Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,476,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
True but tattoo's are largely tribal marking among the primitive tribes. Are you saying that people with tattoo's today belong to a primitive tribe?

If so I agree!
Body marking and piercing has been mainstream in many LARGE cultures and civilizations for years. Those of us who have a command of history and apostrophes know that.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:02 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,187,994 times
Ladies and Gents: Let's get back to the topic, shall we?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 PM

31 posts, read 42,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I agree with the OP. Trends are cyclical and this one will pass too....just like the "show the world my thong" and "pierce my belly button" have become irrelevant.

There will always be some people who want tattoos (or to have their belly button pierced or show the world their thong, etc.) but the mainstream will be on to the next big thing. Are there even any tattoo tv shows left? I think they have all been cancelled.

i personaly do not think that tatoos are a trend, it has been around for years and does not look like they are going out any time soon, and piercings are still around and are actualy getting popular again. just my opions and views of where i live.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:57 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,709,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmommy2007 View Post
i personaly do not think that tatoos are a trend, it has been around for years and does not look like they are going out any time soon, and piercings are still around and are actualy getting popular again. just my opions and views of where i live.
Very true. However, tattoo's were a sub culture confined to soldiers & sailors as marks of brotherhood to the military.

Now it's a fad where one uses his/her skin instead of canvas for 'art' that can't be framed ,or saved, unless one is skinned to save the 'art' work.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,829,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Very true. However, tattoo's were a sub culture confined to soldiers & sailors as marks of brotherhood to the military.

Now it's a fad where one uses his/her skin instead of canvas for 'art' that can't be framed ,or saved, unless one is skinned to save the 'art' work.
Not really.

There were the freakshows with tattooed ladies and the sort; there were the Japanese who thought that tattoos of certain deities would protect them from disease; sailors didn't just do it for "marks of brotherhood" - they were a superstitious bunch, and they liked souvenirs of the exotic places they'd been.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,065,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Not really.

There were the freakshows with tattooed ladies and the sort; there were the Japanese who thought that tattoos of certain deities would protect them from disease; sailors didn't just do it for "marks of brotherhood" - they were a superstitious bunch, and they liked souvenirs of the exotic places they'd been.
Also, dont forget the traditions of the south pacific islanders, there is research indicating that their traditions go back 5000 years.
The Aztec also had tattoos, as did Egyptians.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,829,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Also, dont forget the traditions of the south pacific islanders, there is research indicating that their traditions go back 5000 years.
The Aztec also had tattoos, as did Egyptians.
He already considers tattoos "primitive" and "tribal," no need to even start talking about ancient history with him....

Old 06-10-2010, 05:52 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,165,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
most of those who agree won't have them.

I don't have any tattoos and I do not agree. To me, one, two or a few tastefully done are fascinating and even look good- especially ones that are originals and designed by an artist. Every piece of ink is different, and means something different ... I love a good story, and I love to look at them.

It seems to be a bit snobby, or insecure of someone to cast judgment or look down upon another simply because they've chosen to exhibit body ink, or make themselves appear different than everyone else. Who wants to blend in anyway, stand out- be different - be who you want to be and who cares what others think !!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,065,455 times
Quote:
He already considers tattoos "primitive" and "tribal," no need to even start talking about ancient history with him....
I could say something, but I wont....

Old 06-10-2010, 06:04 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,709,430 times
Quote:

Who is "he" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty