Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:17 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,558,304 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of vintage bikinis. I would kill to own this one.

RUDI GERNREICH 1950s 60s Wool BIKINI Swimsuit W by LoulousVintage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 09:02 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,630,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
There are plenty of vintage bikinis. I would kill to own this one.

RUDI GERNREICH 1950s 60s Wool BIKINI Swimsuit W by LoulousVintage

Wool?!

Who in their RIGHT mind swims in WOOL!?

Wool SHRINKS in water, rofl!

It's awesome (not $1,200 awesome), but not in wool, lol.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:28 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,558,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Wool?!

Who in their RIGHT mind swims in WOOL!?

Wool SHRINKS in water, rofl!

It's awesome (not $1,200 awesome), but not in wool, lol.
A lot of older swimsuits were made of wool, to feel them you wouldn't even know they were wool, the weave and texture is a lot different than say a sweater. And they don't shrink unless you put them in the dryer.

The designer of that swimsuit (Rudi Gernreich) is very desirable and collectible, his bathing suits, particularly the topless bathing suit (aka the monokini), is in fashion museums the world over. That's why it's $1200.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

Old 05-02-2010, 07:39 AM

897 posts, read 1,689,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Anybody here a fan of vintage swimsuits?? I love them!! I have this book called "SUNKISSED: Sunwear and The Hollywood Beauty 1930-1950". A really great book about swimwear and the stars wearing them. So gorgeous.

Do you think they'll ever come back again, those kind of styles? I love them!

Personally I prefer the tiny bathing suits of the 1980s.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
A lot of older swimsuits were made of wool, to feel them you wouldn't even know they were wool, the weave and texture is a lot different than say a sweater. And they don't shrink unless you put them in the dryer.

The designer of that swimsuit (Rudi Gernreich) is very desirable and collectible, his bathing suits, particularly the topless bathing suit (aka the monokini), is in fashion museums the world over. That's why it's $1200.

Google Image Result for http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h2/h2_1986.517.13.jpg
Eh, I still wouldn't wear wool to swim in.

My vintage suits came from my grandmother and they are poly.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Welcome To The Official Esther Williams Website (http://www.esther-williams.com/swimwear.htm - broken link)

And anyone who claims Esther Williams was a (modern equivalent of) size 0-4 needs to put the crack pipe down and back away slowly.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Welcome To The Official Esther Williams Website (http://www.esther-williams.com/swimwear.htm - broken link)

And anyone who claims Esther Williams was a (modern equivalent of) size 0-4 needs to put the crack pipe down and back away slowly.
I LOVE that site!!!

Just ordered the "classic one piece" in red w/ white polka dots!

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

On that site it said she was a 10 in size.

Sizing Charts for Vintage Clothing and Accessories from Vintage Swank

By that chart a vintage 10 is hips under 33''.

Modern size zero charts (US not EURO)
Size zero - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
32''-35''

I know a lot of vintage stuff threw me when I looked at the tags. The difference I noticed too is that they were cut for hips and boobs so those smaller sizes were easier to wear without gaps etc. I used to buy real vintage stuff a lot. You could find the neatest stuff in really large cities. Used clothing stores in L.A....amazing. I would love it when people got a ton of stuff from an estate sale or movie warehouse clean out. It would be so perfect and sometimes never worn! I love a vintage green or pink. I just don't see the right tone in modern fabric. Probably really toxic dye! LOL...oh well..At least it looks nice.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
On that same website, scroll down to the next section. It states pretty clearly that a "medium" is equal to a women's dress size 10, and that it describes the shape of a woman with a 34-37 (B/C) bust, 25-28" waist, and 36-39" hips. That's basically what Esther Williams was, with her waist and hips on the smaller side. Her thighs and shoulders were on the thick side of svelte, primarily because she was a swimmer, but also because she had a very broad bone structure.

Esther Williams would -never- have been confused with a size 0. Ever.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
I like this one-piece from Lands' End (great place to get longer lengths and better fits for larger chests, too). It has that classic look to me.

Women's All-over Control Slender Tunic Swimsuit from Lands' End

I need a new swimsuit for this summer but don't like how my shoulders look in halters yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty