Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:50 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,936,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
All those "new" sizes are phony and simply meant so women can say "I'm a size 0" to prove to the world how "tiny" they are.

I was cleaning out my friend's aunt's apartment after she passed away. This woman worked in Manhattan and had a lot of beautiful, timeless, & classy business attire. I looked at the tags to see the sizes. Everything was size 9 or 10. She was about 5'5", average weight/body size. In this day and age? Those clothes would have been a 00 or possibly smaller (do they make negative women's sizes now?)

I guess the clothing manufacturers want to stay on the womens' "good" side so they can keep deluding themselves into thinking they're smaller than what they actually are.

I would love to see the reactions on some women's faces if they ever knew what size they *really* are..... and, trust me girlies, you're NOT a "0" or even a 1 or 3..... LOL!
I get what you're saying, but realize that there's no *real* size to refer to. Over time clothing manufacturers have made smaller sizes large cut to cater to the expanding waistlines of the US population. There was no "original" or "standard" size 2 or 4 or 8 to base things off of. Thirty years ago, a size 8 was probably today's size 0 or 2, easily. Still, the size 8 of yore was still essentially as arbitrary as is the size 0 of today.

Realize that "staying on a woman's good size" = marketing towards fatter women, which = more sales, which = more $$ for the company. It's nothing more than a business tactic.

IMHO, the only sizing that truly makes sense is waist size, but still sometimes even that isn't accurate to the actual measurement of one's waist! I was looking at one clothing website (can't remember which one) that had a size 26 fitting someone with a 28 1/2 inch waist!

Anyhow, as the OP I can say that this thread was made to complain about vanity sizing, not to relish in the size that I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 10:13 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,034,558 times
Vanity sizing=The Emperors New Clothes
Anybody remember that old fairy tale?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:56 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,370,126 times
I quite like Levi's. They seem to be true to their sizing (meaning, the majority of their styles/cuts seem to fall at the same size). I haven't worn anything else (except pants that I had prior to trying my first pair, and needed to wear 'em out) since I was about 17.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:57 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,370,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Vanity sizing=The Emperors New Clothes
Anybody remember that old fairy tale?
I don't think I ever heard that one. What is it?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:04 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,936,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I quite like Levi's. They seem to be true to their sizing (meaning, the majority of their styles/cuts seem to fall at the same size). I haven't worn anything else (except pants that I had prior to trying my first pair, and needed to wear 'em out) since I was about 17.
I tried on some Levi's today!! I loved the fit of one that I tried, but I wasn't crazy about the washes that were available for it.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:28 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,735,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I don't think I ever heard that one. What is it?
The Emporer's New Clothes by Hans Christian Andersen

A wonderful Hans Christian Anderson story of an emperor who fancied himself to be glorious in all his new clothes. To his misfortune, he was not attractive, nor could clothes could make him beautiful and his tailors finally gave up on him, fitting him in extravagant imaginary royal duds woven from invisible fibers. They then told him what a stud he was in these non-existent clothes and of course he believed it.

When the emperor went out in public to mingle with his people, quickly word began to spread that he was actually stark naked. Because he was the feared and all-powerful ruler, everyone was afraid to tell him that he actually was wearing nothing at all and looked a complete fool. Till finally a small child who did not know how to play by the rules blurted that he was completely naked and had no clothes at all.

It is one of the best fairy tales of all time. The moral of the story is that if you have enough money and position, people will tell you what you want to hear (that you are beautiful, sexy, desirable), whether it is true or not. Only a fool would believe them.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,278,671 times
The best fit I've ever had was a dress I bought from Overstock. They don't ask your size. You pick from a chart of measurements which is adjusted to every single brand. The dress fit so wonderfully that it was even nicer than if I'd gone and tried on dresses at a store.

I fit nicely into Junior extra large. So that is where I shop. Its a good thing that my idea of style is ... basic. But I remember when I knew pretty much size to look for and was unlikely to have to try on four sizes to find the right one. It doesn't matter what you call the size, you look the same...

Old 11-04-2009, 06:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I agree. I like Old Navy jeans and I have gained weight in the past few yrs. So I was a 4, sometimes a 2, but usually 4, before the gain. I went from 5'2" and about 110-113 lbs to 128 lbs. A 6 I had in my closet was a bit snug, so I ordered an 8. Fell down. So, I went to the store, bought size 6 Dreamer (the classic rise) and they fit in the store but after wearing them for a couple of hours (even after washing and drying in hot) they too stretch out and I have to put on a belt. I went in yesterday and put the size 4 on and they fit (I did not like the way they looked so I did not buy them). I think once I get back down to 110, I'm going to be a size 0 but will also fit into my size 4s I bought in 2003!

Its so silly!
Old Navy jeans do stretch out a lot, you have to buy them uncomfortably tight in the store. Once you break them in they are fine.

I keep wondering where all these size 0s are coming from who weigh about the same amount that I do but who are shorter. I am 5'6" and weigh 135 and am a solid 6, maybe a 4 in some cuts. I do not think vanity sizing is all that insane.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,179,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I keep wondering where all these size 0s are coming from who weigh about the same amount that I do but who are shorter. I am 5'6" and weigh 135 and am a solid 6, maybe a 4 in some cuts. I do not think vanity sizing is all that insane.
Height and weight aren't a measure of everything. Different body shapes, placement of said weight, muscle vs. fat, etc. You could have two people be the exact same height and weight - one could be trim and fit, the other fluffy and pudgy. At 5'3 and 123, myself (only 8lbs to go!) - I'm not a zero by a longshot. I've got a few pair of size 1's that are definitely cut quite bigger than I'd imagine a size 1 to be.

But again, this thread isn't about bragging rights on who's wearing what size. It's about how companies are scaling their clothes more and more to cater to larger clientele.. at the expense of the smaller sizes.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
Quote:
I get what you're saying, but realize that there's no *real* size to refer to. Over time clothing manufacturers have made smaller sizes large cut to cater to the expanding waistlines of the US population. There was no "original" or "standard" size 2 or 4 or 8 to base things off of. Thirty years ago, a size 8 was probably today's size 0 or 2, easily. Still, the size 8 of yore was still essentially as arbitrary as is the size 0 of today.
It makes you wonder why women's clothes can't be sized like men's are--just in measurements. I was complaining to a boyfriend once about petite pants being too short, but regular pants are too long, so I always have to have them altered. He looked confused and asked "why don't you just get the right inseam measurement?" And I had to be all, "oh, grasshopper, you have much to learn."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty