Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:35 PM

768 posts, read 944,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
John T. Molloy has written several books on the subject. You might want to get one and read it. The way a person dresses, eats, walks, etc. lets you know how they feel about themselves and they know themselves much better than any of us do..
Really?

I'm wearing my hoodie right now because I just got in from taking the trash out. I think the way I feel about myself relative to my hoodie is "cold."

But maybe it's deeper. Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to express who I am as a man by my selection in winter apparel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,917,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
But maybe it's deeper. Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to express who I am as a man by my selection in winter apparel.
Goodness knows what people would make of me and my subconcious based on what I have on then.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,165,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
You obviously haven't met the men I have. From my experience men are just as shallow as women when it comes to fashion. My last boyfriend cared way too much about what others thought of him. Good lord, he spent more time getting ready than I do. I mean, I like a guy that takes care of himself but there's a line. Heck, he's even suggested I should wear this or that. Drove me nuts.
Anyway, my last ex wasn't the only come like that that I've come across. I've actually met more than I care to remember (all straight by the way).

Shallowness is not exclusively an American thing. I've frequent other forums for other countries (outside of CD. I get bored and wonder what people on the other side of the world are up to) and they're just as shallow. The shoe thing I've never heard of until I visited Gumtree.com.

Anyway, we all make judgments about people we don't know. It's human nature. Animals do it. If a predator notices a prey in a herd acting differently, sickly or hurt it'll target that specific animal as it's next meal. Fashion to many people is a way to express themselves, how we dress is sort of a glimpse of our personality.
Ever thought maybe he tries so hard to dress well to impress girls who maintain such high standards? Since when did a guy turn a girl down because of what she was wearing?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,896,184 times
It mostly depends on what kind of city or town you live in also. Like most small towns don't care about women who wear short skirts, high heels, and/or low cut shirts (especially where I live is small). Most small towns know one another and talk/gossip/rumor about someone that doesn't dress just like them.

But most big cities and metropolitan areas don't care and some actually love that sight very much (especially Miami, Florida where short skirts is a must).

Old 02-23-2010, 01:32 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,650,824 times
As long as the clothes match the person and they look nice in it...I see no reason for judgment.

Over-analyzing of clothes has been introduced by the fashion world to keep you on your toes for the next "it" thing

Old 02-23-2010, 02:07 AM

10,218 posts, read 17,931,567 times
A lot of women feel that clothing is part of an expression of who they are and therefore what we wear says a lot about us. They don't understand that not everyone feels the same way.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,557,336 times
no its not a shallow society. they wana see your beautiful self, dont make them work so hard.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,165,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
A lot of women feel that clothing is part of an expression of who they are and therefore what we wear says a lot about us. They don't understand that not everyone feels the same way.
Alot of women wear exactly the same thing as each other so I guess that tells the world they are sheep.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:29 AM

10,218 posts, read 17,931,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Alot of women wear exactly the same thing as each other so I guess that tells the world they are sheep.
Well, I don't know anyone like that. I don't model my clothes after anyone else but I do feel my clothes are an expression of who I am. My SIL feels the same way but we have completely different styles. Using clothing as an expression doesn't automatically make one a "sheep".

Old 02-23-2010, 12:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,006,361 times
This is a way to ID who you are. A hard core pedal bike rider wears a uniform these days, a mountin hiker wears certain clothing which relates to the activity. I am a tradesman of many things, and wear common work clothing at work. I do mechanics, run chain saws, and these clothes are different from one job to the next in safety wear. I do a lot of other kinds of labor jobs as well, and people get used to me in them. A lot of what I wear is very old, ragged and patched, since there is no use or economy in wearing new cloths to ruin in a few moments.

Once this brought on what I consider a funny story. A very well to do man I worked for, fixing his 1936 Pontiac Torpedo (a type of old car), painted his large home, cut down some of the largest trees I ever saw, that were dead and dangerous, invited my wife and I to his New Years Eve party.

I had served my wife a glass of punch, and she left me to mingle, and as i was fixing myself a glass of the same, My friend greeted her.

Someone else caught my attention for a moment, and the next thing I knew, I was being tapped on the shoulder. I turned to see the host, my friend, and he asked "Who are you?" and he ment it! I had no choice but to say my name, it was that bad! We both laughed hard and then the party was on.

That was the first and last time my friend saw me in a gray 3 piece suit wearing a tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty