Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 08:57 AM

200 posts, read 877,932 times

Advertisements

This is from this weeks Caloosa Belle (LaBelle newspaper):

"Hendry and Glades Counties are making plans for unprecendented growth. Just
the developments currently on the books will generate ripple effects across the
county line, particulary in the LaBelle-Muse area. For Hendry, the West LaBelle area is expected to be the first area to really
open up. Just a couple miles to the north, Lykes' Muse Village project at buildout
of 1,200 acres will provide 3,500 homes for some 8,750 residents. The community
will be centered around the West Glades Elementary School The two areas will be seperated by only a few miles.
In the area north and west of LaBelle, some 2,578 acres of development are proposed, resulting in 2,978 homes."

The article goes on and on about different areas w/in Hendry and Glades that are to be developed. Those were just the first two to be metioned. My question is: Who is moving into these new homes?..I am so confused. Real estate is in peril right now and yet here they go on and on with the plans to build out every inch of land they can. And I really think it's sad to see this area grow and change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 11:18 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
I am very upset that they want to fill the county I was going to move to with development. Yet General Development tried it in the 70's and failed, miserably. Hopefully this new idea is just another pipe dream and the investors get burned, bad. Hendry county had the highest unemployment rate in Florida for quite some time and there's no way people will commute from Ft Myers or Broward/Palm beach county just to live there.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,949 times
Default Don't bet on it

Trust your instincts. There are no compelling reasons for these areas to develop at the levels announced. Developers are speculating on land without any real market justification. There are no jobs, amenities (except the river) or infrastructure to drive demand. Don't be too woried IMHO.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
That's good to know. I hope the area fails at real estate development, I am planning on moving to Hendry county if the tax situation in Florida is controlled. The goal I have is to get involved in organic agriculture and alternative energy. Living in an area with few amenities and low costs is important to me. Besides, the only "amenity" I am looking for is a good place to ride ATV's and a place to bowl. The bowling I would bring with me.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:30 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Hope it fails, i plan on moving to Glades or Hendry county. I hope to be far away from anyone.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:09 AM

200 posts, read 877,932 times
I hope it fails too. Hendry County is actually a bit too busy for me. lol! But Glades, it is perfect. I love it here. It's not for city people at all. I know all these plans tie into that new highway they are building that will connect Orlando to Immokalee. It makes me sick to think of all this gorgeous land becoming urban sprawl. Driving Sr 29 just takes my breath away..it's so beautiful.and that is where they want to start developing. Just last week we noticed all of a sudden that a turning lane is going in off 29 at Pollywog Crossover Ext. which is the road to get into Muse before crossing into Hendry County. Next thing we know we are reading about all these plans in the local paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: