Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,187,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I would say something about that short skirts cause rape...but I feel apathetic...must be this pill...

;P
Meh. It's probably because I'm in convention mode and prepared to see at least 20 underage girls dressed as Yoko from Gurren Lagann - the girl on the right, for reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 01:57 PM

60 posts, read 217,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
Skimpy, tight clothes, short tight skirts, and we want to know why theres so much rape and sexual attacks? Hmmmm.

Allow me to address this, seeing as I am a detective and the very thing I do is work with rape/sexual assault victims.

How a woman is dressed is the least thing that has to do with rape and sexual assaults. A lot of it is a power thing, the ability to control your victim. For some it's pysch issues involving whatever screwed up issues they have going on in their head concerning sex/women, whatever. And a lot of these sickos can commit these crimes based on opportunity.

A couple serious rapes that occurred over the summer, the victims were NOT dressed provocatively at all. Heck, they weren't even all that attractive, if you really want to know. You just dont understand that rape is about so much more than how someone is dressed. Trust me.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:58 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,545,927 times
its a direct function of a 50% drop in marriage and a 50% failure in remaining marriages.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:16 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,150,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Just like the title says, I'd like to know some of your thoughts and opinions on how women dress these days. My general feeling is that I am amazed on a daily basis on what I see (literally), particularly with younger women from early teens through mid twenties.

I work with the public on a daily basis and see girls in groups together and with their families. I particularly find it hard to believe how parents allow their early teen girls dress, specifically in low cut tops showing cleavage and skirts and unbelievably short shorts.

I'd also like to from girls in this age group and what your thoughts are pertaining to what kind of reaction you expect by dressing in this manner, what input, if any your parents have on how you dress, and how you feel about the attention you get.

Disclaimer...........I am a happily married man with a beautiful wife, so don't take this as anything else other than a general interest in to the mentality of how and why women dress the way they do today. More than anything, I will turn 40 next year and am starting to feel that feeling where you kind of start shaking your head at the world around you, in disbelief.

Thanks for any friendly and insightful conversation.
I think the ladies dress with the tight jeans to show off all their bootyfull curves because men nowadays are all about the butt. The tighter the jeans or shorts ride up their butts the better Anything to get a man's attention and then get pissed off when men actually remark on their butt or break their necks looking at it because it is right there in their face

Old 11-03-2009, 12:54 PM

8 posts, read 26,147 times
For the most part, people will only do what they get away with. Today, it is OK to be dressed that way; yes, many of us give these dressers the side eye, but there are no restrictions like in the past for girls to only wear skirts, and that too of a certain size. If these styles were accepted by societies in the past, I'm sure girls back then would have indulged in them.

And just like many, I took offense to the style of clothing and rape connection.
If a person wants to do something, he'll do it. Whether the girl is covered head to toe, or not.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:18 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,296,043 times
Yeh...nothing would turn off a rapist more than a stiletto in the eyeball anyway. Or you could pop out both his eyes with your fresh manicure. To each his own...

Old 11-03-2009, 01:26 PM

36,455 posts, read 16,064,438 times
Example: 16 yo, female, with lacy leggings, silver ballet slipper shoes, black sleeveless tunic, plunging neckline with empire waist.....going to school
This is a family who were Mennonites last year and have transitioned into a baptist church this year. First year this girl has gone to public school.
I was floored when I saw her, first thought was "hooker".

Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,603,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Pistons View Post
For the most part, people will only do what they get away with. Today, it is OK to be dressed that way; yes, many of us give these dressers the side eye, but there are no restrictions like in the past for girls to only wear skirts, and that too of a certain size. If these styles were accepted by societies in the past, I'm sure girls back then would have indulged in them.

And just like many, I took offense to the style of clothing and rape connection.
If a person wants to do something, he'll do it. Whether the girl is covered head to toe, or not.
I guess it was over some of yer heads. I wasn't making a connection between clothing and rape, but rather the interest of a middle age man on young peoples provocative dress Obviously though things like childrens thong panties (of which the mall rapist was especially fond of) go the route of further sexualizing children. If I was at a dinner party and a middle age man brought up and asked what's up with young womans butts hanging out of short shorts and cleavage exposed out of shirts, Yes, I would wonder what the real interest is?!

Last edited by gold*dust1; 11-03-2009 at 07:24 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,713,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I guess it was over some of yer heads. I wasn't making a connection between clothing and rape, but rather the interest of a middle age man on young peoples provocative dress Obviously though things like childrens thong panties (of which the mall rapist was especially fond of) go the route of further sexualizing children. If I was at a dinner party and a middle age man brought up and asked what's up with young womans butts hanging out of short shorts and cleavage exposed out of shirts, Yes, I would wonder what the real interest is?!
Look scaredy cat, as much as you want to make me out to be some psycho, I simply asked this....."Just like the title says, I'd like to know some of your thoughts and opinions on how women dress these days.".

As someone who is very common sense and practical, and someone who takes a lot of pride in my appearance and what it projects, and being someone who is looking forward to being a parent, I'm a bit shocked at how women of ANY age dress today. Get that? I work with the public. I often work with families. I am often left in disbelief at how younger women dress, particularly in the presence of their parents. Get that?

I think you must be a room mate of Pitt Transplant.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,671,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Just like the title says, I'd like to know some of your thoughts and opinions on how women dress these days. My general feeling is that I am amazed on a daily basis on what I see (literally), particularly with younger women from early teens through mid twenties.

I work with the public on a daily basis and see girls in groups together and with their families. I particularly find it hard to believe how parents allow their early teen girls dress, specifically in low cut tops showing cleavage and skirts and unbelievably short shorts.

I'd also like to from girls in this age group and what your thoughts are pertaining to what kind of reaction you expect by dressing in this manner, what input, if any your parents have on how you dress, and how you feel about the attention you get.

Disclaimer...........I am a happily married man with a beautiful wife, so don't take this as anything else other than a general interest in to the mentality of how and why women dress the way they do today. More than anything, I will turn 40 next year and am starting to feel that feeling where you kind of start shaking your head at the world around you, in disbelief.

Thanks for any friendly and insightful conversation.
I don't know about the girls or women and how they dress, but I am disgusted with the lack of tasteful clothes on the market. Take me back to the days of "Charlie's Angels" or "Dynasty." Most people do not have a body that does not need to be covered and I know very few women that can successfully wear a dress without sleeves.

I have always heard that the clothes show what the economy is like at that time. My opinion is that clothes cause the decline in the economy because I can't find anything I want to buy. Most compliments I get are when I wear things that have been in the closet for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty