Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:25 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,492,311 times

Advertisements

I am not a huge fan of most piercings....The only thing I think about is whether the person displaying the piercings is making a decision (at 18-24 in most cases I see) that will be difficult to change later on....Some piercings are really non-issues in that respect (they are either more socially accepted or the hole left would be tiny and mostly non noticible) so "whatever" ....but I do wonder about those huge holes in the ear....If, all of a sudden you need a job somewhere besides "Hot Topic" and you have holes in your earlobes the sized of quarters....then what? I will admit to feeling grateful that my kids do not find this attractive either....Other than that, it really isn't my concern.

ETA - it also depends on how the person handles it....My DS had a TEACHER with a pierced tongue a few years back in Middle School...when I went to "back to school night", I found it very distracting because he couldn't seem to hold a conversation or pause without playing with it; OTOH, I have a nephew whose wife has a pierced tongue and you would never notice it unless you happened to see it when she laughed or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 07:42 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,712,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I once had a boss tell me he would have hired the kid but when he was told to remove the face jewelry he would not even consider it . I cant believe these kids wont think about getting a decent job in a respectable environment unless they can have this face jewelry . It is getting to the point of ridiculous . I think it looks really bad as well and I want so bad to walk up to these kids and say do you want a decent job in a decent place ? if so remove the face jewelry because no decent place to work will hire you with that crap in your face .
But that's common sense and the kid didn't deserve the job. Simple. Employers have dress codes. And some amount of maturity is required...

In a professional or customer-service oriented environment, must look the part. Cover, remove, retain. Isn't discrimination any more than requiring uniform dress and a hygienic code. Should be no issue there. I did it more than once. What nose ring?

In a not-anywhere-near white collar setting, (modification is) of no bearing on the job performance unless eye stapling or digit reduction becomes trendy.

So the stubborn, short-sighted kid now probably stocks shelves during a graveyard shift or changes tires, while whining that the MAN is holding him down. Hey - somebody's gotta do it.

MM - that's my problem with tongue piercings...not that it's there (that to each their own thing) but that everyone I know who has one is always tinking with it! Not so great for the tooth enamel, either. I don't pick my nose or fidget with my ears, so please stop clicking that stud. Tongue IN the mouth. Thank you.

Stretched holes...yes, gotta realize that this is something that can't be faked...once down that path, no turning back. Well...could have the ear sutured...can glue closed temporarily with a non-toxic (sounds like fun?) or grow hair long enough to disguise it. Youth don't often think that far ahead, but life is for learning.

I didn't go that route until I knew I could, and how to hide it.

Last edited by 33458; 08-13-2009 at 07:58 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,373,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I am not a huge fan of most piercings....The only thing I think about is whether the person displaying the piercings is making a decision (at 18-24 in most cases I see) that will be difficult to change later on....Some piercings are really non-issues in that respect (they are either more socially accepted or the hole left would be tiny and mostly non noticible) so "whatever" ....but I do wonder about those huge holes in the ear....If, all of a sudden you need a job somewhere besides "Hot Topic" and you have holes in your earlobes the sized of quarters....then what? I will admit to feeling grateful that my kids do not find this attractive either....Other than that, it really isn't my concern.

ETA - it also depends on how the person handles it....My DS had a TEACHER with a pierced tongue a few years back in Middle School...when I went to "back to school night", I found it very distracting because he couldn't seem to hold a conversation or pause without playing with it; OTOH, I have a nephew whose wife has a pierced tongue and you would never notice it unless you happened to see it when she laughed or something.
Gauged ears (the giant holes in the lobes), can (if small enough) heal up a decent bit on their own. If they've been stretched considerably, the person can undergo surgery to repair their earlobes into an almost-normal state.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,745,242 times
Okay, here's some perspective from someone that has two piercings. I have my eyebrow and my tragus (cartilage between face and ear that covers ear hole, if that makes any sense) pierced, plus a written quote tattooed on my back (not usually visible).

Now, as we've seen here some people will make blanket generalizations based on piercings. However it's been my experience that this isn't typical. I'm a 29 year old female, graduate student, married, somewhat conservative in dress, respectful, and generally do not fit the "rebellious teenager" or "goth/punk subculture" stereotypes of people with piercings. How people perceive you has more to do with your overall appearance and attitude than anything else. My piercings are pretty inconspicuous and in the rare event someone comments on them I have the decorum to respond with a sense of humor and answer any questions they may have. I can't think of a single incident in which my colleagues, students, superiors, or anyone else has treated me differently based on piercings.

As far as getting a job with piercings, it's probably not as difficult as many of you think. In fact, it's my experience that low-end jobs like retail or restaurant work are more likely than white collar jobs to have rules against piercings. Many companies have no problem with piercings so long as you dress very polished, look otherwise "normal" and they aren't too noticeable. With piercings I have worked at a large consulting firm (with client contact), as a project manager at a high-end home builder (again, with client contact) and now as a Graduate Teacher's Assistant (teaching students). Piercings have been a non-issue for me as far as career advancement and opportunities.

If a prospective employer asked me to take them out, I would strongly consider it.... however, I am also skeptical of companies that have rules against piercings but don't mind if employees dress like casual slobs. Surely underwear hanging out of pants, exposed ungroomed toes, wrinkled clothes, and general slovenliness are more distracting in the office than my tiny ring and tiny eyebrow barbell.

As far as why I have them.... just because I like the way they look! I am lucky to have nicely arched and colored brows, the barbell complements them! The ear piercing is just something a little different and provides some interest because (oddly enough) my ears won't tolerate normal earrings. If I had gotten them "for attention" I'd be pretty disappointed since they don't garner much attention at all!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,722,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I once had a boss tell me he would have hired the kid but when he was told to remove the face jewelry he would not even consider it . I cant believe these kids wont think about getting a decent job in a respectable environment unless they can have this face jewelry . It is getting to the point of ridiculous . I think it looks really bad as well and I want so bad to walk up to these kids and say do you want a decent job in a decent place ? if so remove the face jewelry because no decent place to work will hire you with that crap in your face .
I've seen cases like this as well and even had friends who couldn't get hired because they refused to take out the piercings or even get retainers for them. I think if the jewelry isn't really noticeable then it shouldn't be such a big deal to some employers, but it is.

Future employment is one of the reasons I decided to get my labret pierced, rather than get the piercing to the side or something like most lip piercings. That, and when I take it out it won't be so visible in the shadow of my lip if it scars.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,712,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Okay, here's some perspective from someone that has two piercings. I have my eyebrow and my tragus (cartilage between face and ear that covers ear hole, if that makes any sense) pierced, plus a written quote tattooed on my back (not usually visible).

Now, as we've seen here some people will make blanket generalizations based on piercings. However it's been my experience that this isn't typical. I'm a 29 year old female, graduate student, married, somewhat conservative in dress, respectful, and generally do not fit the "rebellious teenager" or "goth/punk subculture" stereotypes of people with piercings. How people perceive you has more to do with your overall appearance and attitude than anything else. My piercings are pretty inconspicuous and in the rare event someone comments on them I have the decorum to respond with a sense of humor and answer any questions they may have. I can't think of a single incident in which my colleagues, students, superiors, or anyone else has treated me differently based on piercings.

As far as getting a job with piercings, it's probably not as difficult as many of you think. In fact, it's my experience that low-end jobs like retail or restaurant work are more likely than white collar jobs to have rules against piercings. Many companies have no problem with piercings so long as you dress very polished, look otherwise "normal" and they aren't too noticeable. With piercings I have worked at a large consulting firm (with client contact), as a project manager at a high-end home builder (again, with client contact) and now as a Graduate Teacher's Assistant (teaching students). Piercings have been a non-issue for me as far as career advancement and opportunities.

If a prospective employer asked me to take them out, I would strongly consider it.... however, I am also skeptical of companies that have rules against piercings but don't mind if employees dress like casual slobs. Surely underwear hanging out of pants, exposed ungroomed toes, wrinkled clothes, and general slovenliness are more distracting in the office than my tiny ring and tiny eyebrow barbell.

As far as why I have them.... just because I like the way they look! I am lucky to have nicely arched and colored brows, the barbell complements them! The ear piercing is just something a little different and provides some interest because (oddly enough) my ears won't tolerate normal earrings. If I had gotten them "for attention" I'd be pretty disappointed since they don't garner much attention at all!

It all depends on the company...

Low-end:

Starbucks used to require piercings be removed (management and staff) but now apparently looser with the rule.

Walmart and Target now employ pierced and tattooed personal. This seems recent.

Restaurants will factor in the image they wish to project...urban and hip, they might - might - consider certain piercings but others could still be argued as against the health code (dangling, "loose" parts, etc...the criteria used to set a standard).

In para-professional postitions, I have never been allowed to wear noticible facial jewelry and earrings were always requested to be 'minimal'. Retail management and RX are not keen on such decor. I was able to wear my nose stud when I worked for an institutional provider but not a public pharmacy.

Husband is a Rocket Scientist. That's bleached and starched white collar...except that they actually have a rather informal dress code nowadays. I wonder if anybody owns a suit?
However, many of the corporations he interacts with or might consider as prospective employers do not appreciate such visible body modifications and in some instances MUST be removed for safety reasons.
He has well over 20 years with the company so he's got an edge (and resume) where-as a new hire might be asked to tone it down or take it out, period.
And while determining where we would relocate and how, he was fully prepared to bust out the long-sleeves everyday and remove/retain for the sake of a professional appearance.

If you have to, you have to...if you don't...that's a bonus.

Last edited by 33458; 08-13-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,650,020 times
I have never had the longing to have anything pierced but my ears! I really don't see the appeal, but to each his own, I guess!

I do have a friend that has her nose pierced with a really small diamond and it looks nice.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:39 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,656,904 times
I have a nose piercing, my monroe done, tragus (tragi?) done on both ears and my ears used to be stretched to 00 gauge, but are now down to about 6g, about as big as a pencil. I also have a sleeve of tattoos nearly done (which goes down just below my wrist bone).

I work at a corporate private jet company and have never gotten more compliments on my piercings/tattoos. I know it's more of an exception to the rule, but when I worked as an auto mechanic I wasn't even allowed to show a tattoo OR my ear piercings (back when they were regular size, before stretching). But they don't mind at all at my current workplace....

I would never get my tongue or eyebrow pierced (both are tacky, imo) but I see nothing wrong with the others, but can definitely see why people do. Tattoos and piercings aren't for everyone... but I happen to like them.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:40 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
adds a new dimension to "dont give me any of your lip".

Old 08-14-2009, 08:32 PM

914 posts, read 4,448,106 times
I don't think piercings are necessarily a cry for attention. I mean, maybe for some people, especially younger people. But I got all my non-lobe piercings in college or later because . . . I wanted to. It has nothing to do with how I want/expect other people to perceive me.

I do usually take my nose peircing out for job interviews. Then, when I get a job, I ask if I can wear it. It is always against the dress code- but I almost always get a "yes". (And if I get a "no" I take it out when I get there.) I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I am a very professional dresser. I think I get away with my nose stud because I still look more professional than most of my co-workers. Personally, I don't think it is that big a deal. And I don't understand people who do. It is no more guady than someone with giant gold hoops in their ears. Frankly, I think it is a lot less unattractive that the "suitable" jewlery a lot of other people wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty