Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:03 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,653,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You just want to be respectful to the family of the person who died. If all you have are very casual clothes and you can't afford to buy anything dressier, then wear what you have and just make sure it's clean and ironed and your shoes are polished, if they're that kind of shoe. If all you have are sport shoes, wear those. Your clothes don't have to be black, but generally dark colors are considered appropriate for the mood.
Agree. You no longer have to wear black. I just returned from a very large funeral for a family member. Just be clean and conservative in your clothing choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Tkt Tkt started this thread

44 posts, read 153,067 times
So are these clothes good:

black sweater, pretty much like this one
http://www.blackrainbow-shop.com/img/p/1649-5362-large.jpg (broken link)
black pants
and any of these shoes:
http://www.complex.com/assets/images...ns/diadora.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fikkgSXQL_...-BLK-ANGLE.jpg
http://images3.lkimg.com/product-ima...-shoe-mens.jpg

Would that be ok?

Also, is it inappropriate to wear perfume at a funeral?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 AM

677 posts, read 1,539,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkt View Post
So are these clothes good:

black sweater, pretty much like this one
http://www.blackrainbow-shop.com/img/p/1649-5362-large.jpg (broken link)
black pants
and any of these shoes:
http://www.complex.com/assets/images...ns/diadora.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fikkgSXQL_...-BLK-ANGLE.jpg
http://images3.lkimg.com/product-ima...-shoe-mens.jpg

Would that be ok?

Also, is it inappropriate to wear perfume at a funeral?

I believe those would be fine. Perfume/cologne/make-up/jewelry, is all acceptable, in moderation.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,667,164 times
I think all of the shoes you are considering are a problem. They're sneakers, and I would consider them inappropriate for a funeral.

You're balancing a number of considerations. It probably doesn't make sense for you to invest in an entire suit if you would never have occasion to wear it other than at this funeral, and the same may be true even of a dark sports coat.

If you do have a use for them, however, I would encourage a dark suit, or dark trousers and sports coat, with a white, buttoned dress shirt and a dark tie, black dress shoes and black socks.

Of course, I'm probably more traditionally minded than many. At the last funeral I attended, which was a few weeks ago for a woman active in a pretty alternative community, I was the only person wearing a suit, and one of only a few wearing a tie. Most other people were dressed casually but neatly, but the range went all the way down to cargo pants or even cargo shorts.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,631,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
They do in New Orleans...well some do...
Not only in NO either, but yeah I have heard of it and actually went to a formal funeral before.

When my uncle died, we were all called and told to dress VERY formally, and that it didn't have to be dark clothing, but it did have to be formal wear.

My uncle was not Creole (Irish actually), but loved the culture and food, and creole lifestyle, since he did work in one of the parishes when he 1st got out of medical school. My aunt said he always made he promise that he would have a Creole style funeral, and he did.

It was a sight to see all of us out side in Oct with formal wear on, dancing and singing to a live band, at the funeral site. It IMO, was the sweetest and most beautiful funeral I have ever been to.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,249,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Not only in NO either, but yeah I have heard of it and actually went to a formal funeral before.

When my uncle died, we were all called and told to dress VERY formally, and that it didn't have to be dark clothing, but it did have to be formal wear.

My uncle was not Creole (Irish actually), but loved the culture and food, and creole lifestyle, since he did work in one of the parishes when he 1st got out of medical school. My aunt said he always made he promise that he would have a Creole style funeral, and he did.

It was a sight to see all of us out side in Oct with formal wear on, dancing and singing to a live band, at the funeral site. It IMO, was the sweetest and most beautiful funeral I have ever been to.
I bet he had a big smile on his face..

Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,055,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkt View Post
Hey,

Is it okay to not to wear a black tux at a funeral, but other black clothes?

What kind of clothes do you think are out of a question?
A tux at a funeral is a bit much...some nice slacks with a shirt and tie will do...maybe a suit jacket to put on in case its chilly.

I think anything too short, on a woman is definitely out of the question at a funeral. And, I've been a funerals where guys are coming in with long white tee shirts and bagging pants, with their underwear showing..DEFINITELY out of the question.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:33 AM

88,642 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think all of the shoes you are considering are a problem. They're sneakers, and I would consider them inappropriate for a funeral.

You're balancing a number of considerations. It probably doesn't make sense for you to invest in an entire suit if you would never have occasion to wear it other than at this funeral, and the same may be true even of a dark sports coat.

If you do have a use for them, however, I would encourage a dark suit, or dark trousers and sports coat, with a white, buttoned dress shirt and a dark tie, black dress shoes and black socks.

Of course, I'm probably more traditionally minded than many. At the last funeral I attended, which was a few weeks ago for a woman active in a pretty alternative community, I was the only person wearing a suit, and one of only a few wearing a tie. Most other people were dressed casually but neatly, but the range went all the way down to cargo pants or even cargo shorts.
My brother was an electrician, and when he died, some of his coworkers came to the wake (not the actual funeral) in their work clothing. We didn't care--we were just touched that they came. One young electrician was very upset over my bro's death--he had his work uniform on, a long earring, long hair with spikes on the top--I remember my oldest sister sitting there comforting HIM. We (the family) didn't care so much about his or anyone else's mode of dress at that time, but I personally would wear a black dress/suit or other dark clothing to a wake or funeral. That's just me.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:35 AM

88,642 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
A tux at a funeral is a bit much...some nice slacks with a shirt and tie will do...maybe a suit jacket to put on in case its chilly.

I think anything too short, on a woman is definitely out of the question at a funeral. And, I've been a funerals where guys are coming in with long white tee shirts and bagging pants, with their underwear showing..DEFINITELY out of the question.
I remember when a friend's father died. One girl showed up for the funeral in a short black skirt with fishnet stockings and high heels. She was about 25 and had a kid, so you think she would have known better.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:36 AM

29,753 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
I think all of the shoes you are considering are a problem.
You don't have to do it right this minute for this occasion, but it's always a good idea to have at least one pair of dress shoes. Even if you only wear them once a year, you never know when there will be a wedding, funeral, job interview, dinner at nice restaurant, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty