Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:15 AM

24,484 posts, read 26,021,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, my... if all these projects come to life, we'll have to change our state motto to "The Theme Park State"... Not to be negative, but I find it a bit hard to believe...
I agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 03:06 PM

269 posts, read 1,258,252 times
Thumbs up Williams Theme Park News

Theme Park news

http://www.williamsnews.com/main.asp...rticleID=7333:)

Old 07-03-2008, 09:06 AM

27 posts, read 95,582 times
Default Williams

Ok, now getting really serious about moving (acerage) to Williams. Looking at Howard Mesa. Anyone with any comments-good or bad on this area?

So far, water and snakes are my only "iffy" things, and think I could regard both of those as just new challenges. But, perhaps I have not considered all....??? Don't need schools, can work from home-already have a job,
so what else??

Old 07-03-2008, 11:25 AM

12 posts, read 41,695 times
I may be showing my ignorance here, but I have seen a lot of people post about water being a concern in the cities of AZ. Is this because of price from the utility board or what? I have visited the Navajo reservation a couple of times now and they have city water. I know that there is not a lot of rain in AZ, but there doesn't seem to be a shortage of water because of the winters and the wonderful amount of snow that the mountains get.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 PM

Default Water in Williams

Where we are thinking of has no city water or wells. Water is delivered.
I have never had experience with this, do they always have water avail?
Don't think it's any more expensive than a water bill in SoCal, just different for me

Old 07-03-2008, 12:46 PM

129 posts, read 562,046 times
The economy is pretty flat in Williams now thanks to gas prices. Williams depends on tourists traveling to and from the Grand Canyon. The water sitch is what drove me out of AZ. It's very scary when water runs out and they charge you triple for it because they can. Also keep in mind that Williams shares the same elevation as Flag. 110+ inches of snow minimum (more with El Nino years). Summers and winters are both challenging times to keep going money-wise. Visit before you move. About half the population in Flag & Williams is Native American (Navajo & Hopi). I loved that as I am Native American too...but some may find that very different unless from Montana or the Dakotas.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:31 PM

12 posts, read 41,695 times
Default water avaliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingSoCal View Post
Where we are thinking of has no city water or wells. Water is delivered.
I have never had experience with this, do they always have water avail?
Don't think it's any more expensive than a water bill in SoCal, just different for me
I can't answer that question, I guess I assumed that the city area's always had city water avaliable. But of course I am from TN and we are looking at moving to AZ this next year. We have been on mission trips to the Navajo reservation in a very remote area and they have city water avaliable if the people chose to tie in to it. Otherwise they use wells or spring water and pumps or haul it in. The biggest thing on the reservation is the remote areas don't have phone service avaliable and some don't have eletricity avaliable. I have noticed that most people in AZ use bottled water because of the high levels of chlorine in the water, but in my exprience there isn't any more chlorine in the water there than there is here.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,021,882 times
Williams does have city water IF one lives right within the town boundaries, but much of rural AZ depends on private wells and in Williiams and the Ash Fork areas the ground water is extremely deep or non-existent...so people pay trucks to haul their water in. It's not the cost so much (although it is a bit pricey) it's the inconvenience and the fact that you have to learn to ration your water useage. If you run out, you run out. If you plan to have a garden or livestock at all (horses for instance) it can get tricky keeping water in supply when you depend on someone else to deliver it.

That being said, I love the Williams area, the scenery, the little, historic town itself. It's a very pretty and peaceful town.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 AM

Default Williams water

If (when ) you run out of water, and call someone, do they come the same day? Can u set it up on a regular schedule? I am SO new to this.
Thinking of doing rain capture and grey water for gardening. Also, another biggie, going from 1/4 acre in SoCal to 10 acres. A very big jump, but so want to walk outside and see no one. The idea of being able to be at the Grand Canyon so quickly just blows me away. Going next week to look around (3 rd time!)-but, as everyone says, if you leave Calif, you can't come back, so need to be sure
any advice, thoughts, would be welcome

thx

Old 07-05-2008, 10:29 AM

44 posts, read 116,511 times
We just moved off of our 40 acres near exit 71. We lived there for four years and had 18 horses, a cow, sheep, goats and chickens. Also a garden. We had two-2500 gallon water tanks with gravity flow. It cost $60 per tank to fill up and in the summer we went thru 2-3 tanks a week. Winter was 1-2 tanks a week. Our delivery man was the most reasonable. We only had two to choose from or haul ourselves for about half the price plus gas used. He charges whatever he feels like according to where you live, if he likes you, if your road is in good shape, etc. Scheduling got sometimes tricky so we kept 55 gallon drums on hand for emergencies. One time we had range cattle that smashed our connection and we lost all our water. The range cattle had to be fenced out or they will drink the water, break thru the fencing, etc.

We moved to VA and I am thankful everytime I go outside and turn the faucet on. Sooooooo nice not to be relying on water to be hauled in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona