Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:36 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogger View Post
OK so can this get clarified

1) Is it a good idea to shave to get off ugly hair from
-Chest, shoulders, arms, stomach, and back?
-All or part of those?

2) Which shaver is best?

3) Is there any cream/lotion, what can I do to make sure when I shave I minimize break outs?

4) Is waxing a better option?
-Doesn't that kill like in 40 year old virgin, isn't it worse than a band aid?
-Also isn't it flamey for a guy?
It does not "kill" and your back can't hurt any more than my bikini line so if I can take it you can too. As far as it being "flamey"? It's better than a hairy back.

I use a Venus or Mach3 to shave.

Those hair removers that they used to have a infomercial for work too. I forget the name, but they sell them at CVS and Walgreens. Hair Away or something? It's pink and looks like a mini handhelder sander. LOL! Make sure you read the instructions tho, the hair is supposed to be short so you might have to trim it first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Quote:
OK so can this get clarified

1) Is it a good idea to shave to get off ugly hair from
-Chest, shoulders, arms, stomach, and back?
-All or part of those?

2) Which shaver is best?

3) Is there any cream/lotion, what can I do to make sure when I shave I minimize break outs?

4) Is waxing a better option?
-Doesn't that kill like in 40 year old virgin, isn't it worse than a band aid?
-Also isn't it flamey for a guy?
The back is going to be the worst for itching/shave bumps if you totally shave it to the skin is what I meant. If you have sensitive skin I would only trim up the body hair using a guard & wax the back.

I think the conair shavers work just fine for trim ups. Plus they come with snap on guards so any trimming looks natural if you keep it a little long. The snap on guard is just a piece of plastic that keeps the blades higher from the skin so you don't buzz it to the skin.

Tons of that stuff. For your back I would check out "no bump" powder (cheap) in the mens section. Wash with a back scrubber and acne wash. Neutrogena deep clean is good without being too drying. Its for your face but you can use it on your body. It smells clean. Not flowery or anything.

In my opinion waxing can be better if you have it done right. It takes longer to grow back and its fresh hairs. So the new fresh hair tapered tips don't give bumps as much a razor stubble can. Use that acne wash & scrubber to keep it clear though. Take advil 20 minutes before your wax session. I don't think its "flamey" to groom yourself at all. But back only wax is not really that femmy. I think back only wax is kinda = to trimming crazy out of control nose hairs.

If you get a breakout...don't pick at it. Just put some cortizone-10 on it. It will take the swelling down and your acne scrub wash will take care of the rest.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,396 times
Quote:
Huh?
Spam - that's what the red triangle in the upper right is for. Report it

Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,728 times
I've been using a straight razor on my back and shoulder hair for the last 6-7 years and that seems to work best for me. I do it maybe once or twice a week, and of course on days I'm going out to the beach, on a date, you know time I may take my shirt off or something. It takes me about 20 minutes in the shower, if I try to go too fast I end up cutting myself but I'm used to it by now. I've played baseball most of my life so I have very flexible arms and I can pretty much get it all very easily now.

I'd love to do the laser hair thing because I'm perfect for it (darker hairs, medium-light skin) but the price is outrageous and it's not even permanent, comes back in like a year or two.

I'd like to hear some experiences of waxing and the costs. I just can't see how people go through that, it looks like it REALLY hurts. My back skin isn't as sensitive, but still, damn.

I shaved my chest hairs a little in college but I'm actually more sensitive on the chest, and it would hurt and bleed most of the time even with the sharpest razor. I don't do that anymore, I just trim my chest.

Hair sucks, I think it's gross, I just like to keep myself clean, I'm not a flamer and I don't consider it a flaming act to manage your body hair at all.

If anyone has better suggestions than shaving with a razor I'd like to hear it, it's kind of a pain but it gets the job done so far and it's inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty