Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 AM

159 posts, read 317,068 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have had a nose piercing for about 9 months now, and I'm pretty fond of it, not going to lie. I'm an undergrad student pursuing a career that is generally accepting for tattoos and piercings, and every job/internship I've had up until now has been indifferent.

Now I've been interviewing with a few places for a part time job(chains, franchises, just stuff to hold a poor college kid over) and I'm pretty positive I'll be asked to remove it. If I take it out a few hours a day(and of course remember to clean it) and then replace it immediately afterwards, what are the chances of it closing up?

Also, I generally attend interviews with my ring in place(professional attire, otherwise) and agree to comply with dress codes, would it be better if I simply removed it? I've got an interview at Starbucks that I'm pondering about. I'm more inclined to wait until they ask me to take it out, but I would love to hear opinions.

I have no tattoos and only my earlobes pierced otherwise, if that happens to be relevant at all .

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
I've worked in very conservative offices (banks, corp conglomerates, etc) and it has always been acceptable to have a stud in your nose piercing. I am assuming that your nose piercing is not a septum piercing.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:20 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Some Indian chicks have permanent nose piercings from the age of 5 So who cares

Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Take it out for interviews too. They go over dress codes after you are hired. They make retainers for the hole:

Amazon.com: Clear 18G Bio Flex Flat Head Nose Piercing Retainer - Sold as a Pair: Jewelry

If its a septum piece you can buy a horseshoe and flip it up inside your nose and you can't see it at all.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Some Indian chicks have permanent nose piercings from the age of 5 So who cares
The OP is in Philadelphia, not in India. What is acceptable in India may not be acceptable here. This is due to a cultural difference between two nations. One nation may culturally find it acceptable to have nose piercings at 5 years old, while another may not even find it acceptable at 25 years old in a corporate office.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The OP is in Philadelphia, not in India. What is acceptable in India may not be acceptable here. This is due to a cultural difference between two nations. One nation may culturally find it acceptable to have nose piercings at 5 years old, while another may not even find it acceptable at 25 years old in a corporate office.

It's worth noting though, that I am 19 and applying at..coffee shops haha.
Still, I could argue piercing and tattoo acceptance in the workplace 'till the cows come home - but right now I am broke, and my desire for some miniscule amount of income trumps personal expression, sadly(I told myself that would never happen back when my parents payed for everything and I wasn't living off of applesauce and ramen LOL)
It is not a septum piercing, I'm glad to see there are retainers, I'm definitely going to purchase one, thankyou!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:46 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
Take the stupid thing out of your nose and get a job.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydivers-in-reverse View Post
It's worth noting though, that I am 19 and applying at..coffee shops haha.
Still, I could argue piercing and tattoo acceptance in the workplace 'till the cows come home - but right now I am broke, and my desire for some miniscule amount of income trumps personal expression, sadly(I told myself that would never happen back when my parents payed for everything and I wasn't living off of applesauce and ramen LOL)
It is not a septum piercing, I'm glad to see there are retainers, I'm definitely going to purchase one, thankyou!
Go for it. Honestly, for a coffee shop, I doubt it will be a problem. I go to Starbucks everyday and see all sorts of different expressions there including rainbow hair, (non-gross) piercings and tattoos. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Take the stupid thing out of your nose and get a job.

Wow, that was extremely insightful and helpful with a vague implication that I'm lazy and can't or haven't held jobs.

I have a job running lights at a nightclub on Fridays and Saturdays, this past summer, I spent the rest of the week fulfilling an internship that was 40+ hours a week and living off a microscopic stipend, unfortunately now that school has come and I'm spending most of my days in classes, I cannot keep this internship throughout the school year - so please don't patronize me. I have only worked as a lighting technician for theatre and events(and, well, babysat), where piercings and tattoos are irrelevant, to say the least.

EDIT:
Quote:
Go for it. Honestly, for a coffee shop, I doubt it will be a problem. I go to Starbucks everyday and see all sorts of different expressions there including rainbow hair, (non-gross) piercings and tattoos. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Thanks so much for your input! It's nice to know that there are retainers available. If worst comes to worst I'll invest in one =].

Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Who gives a fig about where the OP is

I know Indian women working in TD Ameritrade, Goldman and a classmate of mine in GE. They all have their nose pierced. And no, they weren't required to give a cultural explanation.

Unless the employer is living in an Afghan tent, nobody is bothered what the woman does with her nose as far as it does not look gross like Marilyn Manson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty