Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 07:47 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,707,823 times

Advertisements

Just like the title says, I'd like to know some of your thoughts and opinions on how women dress these days. My general feeling is that I am amazed on a daily basis on what I see (literally), particularly with younger women from early teens through mid twenties.

I work with the public on a daily basis and see girls in groups together and with their families. I particularly find it hard to believe how parents allow their early teen girls dress, specifically in low cut tops showing cleavage and skirts and unbelievably short shorts.

I'd also like to from girls in this age group and what your thoughts are pertaining to what kind of reaction you expect by dressing in this manner, what input, if any your parents have on how you dress, and how you feel about the attention you get.

Disclaimer...........I am a happily married man with a beautiful wife, so don't take this as anything else other than a general interest in to the mentality of how and why women dress the way they do today. More than anything, I will turn 40 next year and am starting to feel that feeling where you kind of start shaking your head at the world around you, in disbelief.

Thanks for any friendly and insightful conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 07:20 AM

335 posts, read 1,311,820 times
I really do not see anything "bad" about how females dress today.There are a few exceptions, of course. Todays dress is not so conservative and "puritanical" as in the past.They are enjoying a fashion freedom which past generations did not have.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
I really do not see anything "bad" about how females dress today.There are a few exceptions, of course. Todays dress is not so conservative and "puritanical" as in the past.They are enjoying a fashion freedom which past generations did not have.
I don't think it's "bad" myself, I guess I see just about everyone showing cleavage these days as if it's no big thing, and more specifically, younger women showing it. I participate in a lot of discussion forums and see a lot of women referring to a mans reaction to the way they dress as "creepy", etc, and just wonder what kind of reaction women expect when some practically walk around topless.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 AM

19,658 posts, read 12,251,755 times
When I was a kid lots of teen girls wore really short mini-skirts and went braless with halter tops and wore string bikinis, tight hiphuggers, etc. It showed a lot of skin but was considered "mod" not skanky. And they wore high platform heels but they weren't clear lucite.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,368,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I don't think it's "bad" myself, I guess I see just about everyone showing cleavage these days as if it's no big thing, and more specifically, younger women showing it. I participate in a lot of discussion forums and see a lot of women referring to a mans reaction to the way they dress as "creepy", etc, and just wonder what kind of reaction women expect when some practically walk around topless.
See, that irks me unbelievably. I'm pretty modest when it comes to dressing myself. I do sometimes wear shirts that are form fitting, and/or low-cut (I don't do skirts, and don't do shorts. I'm a jeans person). If a man (or woman) happens to look at my chest, or curves...well, I expect it (don't get me wrong....I'm not asking for that "type" of attention, but I realize that it happens when people show more of their bodies). I don't scoff, or sneer, or anything else at the person.

On the note that it irks me, it also amuses me. You'll find these girls (I'll say 16, for example, since they think they know everything and have the world by the arse) that will dress in cute, but overly sexy clothing (maybe a low-cut spaghetti strap shirt, that's tight, and shows stomach, short-shorts, and boots). Then they want to have a fit when someone they find unattractive, or "old", makes a "perverse" remark. Or - they'll tell them that they're jealous because their wife/girlfriend doesn't look as good, (or in the case of a woman) they're jealous because the girl looks better than the woman.

I say we go back to the 1600's style of dress. I'd be okay with that.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I say we go back to the 1600's style of dress. I'd be okay with that.

No, please no to that!!!!!!!!

I just love how girls react when they are obviously dressed to be noticed and they realize they have your attention. I'm a pretty fit looking guy for 39 years old, so it's not like I'm some outcast looking at them.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:08 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,275,900 times
You think its funny to creep out girls young enough to be your daughter? Because trust me...there is no 39 that does not look old to that age.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
Eh, I dress like a vamp from the 50s.
A Daddy-O's 50s Retro Rockabilly and Stop Staring Clothing Swing Dresses, Tops, Separates, Capris, 50's Clothes, Saddle Shoes and Vintage Inspired Fashion.

I've never understood why girls wear tight fitting tops and skirts that show off the vajayjay. But, to each their own. I have giant boobs and long legs so nomatter what I wear, I'll be considered a wh*re.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
A Daddy-O's 50s Retro Rockabilly and Stop Staring Clothing Swing Dresses, Tops, Separates, Capris, 50's Clothes, Saddle Shoes and Vintage Inspired Fashion.

I've never understood why girls wear tight fitting tops and skirts that show off the vajayjay. But, to each their own. I have giant boobs and long legs so nomatter what I wear, I'll be considered a wh*re.
:shoc ked:: shocked:

Old 10-27-2009, 08:59 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,368,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I know what you mean about the boob thing :\
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty