Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,239 times

Advertisements

Everyone here is talking about 'high end' product, but no one is mentioning higher end brands. Bliss, Olay, L'Occ, Fresh, Bare Minerals are all pretty common names.

I've used Perricone (his peptide contour prep/creme is incredible), Shiseido, Le Mer (crap), La Prairie (some of it is decent, most is good marketing), Cle De Peau, ReVive (love their whole line. Stem Cell based. Works).

The best solution is prevention (SPF), but if you're looking for some slight help, look for anything with peptides or nano stem cell tech. I can also put in a good word for Perricone's new Cold Plasma cream. Feels great.

BN
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Everyone here is talking about 'high end' product, but no one is mentioning higher end brands. Bliss, Olay, L'Occ, Fresh, Bare Minerals are all pretty common names.

I've used Perricone (his peptide contour prep/creme is incredible), Shiseido, Le Mer (crap), La Prairie (some of it is decent, most is good marketing), Cle De Peau, ReVive (love their whole line. Stem Cell based. Works).

The best solution is prevention (SPF), but if you're looking for some slight help, look for anything with peptides or nano stem cell tech. I can also put in a good word for Perricone's new Cold Plasma cream. Feels great.

BN
I used La Mer Creme for a number of years and it worked well for my skin, but after the birth of my first child, it made me breakout and didn't seem to be all that compatible with my skin and under my makeup. I'm currently using the La Mer Gel, which I like. It makes my skin very soft! I'm breaking out, but I'm not sure if it's from pregnancy hormones or from a couple of other products I tried (Olay moisturizer and a primer from Too Faced.)

Love the Cle De Peau concealer, haven't tried any other of their products.

Used to use Neova Copper Peptides, but didn't really see any difference and my derm (also has a Ph.D in Pharmacology) isn't impressed with copper peptides and pretty much considers it marketing.

Kinerase was another waste for me.

I've used some of the Perricone line, but was unimpressed. I used them over 4 years ago and if I recall correctly, they made me break out.

I've been unimpressed Laura Mercier's cosmetics. I had the same experience with Laura Geller's line and SmashBox.

So far Make Up For Ever has been the only makeup line where I have consistently good experiences, whether it's foundation or eyeshadow.

Love Guerlain's primer!

And for drug store products, I love Revlon foundations and Alpha Hydrox facial products.

Unfortunately, there's way too many products for me too list! LOL

Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Forgot to add that I love my Kerastase hair products! They're really the only products that make a difference on my chemically treated hair. (I also use Mastey.)

Old 02-23-2010, 03:22 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,834 times
Default Syn-Ake tripeptide: ingredient to look for

No, super high end established brands has nothing to do with it. I haven't read anything good about even one Perricone product in like the whole 8 years that they've been on the market, including the new and much hyped Cold Plasma.

The MH3 Miracle Hydrate stuff is absolutlely cutting edge, top of the line brand, but new, so no one has heard of it. It contains the ingredients yo mentioned plus the new and important Syn-Ake tripeptide, which won th Swiss Technology Award in 2006.

Syn-Ake (Tripepetide) Winner of Swiss Technology Award 2006 Clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by 52% in 28 days and 82% Smoothing effect giving our clients this effective, painless, Age Killing Ingredient. Botox like effect but without the side effects caused by botox, actually smarter and better than botox. Syn®-Ake (Tripeptide) Is stronger than Vitamin C and works faster than Retinol without the irritating side-effects that comes with using retinol. Increases elastin while repairing the skin. Even further helps smooths lines in the wrinkle prone areas. 5% Tripeptide (Syn-Ake): Syn®-Ake (Tripeptide) Syn®-Ake is an anti-wrinkle active compound based on a synthetic tripeptide that mimics the effect of Waglerin 1, found in the venom of the Temple Viper. The biological activity of Syn®-Ake reduces the contraction frequency of muscle cells on the face, thereby decreasing expression lines. It prevents the fixation of acetylcholine-the 'contraction messenger' for facial muscles that calms the muscle contractions that would increase wrinkling. In vivo testing showed an impressive reduction of over 50% in wrinkle size after 28 days. Recommended concentration: 1-5%. Information on Syn-Ake (Tripeptide) from the company who manufactures, and invented the ingredient: Syn-Ake (Tripeptide of the venom of the Temple Viper) is significantly more powerful than Argireline. Clinical trial tests were done with 45 subjects for 28 days with twice daily application Syn-Ake and Argireline and the average smoothing for each group of fifteen subjects was 21% for SYN-AKE vs. 4% for Argireline. The average reduction in wrinkle depth was 20% for SYN-AKE vs. 2% for Argireline. The pharmaceutical company that invented Argireline also invent Syn-Ake (Tripeptide), are now saying that Syn-Ake is becoming the 21-century antiwrinkle ingredient that surpasses Argireline hands down. Syn-Ake (Tripeptide) was better than Argireline in many ways, were Argireline did have a drying effect on skin and needed hydrators to combat the condition, and some people could not use the ingredient on their skin due to sensitivity. Syn-Ake out surpassed Argireline in clinical trial tests they ran on 45 subjects where smoothing and reduction of wrinkle depth were done; Syn-Ake verses Argireline, and the results were, Syn-Ake out surpassed Argireline across the board in all these areas. There were no side effects with using Syn-Ake, and those with very sensitive could use this ingredient with no drying effects to the skin. Syn-Ake actually kept the skin moist and supply, and decreased wrinkles and lines quicker and better over Argireline, and the percentage was lower in use over Argireline, and results were 20% for reduction in wrinkle depth verses the 2% for Argireline. The results for Syn-Ake will certainly become the next super wrinkle reducer for the 21-century hands down.

Syn-Ake
can be used year round due to the fact that it does not cause sun sensitivity and is probably more effective than a retinoid. Hard to believe but probably true!

MH3 Miracle Hydrate also contains what they are calling advanced or "Generation 6" ingredients, including apple stem cells, kombuchka, hyaluronic acid, and Innovenom TriPlexiCom which is Syn-Ake tripeptide.
Our Products (http://miraclehydrate.com/commerce/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=display&ref=ourproducts - broken link)

MH3 costs upwards of $100; $200 if you want both the serum and the moisturizer. Sounds like a bunch of hype but I think the developers have mighty nice skin and tend to believe them. MH3 has a big following on Facebook too.

Do these ingredients really have to cost that much though? Is it really all about a high end label? Seattle Skin Care has products with many of the same ingredients for about 3/4 the price ($75 rather than $100) and can not in any way be considered a pricey, well known label.
seattleskincare.com - Natural Skincare Home page

What sets Seattle Skincare apart from all the other skincare companies out there?
Simple really...
Our superior ingredients, formulation, freshness, and percentages we use; which are always to the maximum required, our cutting-edge technology; and we make each batch in small amounts to ensure freshness and to keep the quality high. We use only the finest organic ingredients on the market, even when they cost us more. Unique, Special Formulations that are formulated and developed by us here at Seattle Skincare.

The line is organic and contains many of the same "Generation 6" ingredients listed above; apple stem cell, tripeptide, hyaluronic acid, etc . There is a stem cell serum, an epidermal growth factor serum, syn-ake serum etc. Seattle Skin Care lists the exact percentages of every ingredient for every product!!
http://n.b5z.net/i/u/10009674/i//Karen-Slattery.jpg (broken link)
45 year old Seattle Skin Care customer, used products 5 years

In my opinion, Seattle Skin Care may make some of the best advanced ingredient serums on the U.S, market, period, irregardless of price or label prominence.

If high end products are really your thing though, there are other companies that make products containing Syn-Ake:

Planet Skin Care, pricey line carried at Harrod's in UK, lots of testimonials
Planet Skincare | Synake Moisturiser and Pepha Tight Serum

Syence Skin Care, also from UK
Syence Skin Care - Official Site

Rodial, a holy grail celebrity brand, pricey, European and also written about frequently in U.S. fashion magazines:
Rodial Body and Skin Care Products - Anti Wrinkle Cream, Natural Deodorant, Non Surgical Facelift, Tummy Tuck, Boob Job

Rodial has just released a very high end Syn-Ake serum called Glamoxy Snake Serum. Big with the celebrity crowd.
Botox in a bottle: The £125 moisturiser that promises to freeze time...by mimicking the paralysing effects of snake venom | Mail Online
Glamoxy Snake Serum, botox used by Kate Moss, Cheryl Cole - What's On Xiamen

Rodial founder Maria Hatzistefanis, 37, great skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post

BN

Old 02-23-2010, 03:41 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,964 times
As a redhead, I took advantage of Prescriptives color matching technology and had them make my foundation to suit my difficult skin tone. Most foundations have yellows in them. My skin actually has pink and blue tones. There is no orange mask line and my break-outs are minimal. Unfortunately, Prescriptives went out of business last year. Oh what will I do now? They said Estee Lauder may pick up the color matching stuff. I like my pressed powder by PUR. My MAC eye make up is my favorite but due to the cost, I tried Ulta as a replacement. It just isn't the same and my eyes have been bloodshot ever since. Mascara I leave to Mabelline. I believe the name is Collossal Lashes, the tube is yellow.

As for cleansers, I rotate but mostly I use Aveeno. I have their foaming facial cleanser and their positively radiant lotions. In the mornings, I use a facial scrub bar from Lush that contains calomine lotion to down play my skin's redness. For my hair, it is not color treated and I use a shampoo bar called Godiva from Lush. I'm on a quest to eliminate chemicals from my products. Whether they touch your skin for a moment, or a day, they are chemicals all the same. It isn't easy to do so as I use up all my products, I'm looking for ways to reduce the chemicals used.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Have liked Olay Regenerist thus far for moisturizing/general skin care, but honestly, no single product has done nearly as much for my skin as simply NOT EXPOSING IT TO UV RAYS when I can avoid it. I embraced being pale when I was a teenager (which was sooooooooooooo not the trend, it was they heyday of fake 'n bake), and today, I have skin that looks so youthful strangers comment on it, whereas my peers who jumped on the tanning bed bandwagon back in the day look like weathered handbags even though they're only in their early 30s.

*Edit, oh and also choosing NOT to smoke...most of the aforementioned human saddlebags also have attractive lines around their eyes and mouths as a result of smoking, which really age them. No amount of high-priced emollients and salves are going to erase the damage born of unhealthy choices.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:30 PM

Exclamation it's science!

What explains how good Kate Moss looks? She has been smoking since she was 14 , smokes a pack a day , and has said that she never intends to quit. From my research online there are no good sources saying that she uses Botox. IMO, she does not have the "Botox" look. She looks smooth and pretty, not frozen.

Kate Moss uses Rodial and the Tua Viso facersizer gadget. Also, she probably takes a good supplement like Imedeen. I've also read she uses something called mangosteen.
Imedeen by Ferrosan - index
She is dealing with the damage somehow!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
*Edit, oh and also choosing NOT to smoke...most of the aforementioned human saddlebags also have attractive lines around their eyes and mouths as a result of smoking, which really age them. No amount of high-priced emollients and salves are going to erase the damage born of unhealthy choices.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:36 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubba View Post
High end beauty products (malin+goetz, kiehl's) and drugstore brands, any difference? I know the high end ones probably have "better" or more organic ingredients. But really, do they make a difference?

"high end" only refers to how much something costs...not if they are better.

There have been more than a dozen news shows (20/20, dateline, etc) where Good Housekeeping, or Consumer Reports....or some other unbiased consumer group did some good testing and found the simple things such as good old basic cold cream beat out those $200 jars at the 'high end' retailers. You are paying for the packaging and the store...not the product.

The only real beauty products are like the other poster said:
prevention- stay out of the sun!
and real FDA drugs....like Retin A

But Avon has a great line, my sister swears by Bye-Lines by Elizabeth Arden, my other sister loves Oil of Olay.

Just find something you like.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 PM

The new tripeptide has not hit the drugstore shelves yet and is not likely to for a while. Hello! From what I've been reading, tripeptide may in fact be more effective than a retinoid! Open your minds people!! It's a new decade! Retin-a has so many caveats, sun sensitivity being the main one. Peptides can be used year round.

http://n.b5z.net/i/u/10009674/i//Karen-Slattery.jpg (broken link)
Used tripeptide and other new serums like epidermal growth factor for 5 years; 45 years old and looks 10+ years younger. A result not linked to Retin-A!!

Active ingredients cost more, period. If you want a new, science based skin care product besides or in addition to the prescription Retin-A, as part of your daily skin care regime, in all likelihood, you won't find it at the drugstore and it will cost more money.

Peptides do have scientific backing:
What Are Peptides and How Do They Work to Remove Wrinkles | Peptide Details
**Peptides applied directly to your skin will make it think it has recently lost collagen and has to manufacture more. The most frequently utilized “signal” peptide for skincare in this capacity is Matrixyl (palmitoyl pentapeptide). This peptide is very effective in minimizing the prevalence of fine lines.

Copper peptide studies show may be more effective than Retin-A!!:
Copper-Peptides as Compared with Retin-A and Retinol for Wrinkle Reduction (http://reverseskinaging.com/industry3.html - broken link)
**The study found, that after one month, copper-peptides had the most significant effect on collagen production. Significant increases in collagen production were found in 70% of the persons treated with copper-peptide creams, 50% of the persons treated with the vitamin C cream, and 40% of the persons treated with retinoic acid.

Just putting moisturizier on your face isn't what it's about anymore. To really reverse damage you have to use several products: an antioxidant serum, a retinoid AND some kind of peptide product, and a good sunscreen every day, without fail! The wrinkle battle has been to waged morning and night, if you are really serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
"
The only real beauty products are like the other poster said:
prevention- stay out of the sun!
and real FDA drugs....like Retin A

But Avon has a great line, my sister swears by Bye-Lines by Elizabeth Arden, my other sister loves Oil of Olay.

Just find something you like.

Last edited by lemon&lime; 02-24-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 08:56 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
for me yes, there is a difference .. especially for cleanser & foundation

I'm using Image for cleanser at the moment & it is really working for my skin.

Also moisturiser I've been using various Garraud moisturiser and found very good.

Cheap moisteriser leaves my skin feeling way too oily & leads to breakouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty