Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,657,165 times

Advertisements

I've never slept with a bra on, I can't imagine it's good for you. I know some women due to their size and comfort issues are doctor ordered to wear a bra but, I personally can't imagine wearing one to sleep in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:40 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,480,082 times
I'm assuming that those of you who sleep in bras aren't wearing underwires?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:15 PM

42,000 posts, read 75,342,629 times
I can barely stand to wear a bra when I'm awake.

Years ago, a bra-hatin' college dorm buddy tacked a newspaper article to her door; the headline read A Cool Breast is a Happy Breast. The article alleged that wearing a bra increased the temperature of the breast, therefore making it more susceptible to abnormal cell growth. Never heard a thing about it afterward.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:24 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,024,983 times
Geez, I look forward to the end of the day when I can let my body rest from all the restriction, friction and irritation of clothing, especially the bra!! At least in bed the forces of gravity are not pullin' 'em toward the floor!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 PM

19,442 posts, read 15,295,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineCountry View Post
My girls are like two wild cheetahs that have been caged all day. They pace about, back and forth..restless... waiting. When Im home, and it's near bedtime, I carefully release them out into the wild.

They would not have it any other way. They would get angry. And you would not like them when they are angry.
This is one of the funniest things I have ever read! And I concur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
I found this and thought some of you would be interested in reading it.

Bra-wearing has been linked to breast cancer in a study done by Sidney Ross Singer and Soma Grismaijer. They found, for example, that women who wore a bra 24 hours a day had a 113-fold increase in breast cancer incidence compared to women who wore bra less than 12 hours daily! They suggest that bras exert enough pressure to the breast and surrounding areas to inhibit the flow of lymph, which then causes toxins and other waste material to remain in the breasts instead of being flushed out.
Now, this effect may be due to the fact that most women just wear the wrong size bra that is too tight somewhere. No one has done any studies investigating the link between breast cancer and how well the woman's bra fits. Either way, for your breast health's sake it is better to avoid wearing bras whenever possible, and for those occasions when you do need one, get well-fitting bras. Give your breasts "free time". Take your bra off whenever you can, such as at home. At the very least do not wear it to sleep.

Also, while bras do give breasts support, they do not ultimately prevent your breasts from sagging. Gravity will eventually take its effect. There is actually some evidence that bras can even increase sagging. One possible reason for that is that the breast has ligaments, and since other bodily ligaments can atrophy when not in use, the same might happen to the breast ligaments under the constant artificial support from the bra, resulting in increased sagginess. Another possible reason for bra-wearing increasing sagginess is IF a woman wears an ill-fitting bra, which may force some of the breast tissue to "migrate", resulting in differently shaped breasts than otherwise.
Yes, that's what I had heard, that they can prohibit the release of toxins. I've heard the same thing about antiperspirants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Geez, I look forward to the end of the day when I can let my body rest from all the restriction, friction and irritation of clothing, especially the bra!! At least in bed the forces of gravity are not pullin' 'em toward the floor!
LOL! Yes, I agree about the cursed clothing!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:27 PM

6 posts, read 9,108 times
I sleep with my bra. o_o Sleeping with your bra on doesn't cause breast cancer or prevent it.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:29 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,107,254 times
I'm a guy, but for the life of me couldn't figure out why any woman would want to sleep with a bra! I thought t-shirt, panties and no bra was the preferred outfit. At least that's what my ex and my other three live-in g'f's always wore--if they were wearing anything, that is.
To me sleeping with a bra is just too modest--bordering on being sexually repressed. Why would you encumber yourself like that?
Just curious.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:34 PM

19,442 posts, read 15,295,365 times
Default Just to clarify...

...I'm not saying wearing a bra to bed causes cancer. I was just passing on what I had read. Like I said, I just don't wear one out of comfort.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:47 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,905,400 times
I'm a woman who proudly DOES NOT wear a bra to bed.

I have never, to my knowledge, had any girlfriends through my life that wore a bra to bed. But evidently there are some women who do.

The things one learns on City-Data!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:55 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,851,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
For those of you who do sleep in a bra, do you mind my asking why? The breast model said she did it to preserve their appearance (for her career). Is that the only reason for doing so? It just would never occur to me to sleep in a bra.
The only time I ever slept in a bra is when I was newly pregnant..you know those first few months when they just are so painful!

Other than that, I would hate sleeping in a bra...too uncomfortable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty