Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

I started collecting because my mom had a few pieces I fell in love with as a child. She gave them to the neighborhood kids to pay dress up with and they disappeared. So when I got older and discovered estate sales and Ebay I tried to find replicas of those pieces and it snowballed from there.
Most of mine are unmarked but I have a few Monet and Lisner, mostly the plastic moonglow.
Mine all live in boxes too, old 1950's jewelry boxes that spill out onto my dresser.

I like the idea of butterfly brooches in a display case, it sounds very pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 06:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I like very simple and discreet jewellery. I wear my Grand-Mother's pearls a lot but apart from that mostly Silver or Pewter. I loathe yellow gold and "bling" . If it's understated I like it. My favourite earrings are heart-shaped tiny Purple Austrian Quartz Crystals with little white crystals. My favourite ring is a black pearl I inherited from my Grand-Mother or a Purple Austrian Crystal silver ring.

The only more conspicuous jewellery I wear are bigger brooches on Winter coats. I love South-West Native Silver Jewellery. I also try to only buy vintage, recycled or fair-trade jewellery as most jewellery is incredibly damaging to the Planet and the people who extract the materials and make it.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:32 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
Almost all of my jewelry is silver, platinum or stainless steel. I work from home/semi retired and my daily jewelry is just simple silver teardrop earrings, silver watch, and either a turquoise or mixed stone/beads necklace.

I have diamonds I never wear - they don't interest me anymore. I have an extensive collection of Native American jewelry - lots of vintage (1960's) turquoise e and lapis earrings, bracelets and necklaces. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I still love wearing pearls occasionally.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:10 PM

604 posts, read 856,280 times
Always on:

Tag Heuer watch and a gold necklace that my husband bought me, diamond solitaire earrings I bought myself because I always wanted them, and a simple bracelet with gold beads that I bought on vacation with a girlfriend and I just love the thing to pieces.

I love bracelets and have a lot of them, including plenty of expensive ones, but the deciding factor on whether I buy something is "Is it unique?" It doesn't have to be expensive, it has to be something that isn't common (in design or materials or both) and doesn't look like it came from a mall jewelry store.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:50 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
My favorite piece of jewelry right now is a necklace my son made for me for Mother's Day. He cut beautiful origami paper into long triangles and rolled the triangles up into beautiful paper beads. He strung them on shiny cord. It's priceless. He just turned 10.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:51 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times
What I normally wear everyday is a pair of small hoop earrings (I have gold and silver ones), 2-piece wedding ring, watch, and another ring on my right hand (either my turquoise rings or my silver diamond one). On occasion I'll wear a necklace, but not all the time (don't like too much of anything around my neck). Rarely do I wear a bracelet anymore (but some days I will).

Old 05-16-2010, 03:44 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,732 times
I like ear cuffs, but finding stores who stock them are quite difficult. And online is not much help either...any suggestions?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:10 PM

609 posts, read 1,259,962 times
the only earrings i wear are studs. either silver balls or czs. i like the tiny tiny studs because ive got so many holes in my ears...i work in a jewelry dept so piercing happens. we train on each other...ive got 9 holes. when it comes to other things. i love stretchy bracelets (costume jewelry)...they're easy and cute and ive got like 100 of them lol. i like my rings dainty...ive got a bunch but i only wear two, they're very simple and small. ones a little marquise shaped diamond ring thats very antique looking and the others a mystic fire topaz, small...white gold. i love them. AND the necklace im wearing right now is this one. a cut out singapore penny i just got at a local festival...im so in love with it. http://www.jcoin.com/coin_images/097.jpg and this is the site if you're interested in some, theyve got a bunch of them. Terry Clift Cut Coin Jewelry

other then that im pretty minimal. i dont wear bracelets everyday, just now and again...everything else is pretty dainty. i really love jewelry though...im learning to make it right now through trial and error and ive got a buttload of beads lol.

edit: just for the record...this diamond ring is the only one ill ever purchase...i liked it cause it was unique and little...but diamonds bore the heck out of me lol. i like birthstones...im big on color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty