Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think transition lenses are very convenient as one doesn't need to carry a pair of sunglasses around and for someone who is a bit older to combine that with progressive lenses.
I love my transitions. It takes a while for them to transition really fast once you go inside but I think it's worth the $$ now rather than paying for cataract surgery later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 04:51 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,370 times
With eyeglasses, I don't think people really notice the brand. Unless the brand name is somehow emblazoned on the frame, it's hard to tell with most.

I personally think that you should choose the pair that looks best on your face and is friendliest to your budget. If the Armani Exchange ones look basically the same as the Tag Heuer ones, I'd pick the former and save or spend the difference on something else. For that much money, you could probably get a nice looking pair of prescription sunglasses, too.

I have a "designer" pair that has to last me two years that is paid for by my insurance plan. If they break before I'm eligible to buy a new pair, I'd just go the zennioptical route. The markup that eyeglass brands put on designer eyeglasses is ridiculous.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:57 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,823 times
I'm not a big fashion person. But eyeglasses are right there on your face. You wear them everyday. Go with what looks the best if you can afford it. (I'm over 40 and have told the dh to buy me eyeglass frames over jewelry now for presents!!!) Have fun!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:22 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,867 times
I went with the Tags. I'm so shallow...

Rep points to all who said I should spend the extra money.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:09 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,541,391 times
To OP:

Go with Lindberg. I bought the style almost exactly like Lindberg 2121 /59(far upper-right hand corner) a couple of years ago. Very nice frameless pair!

LINDBERG

Old 10-31-2009, 02:13 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,765,406 times
Buy American!

Old 10-31-2009, 02:31 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,399 times
Gotta go big on this, glasses are something you wear all the time. When you divide the money you spend by every day, ie, $300 frames, /365 days a year, less than a $1 a day. Glasses can make or break your look. Don't go cheap, or you will look like the wal-mart crowd, which is okay, if that is where you are at. Not okay, if you work an important job, meet people for your work, and need to be on top of the game. You need to look a certian way. That is the way it is.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
So I'm trying to decide between two eyeglass frames that are similar in shape and size. One is by A|X (Armani Exchange). The other is by Tag Heuer, costs twice as much, and while similar to the A|X has some cool details that would indicate it's a more exclusive frame.

I'm curious as to thoughts on this. Does anyone notice or care about your frames, assuming they suit your face? Is the extra style worth the extra cost? I'm a married 36-y.o. guy with kids, and while I like to dress fashionably it's not like I'm frequenting the hipster bars any more or out looking to impress women. Thanks.
The lenses in the frames are much more important than the frames themselves. Spend the money on those. The frames should flatter your face and should be good enough quality to hold the lenses you pick without falling apart constantly.

The glasses I'm wearing are $400 glasses. The frame comprised only $60 of that.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:14 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,054,276 times
I always buy high-end/designer eyeglass frames. Gucci, Fendi, Armani, Versace, I've had quite a few of them besides Chanel, which is next on my list, since I've been wearing these Fendi frames for the past 3 1/2 years. You can find some steeply discounted frames, on-line, and then take them to your optometrist so that they can insert your prescription lenses.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:57 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Buy the cheap frames.

Have your kids watch you donate difference in the prices to the charity of your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty