housing complex.

Since 1980, Florida's population has grown an average of 873 new residents daily.

In 25 years or less, Florida will surpass New York, becoming the third most
populous state in the nation. The South Florida region, which will remain the
most populous region of the state, includes Indian River, St. Lucie, Martin,
Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade, and Monroe counties.

Since 2000, South Florida has added 400,000 people. It anticipates another
2.5 million, reaching 8.4 million by 2030.

And then there's the new Scripps lab facility currently underway -- adding several thousand more families creating a need for more housing, roads, schools, hospitals, etc etc.

Personally, I'm moving out - Not going to go through another hurricane - going be near my family again, where the majority speaks English.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2006, 05:00 PM

8 posts, read 28,072 times
Are you the same Chip Douglas that was on "My 3 Sons"?

Old 05-30-2006, 04:34 PM

9 posts, read 36,605 times
Summerbreeze hit on some good points. I grew up in Palm Beach County and Stuart has done a GREAT job of keeping the development "toned down" (compared to the surronding areas). It is still nice there. I live in Lake Wales and it gets hot here. I mean HOT! No breeze. You can step outside and the heat will literally feel like you are in a sauna. Besides the increased heat, I LOVE it here in Lake Wales. Prices have risen drastically in the last year and projected to keep going.
I also lived in Charleston, SC (Goose Creek) '96-'00. Prices were getting high there, especially Daniels Island and Mt. Pleasant. Summerville was the best value when we left. The only problem I had with Charleston was that they did not know the Civil War (or War of Northern Aggresion if your a Charlestonian) was over. Other that that it was a beautiful place to live (Well, traffic was pretty bad too). Good luck!

Old 05-30-2006, 04:43 PM

9 posts, read 36,605 times
Well Skye. I hate to admit it but you have some valid points. The Riviera Beach debacle is something. Having grew up in "The Acreage" in Royal Palm Beach and having Ft. Pierce to Ft. Lauderdale as my stomping grounds, I have to agree with you. She once was a grand old place, but she's getting a little "worn around the edges". I wish I could have frozen it in time 20 years ago.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:08 PM

26 posts, read 110,611 times
Default A Grand Old Place...

Amen! ... or 30 years ago!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative71
I wish I could have frozen it in time 20 years ago.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:15 AM

7 posts, read 30,415 times
DO NOT MOVE TO SOUTH FLORIDA!!!! it's full of crime. stay north. trust me

Old 05-31-2006, 12:01 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,216,432 times
hands down, my favorite place... st augustine!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida