Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:57 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,599,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR81 View Post
We love the forests and cool weather (I actually love the cold). She likes to shop and needs a mall, and it's always good to have a lot of stores in town.
Flagstaff is gorgeous and we love hitting the mall, Snowbowl, the Grand Canyon, Williams, Sedona, and eating at Taverna and Pizzicletta, but maybe Flagstaff will just cost a little bit too much to be financially comfortable with a mortgage there. Prescott is intriguing after reading this thread. I didn't know it was big enough for a mall.
Prescott is a little more affordable, and is more retirement oriented. Doesn't have the vibe of Flagstaff.

I'm surprised that jobs in your field would pay better in Flagstaff. Usually it's the opposite. But at any rate, if you can *both* get good paying jobs then that will make all the difference. If not, then struggling to make ends meet will quickly tarnish the image you have of living there.

You mentioned cool weather (pine forest?) and lot's of stores (mall), with affordable housing. Any other important factors? Any particular need to stay in AZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:58 AM

558 posts, read 973,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR81 View Post
Prescott is intriguing after reading this thread. I didn't know it was big enough for a mall.
The Prescott metro area (Prescott, Prescott Valley, Chino Valley, and Dewey-Humboldt) is significantly larger than the Flagstaff metro area.

The differences between the 2 have to do with location and colleges. Flagstaff is on a railroad line and is a junction of 2 interstate highways. Prescott has none of that. Flagstaff has Northern Arizona University with a bunch of students, while Prescott has 1 small university with about 2000 students, a tiny liberal arts college, and a big community college. Flagstaff services pretty much all of Northern Arizona so you get a level 1 trauma center hospital while Prescott's is a level 4. Flagstaff gets national and international tourism while Prescott gets a lot of in-state tourism. Prescott is much more retirement-oriented.

This makes for some interesting differences. Flagstaff has a Mercedes Benz dealership to service cars driving on the interstate. Prescott has MUCH better shopping and selection of stores, many of which Flagstaff doesn't have. I'm sure others can come up with other differences.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:29 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,221,309 times
J&G Sales in Prescott probably has better deals on bulk ammunition

Old 01-04-2017, 05:06 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,977,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
But it's ok if an area is predominantly made up of 30-45 year olds? I'm 42, but I don't see myself or any particular age group as being better or worse than another. Maybe younger people want to live amongst younger people, and older amongst older. But is one group inherently better or more deserving than another?
As to what group is more deserving I'm with you none out weights another though I'd tend to give preference to locals, of which I am not one here. As far as what group to hang out with it is just personal preference. I like a balance, old, young, kids, families, all mixed together. The flood of retirees annoys me because it is skewing an already unbalanced situation even further IMHO. I don't fault them for coming. I'm sure retirees are coming here en mass for the same reasons my wife and I decided to give up here a shot, so again I don't blame them. It is a macro-economic-demographic thing.

Last edited by infocyde; 01-04-2017 at 05:23 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 19,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Prescott is a little more affordable, and is more retirement oriented. Doesn't have the vibe of Flagstaff.

I'm surprised that jobs in your field would pay better in Flagstaff. Usually it's the opposite. But at any rate, if you can *both* get good paying jobs then that will make all the difference. If not, then struggling to make ends meet will quickly tarnish the image you have of living there.

You mentioned cool weather (pine forest?) and lot's of stores (mall), with affordable housing. Any other important factors? Any particular need to stay in AZ?
We may decide to just rent a house for now, but that seems like a waste. I can get qualified for a decent mortgage, I'm just not sure how much I want to take on. I'm not sure why the behavioral health jobs seem to pay more up there. The descriptions in some of the jobs we do come up with some bigger numbers than down here.

The most dense pine tree forest we can find is the best. With snow. Flagstaff seems to have enough shopping and services for us, plus some sentimental places to eat and visit that we really loved like Snowbowl and Taverna. We definitely intend to stay in AZ. She wants to be within about a three hour drive of her family down here in the desert, and I have a little family left here too. We like the idea of Flagstaff being close enough, but not too close. Prescott would be a bit closer.

We definitely love Flagstaff. That's pretty much our "dream place" in AZ. We haven't visited Prescott yet, though. It doesn't seem bad, but it doesn't grab us in the same way. We'll have to visit this week or next and get a feel for it, though.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:29 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,714,200 times
I see a lot of people recommending Prescott area over Flagstaff. I get it from a financial sense but Prescott is the drug treatment capital of AZ. Tons of treatment facilities and treatment drop outs around the town, no thanks.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:28 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,639,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I see a lot of people recommending Prescott area over Flagstaff. I get it from a financial sense but Prescott is the drug treatment capital of AZ. Tons of treatment facilities and treatment drop outs around the town, no thanks.
The people of Prescott and PV are trying to change that so it's not the case in the future.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:01 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,977,885 times
From what I've seen there is actually very little (beyond petty crime occasionally from program wash outs) from the drug rehab houses. But the new retirees can't stand the thought of them, so the rehab industry is being targeted for destruction. This will further decimate the population of under 30 people in Prescott, and there will be even less service workers for the retirees to complain at/about.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:33 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,639,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
From what I've seen there is actually very little (beyond petty crime occasionally from program wash outs) from the drug rehab houses. But the new retirees can't stand the thought of them, so the rehab industry is being targeted for destruction. This will further decimate the population of under 30 people in Prescott, and there will be even less service workers for the retirees to complain at/about
Wouldn't that be considered age discrimination though? A city/town cannot grow, will become stagnant without a balanced demographics.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:00 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,221,309 times
For many in Prescott, growth might be something less than desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona