Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:40 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,883,359 times

Advertisements

Anybody here a fan of vintage swimsuits?? I love them!! I have this book called "SUNKISSED: Sunwear and The Hollywood Beauty 1930-1950". A really great book about swimwear and the stars wearing them. So gorgeous.

Do you think they'll ever come back again, those kind of styles? I love them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 12:45 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
Yes, I LOVE them. I wear them too. My favorite is a late 40s black Sea Nymph suit with a ruched bust. I have a bumble bee Catalina that is to die for as well. I have at least 30 vintage swimsuits ranging mostly from the 40s-60s cuz I used to own a vintage clothing store.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:48 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
I doubt they will ever come back in style because no days, the style seems to be more triangle cut and more revealing swimsuits with the younger crowd. Older and overweight people seem to always be in the one piece but those folks arent really marketed to by the "stylish" swimsuit designers.

You also have the swimsuits that are meant to be seen in rather than swam in. Its either swimsuits to show off the body, or swimsuits to show off the fashion and just lounging around on the beach or Bellagio pool.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Yes, I LOVE them. I wear them too. My favorite is a late 40s black Sea Nymph suit with a ruched bust. I have a bumble bee Catalina that is to die for as well. I have at least 30 vintage swimsuits ranging mostly from the 40s-60s cuz I used to own a vintage clothing store.
Yeah, I love the Catalina line of swimwear.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I doubt they will ever come back in style because no days, the style seems to be more triangle cut and more revealing swimsuits with the younger crowd. Older and overweight people seem to always be in the one piece but those folks arent really marketed to by the "stylish" swimsuit designers.

You also have the swimsuits that are meant to be seen in rather than swam in. Its either swimsuits to show off the body, or swimsuits to show off the fashion and just lounging around on the beach or Bellagio pool.
Well, you don't have to be overweight to wear a 1-piece. It shows more class in someone when they do. I think most bikini's, nowadays, are trashy and makes some women look like trashy hookers, in my opinion. I don't know. Sorry if I offended you, just my opinion on some of them.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:55 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
I hate a two piece. You can't do anything in them or the fall off. They are for chicks who lay around. Not ones that actually dive, swim and surf. I really liked a lot of the vintage swimwear too. You can find ones that kinda look like that now..But they are aalways over 100$ its seems..which..haa haa...I'll go with my 1pc from kmart these days.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Try, I DARE you, to find an authentic vintage swimsuit in a plus size, or even anything over a modern size 8/10. They don't exist pre-1960's.

And go look in any swimsuit section and you will see influences of vintage swimwear.

I have routinely sold primo vintage suits for upwards of $300 apiece, all of them in modern size 0-4. Women were much thinner back then so PLEASE don't say vintage swimwear is for fatties, anyone over a size medium has a helluva time finding ANYTHING vintage to fit them.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:00 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Well, you don't have to be overweight to wear a 1-piece. It shows more class in someone when they do. I think most bikini's, nowadays, are trashy and makes some women look like trashy hookers, in my opinion. I don't know. Sorry if I offended you, just my opinion on some of them.
You think one piece swimsuits are indications that a person has class as opposed to women who wear bikinis? Its about personal fashion preference, comfort and body image. I hardly think "class" has anything to do with the type of swimsuits people wear.

No offense taken by your comment. Im just going by what I see when I am at the beach or when I head to vegas and hang out at the pools. My local beaches here are Topanga beach, Malibu and Zuma so I go by what I see on my quick jaunts there to hang out. When in vegas, I almost always stay at either the Bellagio, MGM Grand or Mandalay Bay so part of my views are influenced by what I see at those places.

Even the "pinup" "betty page" type chicks I know who are totally into that whole retro style tend to mostly wear bikini's. If that old style of swimsuit were to ever make a comeback, I think these types of chicks would be the first to help usher in that trend.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I hate a two piece. You can't do anything in them or the fall off. They are for chicks who lay around. Not ones that actually dive, swim and surf. I really liked a lot of the vintage swimwear too. You can find ones that kinda look like that now..But they are aalways over 100$ its seems..which..haa haa...I'll go with my 1pc from kmart these days.
Pitt, Jantzen makes some really cute one pieces that look very vintage, TJMAxx and Marshalls had a ton of them last year for around $40.00., they are called the Heritage Collection.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You think one piece swimsuits are indications that a person has class as opposed to women who wear bikinis? Its about personal fashion preference, comfort and body image. I hardly think "class" has anything to do with the type of swimsuits people wear.

No offense taken by your comment. Im just going by what I see when I am at the beach or when I head to vegas and hang out at the pools. My local beaches here are Topanga beach, Malibu and Zuma so I go by what I see on my quick jaunts there to hang out. When in vegas, I almost always stay at either the Bellagio, MGM Grand or Mandalay Bay so part of my views are influenced by what I see at those places.

Even the "pinup" "betty page" type chicks I know who are totally into that whole retro style tend to mostly wear bikini's. If that old style of swimsuit were to ever make a comeback, I think these types of chicks would be the first to help usher in that trend.
I totally agree with your last paragraph. But most bikinis these days are so skimpy, it's like you have to be so darn slim/skinny to wear them. Yeah, back in Bettie Page's days they were awesome (those types I like best).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty