Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:17 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,822,132 times

Advertisements

There are many threads here saying 'is it okay for ____ to wear ____' or saying that certain clothes are inappropriate for a certain age/gender/body type, or they send out the wrong message.

Honestly, I just want to express my total disdain for that sort of fashion policing. Not that I go around wearing dresses, but honestly, especially little things like how short your shorts are or what colour your shirt is, if you think it looks good to hell with everyone else and their judgements!

How often do you find people judge others by how they look? Is it something you and your peer group talk about much? Do you make judgements on people based on what they dress? He she's a poser, or a ****, or he's having a midlife crisis? It's natural to judge but do some people honestly have nothing better to do than judge something so superficial?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:14 AM

571 posts, read 1,202,187 times
I'll start off by saying that I LOVE fashion and have a strong personal style. I do like trends in that they introduce new styles (I'm into everything - mod, vintage, contemporary, classic). I'm not into trendy styles in the sense that I allow designers to dictate what is "in" or "so over". I have a gorgeous wool poncho in ivory from a few years ago. Just because ponchos aren't "in" anymore doesn't mean I'll stop wearing my gorgeous poncho.

Now, despite my saying that I have a strong personal style, I am curious sometimes as to what mainstream America thinks about certain things (and many times, I've been surprised). Sometimes I ask for opinions but I don't follow them. I'm just curious as to what people think and why.

Without sounding like I'm tooting my horn, I happen to be fit and a small size, so I technically have no reason not to wear all my "young clothes" despite the fact that I'm 43. So yes, I wear shorts and mini skirts. However, I'm aware that many people think it's a no-no after XX age (whatever that may be, depending on the region of the country). SO, even though I have toned legs and no varicose veins, I am careful to pair my mini with a more conservative top (I do have a teenage son that I don't want to embarrass).

It doesn't hurt to get others' opinions, but I agree that people need to wear what they like. I hate fashion rules - they are guidelines for people who may not want to spend too much time on fashion. I personally love intentionally breaking fashion rules.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
I'll start off by saying that I LOVE fashion and have a strong personal style. I do like trends in that they introduce new styles (I'm into everything - mod, vintage, contemporary, classic). I'm not into trendy styles in the sense that I allow designers to dictate what is "in" or "so over". I have a gorgeous wool poncho in ivory from a few years ago. Just because ponchos aren't "in" anymore doesn't mean I'll stop wearing my gorgeous poncho.

Now, despite my saying that I have a strong personal style, I am curious sometimes as to what mainstream America thinks about certain things (and many times, I've been surprised). Sometimes I ask for opinions but I don't follow them. I'm just curious as to what people think and why.

Without sounding like I'm tooting my horn, I happen to be fit and a small size, so I technically have no reason not to wear all my "young clothes" despite the fact that I'm 43. So yes, I wear shorts and mini skirts. However, I'm aware that many people think it's a no-no after XX age (whatever that may be, depending on the region of the country). SO, even though I have toned legs and no varicose veins, I am careful to pair my mini with a more conservative top (I do have a teenage son that I don't want to embarrass).

It doesn't hurt to get others' opinions, but I agree that people need to wear what they like. I hate fashion rules - they are guidelines for people who may not want to spend too much time on fashion. I personally love intentionally breaking fashion rules.
Hell yeah, if you look like Jennifer Aniston flaunt it I say. She has a better body and better legs than most 20-something year old women.

Once this group of punks (literally punks as in their fashion, wearing mohawks and leather lol) made fun of the rainbow tye-die shirt I was wearing (then followed it with a racial slur). Didn't bother me, really, but it just made them seem childish and superficial. Maybe they wear what they do to get a negative reaction from people.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:34 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
Quite a bit. I know a professional woman, who people really make fun of because of how she looks. She needs that show, "What Not to Wear" more than anyone I know. She is extremely intelligent, but I believe her professional career has been affected by the fact she wears SAS tie shoes, polyester pants, and long tunic shirts to work every day.

I try to just wear scrubs every day, but even those can be "judged". I don't wear silly Disney prints, or loud prints. I wear conservative black ones, with contrasting trim.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Quite a bit. I know a professional woman, who people really make fun of because of how she looks. She needs that show, "What Not to Wear" more than anyone I know. She is extremely intelligent, but I believe her professional career has been affected by the fact she wears SAS tie shoes, polyester pants, and long tunic shirts to work every day.

I try to just wear scrubs every day, but even those can be "judged". I don't wear silly Disney prints, or loud prints. I wear conservative black ones, with contrasting trim.
Lol, I was wondering what kind of 'professional' woman she is...either way that wouldn't be inappropriate, for different reasons!

Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 AM

324 posts, read 655,590 times
My biggest one are women who wear yoga pants or workout attire 24/7. I am so sick and tired of women wearing these clothes all the time.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:33 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,775,561 times
yeah, the yoga pants, ugh. My biggest peeve is not being clean. People going out in public with dirty clothes, gross flip flops, kids in dirty clothes, diapers. I mean, yeah, if you're a construction worker who just ran into the store for a sandwich you can't help that, but the pajama pants looking like you just rolled out of bed, ugh.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:01 PM

706 posts, read 1,181,272 times
I'm pretty sure some of the other moms judge me when I drop off or pick up my kids from school. I pretty much break all of the supposed fashion rules set by society for a 38 year old mom of 2. I don't believe in "dressing my age". I wear whatever I want from short shorts and skirts to revealing sweaters.

I couldn't care less what others think about how I dress. I work out everyday, eat clean and have a nice figure. I refuse to cover up to appease society's ideas of what I should and should not wear.q

Old 10-20-2013, 01:33 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,385,493 times
I think people can be very judgmental as far as clothing goes. When I wear a sleeveless shirt, my tattoo shows, and I know that I am being judged by some.

I can interact with the very same people with a shirt that covers it and they are totally different towards me. Of course, there are times when I do not feel judged.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:22 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,934,179 times
The bottom line is: all people judge other people about everything. That's human nature, unfortunately.
So, wear what you want without breaking any decency laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty