Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:57 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times

Advertisements

I almost spent around $400 on one pair but went to Wal-Mart and paid around $200 something. I got Transitions lenses with them as well. In one store, the frames alone were $400. True they were Gucci but...eh....

I've gotten LOTS of compliments on my glasses.

It might be worth into looking at online glasses retailers. You just have to know what looks good on your face, the measurements, and all that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
The online eyeglasses option is definitely worth looking into. I'm tired of paying insanely high prices for glasses--my last pair, bought in 2006, cost $660. I recently got a pair online from Zennioptical.com that I'm very happy with for $100. This pair has progressive lenses and are photochromic. Single-vision lenses are a lot cheaper.

The OP could get designer-looking glasses for a low price.

As PurpleLove said, it helps to know what looks good on you. And you can measure an old pair of glasses to have an idea of what frames will fit your face. You need to get your PD (pupillary distance) measurement. I measured my own and that worked for me, but some people are more comfortable getting this from their eye doctors.

More info here: Glassy Eyes | Deals on Online Eyeglasses. Good eyeglasses. Cheap.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:30 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Armani isn't exactly cheap! I do think brand name frames have better styles. Although the cheap generic brands had similar styles, I got Armani frames because they just looked better. But I do draw the line at some point - frames twice as much as my Armani's? Not sure that's worth it.
I actually had originally picked out some Armani frames, but they ended up not working well with my prescription. The A|X line is considerably less than the Armani line, so while the Tag Heuers are twice the A|X, they're definitely not twice what Armanis cost.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:40 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I think transition lenses are very convenient as one doesn't need to carry a pair of sunglasses around and for someone who is a bit older to combine that with progressive lenses.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
So I'm trying to decide between two eyeglass frames that are similar in shape and size. One is by A|X (Armani Exchange). The other is by Tag Heuer, costs twice as much, and while similar to the A|X has some cool details that would indicate it's a more exclusive frame.

I'm curious as to thoughts on this. Does anyone notice or care about your frames, assuming they suit your face? Is the extra style worth the extra cost? I'm a married 36-y.o. guy with kids, and while I like to dress fashionably it's not like I'm frequenting the hipster bars any more or out looking to impress women. Thanks.
noone is going to say... omg... i cannot believe you didnt get x designer!
buy frames that fit your face... if you like em... who cares.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
noone is going to say... omg... i cannot believe you didnt get x designer!
buy frames that fit your face... if you like em... who cares.
That depends on where you are from and who you associate with. There are people will and do say things like that. Not that that is a reason to do something or not, just saying...those kinds of people DO exist.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
That depends on where you are from and who you associate with. There are people will and do say things like that. Not that that is a reason to do something or not, just saying...those kinds of people DO exist.
I know... which is SO sad. .. I've seen these people, met these people, I even have one as a good friend. I just want to give them gold stars becuase they are SO special. When they ask about where i get things and they go the route of "OMG, where did you find that adorable skirt"... I come up with the.. "from this great boutique downtown, she only gets in a few sizes and is working with up and coming designers"... they will never know...

Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I would go with whatever is more comfy on the face too. Who cares who says what.
What she said!

FWIW, I may take note if someone is wearing a specific brand of sunglasses that I'm familiar with, but it's not like I'll notice if it's not a specific brand. Does that make sense?

Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Oh, by the way--I got some of those polycarbonate lenses? Supposed to be shatter resistant? Those things WORK. I had someone poke me in the eye with a steel rod--well, it would have been my eye if I hadn't been wearing my glasses at the time. Hit the lens instead and scratched it--but glass would have shattered!

Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
My current frames are pricey Ralph Lauren (with ultra thin, lightweight lenses with the top of the line anti-glare) and I feel they were worth it, to the tune of $600 for finished glasses. The style of the frame really suits me, and I am very easy on my glasses compared to most people, so my frames last until they go totally out of style. I am also very sensitive to weight on the bridge of my nose, so getting super light frames is a big priority for me.

I didn't have a choice of a similar frame that was significantly cheaper, though. If I did, I would go with whichever one was more comfortable, regardless of price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty