Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 04:42 PM

37 posts, read 144,263 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about moving to Sedona. My plan was first to rent and then eventually buy some property. I know property values have gone down considerably so it is probably a good time to buy.

However, I do love to grow a garden, especially a vegetable garden of sorts. Does anyone have any experience attemping this in Sedona? I'm not sure about the ground being fertile enough and then there is the harsh heat.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 04:59 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
There used to be lots of old fruit orchards near Oak Creek where the soil is better. You can check out Sunset's "Western Garden Book" to see what you can grow in Sedona.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 PM

Default AZ Dreamer

Thank you kind Sir. I Googled the book and it sounds excellent!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:22 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
One more idea, if you google "arizona gardening forum" you will find a site where you can post questions like this.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:10 AM

17 posts, read 59,838 times
All you really need is water, and LOTS of it! The entire verde valley used to be a giant lake, and there is also a lot of volcanic rock, You just need to find where it has collected along rivers, streams and washes- Areas around the rivers and creeks have thick deposits of old floodplain soils- but because of elevation changes, and fast moving waters, some parcels can be extremely rocky- lots of cobbles mixed in to the soil- a real pain when planting. It will be a little more difficult to find an available parcel with good soils in Sedona, than in Camp Verde, Cottonwood or Cornville (the Verde River carries more water, the elevation change is less than Oak Creek, therefore, there are more old flood plains surrounding the river, and more tracts of land suitable for farming. That is actually the heritage of all of these communities- Farms and ranches- many of these farms and ranches fed the miners in Jerome, as well as the sinaguans who initially farmed the area.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodaz View Post
All you really need is water, and LOTS of it! The entire verde valley used to be a giant lake, and there is also a lot of volcanic rock, You just need to find where it has collected along rivers, streams and washes- Areas around the rivers and creeks have thick deposits of old floodplain soils- but because of elevation changes, and fast moving waters, some parcels can be extremely rocky- lots of cobbles mixed in to the soil- a real pain when planting. It will be a little more difficult to find an available parcel with good soils in Sedona, than in Camp Verde, Cottonwood or Cornville (the Verde River carries more water, the elevation change is less than Oak Creek, therefore, there are more old flood plains surrounding the river, and more tracts of land suitable for farming. That is actually the heritage of all of these communities- Farms and ranches- many of these farms and ranches fed the miners in Jerome, as well as the sinaguans who initially farmed the area.
Yep. In fact Sedona is named for Sedona Miller Schnebly - the wife a farmer/businessman who apparently lived at the current site of the Tlaquepaque shopping complex.

Ken

Old 11-30-2008, 01:55 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,388 times
Default gardening in arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yep. In fact Sedona is named for Sedona Miller Schnebly - the wife a farmer/businessman who apparently lived at the current site of the Tlaquepaque shopping complex.

Ken
Sedona is a great place for gardening, with month to month temperatures similar to Tucson. Summer thunderstorms provide rain, reducing the amount needed for irrigation. Sedona is at 4300' and this is a perfect elevation, since Phoenix is too hot in the summer for many veggies. And, Flagstaff at 7000' is a short season, maybe only 90 days of guaranteed frost free weather. There are several organic and conventional farmers and vinyards in the Verde Valley. The rocks are both volcanic and sedimentary. The red rocks around Sedona are all sedimentary rocks.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:16 AM

Many thanks to all of you for your thoughts and insights. I am looking forward to joining your lovely community......

Old 12-02-2008, 03:43 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,388 times
Default Shortage of Farmers In The Verde Valley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirdad View Post
Many thanks to all of you for your thoughts and insights. I am looking forward to joining your lovely community......
If you move here, it seems to me that there's a shortage of farmers in the Verde Valley w/ untapped potential. The climate is PERFECT at 2,000' for vegetables from March-November. In fact, I don't know of any area that has a longer season combined with hot temps in the summer for tomatoes, etc. AND free irrigation from thunderstorms from July 2-Sept. 30 AND it's not too hot like Phoenix. I'm not sure why there is not more vegetable and fruit growing down there. Perhaps it's national forest land restrictions? I think some of the creosote bush / mesquite / juniper may be protected, but I'm not sure the atlas is in the truck .....

Old 12-29-2008, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,166 times
Our biggest problem is with the critters! Deer, javelina, raccoons etc... I can only grow my veggies in a fenced-in, covered over area or I lose them to the wildlife. I live in VOC area. Oh, and be prepared to water extensively even often during monsoon season. I find it mecessary to mist tomatoes for about four hours during mid-day whenever the temps get over the mid-90s or fruit won't set. Soil varies from area to area - we happen to have great soil, other areas have almost none. There are lots of micro-climates even within our lot! The veggies we do get are gorgeous and yummy and we almost always have bumper fruit crops (plums and apples). Our altitude is about 4500' btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona