Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:47 AM

158 posts, read 196,204 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Sedona or Flagstaff (or Cornville or Cottonwood) in a year. I'm trying to research the area on here and the posts are often negative about Flagstaff. I thought Flagstaff would be good for work and because it will have more shops,etc. I love hiking and solitude, and farmers markets, mom and pop cafes, positive vibe, etc. We visited Sedona last year for 4 days and it was crowded but still awesome and relaxing. So we are from a crowded area in NJ where there are tons of families, some retirees, and a lot of stressed out people who honk at you a lot a drive up your butt on the road every chance they get. It's not that relaxing here and the outdoor recreation will never compare to the southwest. My personality is not a fit for NJ. I like Italian food but I'm not Italian, and I'm super laid back and quiet. The beach is an hour away, which is nice, but you can never get solitude. When I was younger I lived in Vegas, Albuquerque, and upstate NY. I'm older now 42, and I work in mental health care as a counselor. I REALLY want to move to the Arizona or Utah area for the red rocks and hiking. Does anyone have a recommendation for a town that will fit what I'm looking for? Rural is fine, as long as it's close enough for me to commute for employment. Basically, I want a positive vibe, healthy food, great hiking, less stress... I'm open to other area... Santa Fe? Montana? Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 07:53 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
There are many towns that offer what you want and there are many people who would like to live there, if only they could find a job. So what you need to do is to identify several towns you are interested in and undertake a sustained job search. It won't be easy and you may have to give up salary and career advancement. Some people get lucky; and some work at it and then get lucky, and end up practicing their profession in a place they love.

But many of us live where the work is and vacation or retire somewhere else.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:29 PM

558 posts, read 971,887 times
Prescott might have the job opportunities for you and we're only an hour's drive from Sedona. ;-)

Great hiking and a mild climate but no red rocks, just granite.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:06 PM

Ok thanks! I am looking at the Prescott forum now and people seem to like living there and it has lots of mental health facilities.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:54 AM

136 posts, read 160,281 times
I agree with Prescott! It is a much nicer town than Flagstaff with cheaper rent, nicer people, and better local businesses. If I could go back, I definitely would have relocated there instead of Flagstaff!

Old 03-31-2016, 01:36 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
St. George, Utah! Google it and you'll fall in love. Red rocks galore, and Zion National Park right in our backyard. I personally find Flagstaff stunning as well. And sedona.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:37 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Check out some small cities in western Colorado such as Grand Junction, Cortez and Montrose. Cortez is close by Mesa Verde national park. There's plenty of hiking trails in around the area. If you like cycling, hiking and enjoying nature, Grand Junction isn't too far from Moab Utah. Also, check out Prescott and Prescott Valley.

Mesa Verde

Old 04-06-2016, 07:24 AM

Thanks! I have visited most of these places about 10 years ago. i can't wait to be within driving distance to them again... Whichever town I end up in.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
No, Flagstaff is WONDERFUL!

IF you can afford a $3.2 million dollar lodge in the pines, and own a business or two, and the building or are an internet hedge fund investor and have a private plane to avoid the 3-9 hour drive to a city.

Then it's perfect!

Old 04-21-2016, 02:58 AM

285 posts, read 377,617 times
Durango, CO is the best four corners town since it has a huge workforce in place, so companies come in, stores come in, and the city wants to grow. If you like Flagstaff more, it could take longer to find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona