Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:58 AM

64 posts, read 185,560 times

Advertisements

Looking for something that is comfortable and looks halfway decent (not too geeky). I've tried the flip flops but don't find them comfortable....especially after a lot of walking. There are so many different kinds and styles these days that I don't even know where to start looking. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
Have you tried Teva, Birks, or Bacco Bucci?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
I find that for a lot of walking in sandals, nothing beats the Keen Newport and Venice series. I have others, and even flip-flops, but the construction of the Keen footbed seems to be the best for wearability all day. If you want something with an open toe, Keen has a Daytona in brown leather that's also very comfortable. Tevas are also pretty good, for the most part, and I will wear them as well, but for an all day level of comfort, I prefer Keen.

Edit: I also like Mephiston and Finn, though they can look a tad more geeky than a sport sandal. And, for something slightly dressier, Cole Haan has some good choices.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Have you tried Teva, Birks, or Bacco Bucci?
I don't really care for the way that the Birks look although I've looked at Teva. Would you recommend a pair with straps like this one:

Open Toachi – Men’s Sport Sandals – High Performance Men’s Water Sandals – Teva

Or something like this (without the heel strap)

Sutter Creek - Men’s Leather Sandals - Men’s Sandals – Casual Sandals - Teva

Old 06-25-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I find that for a lot of walking in sandals, nothing beats the Keen Newport and Venice series. I have others, and even flip-flops, but the construction of the Keen footbed seems to be the best for wearability all day. If you want something with an open toe, Keen has a Daytona in brown leather that's also very comfortable. Tevas are also pretty good, for the most part, and I will wear them as well, but for an all day level of comfort, I prefer Keen.

Edit: I also like Mephiston and Finn, though they can look a tad more geeky than a sport sandal. And, for something slightly dressier, Cole Haan has some good choices.
Wow the Keens are really pricey. Are they worth it? They look kinda funny but maybe it is just me. Thanks for the other suggestions.

How many pair of sandals do you have? I might have to buy a couple of different pairs since there are so many different varieties..

Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 PM

What do you all think of these?

SKECHERS Official Shoe Store | Men's All Shoes | August - Proper

Look like they might be comfortable but I don't see too many guys my age (30) wearing them....

Old 06-26-2009, 10:55 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus0123 View Post
Wow the Keens are really pricey. Are they worth it? They look kinda funny but maybe it is just me. Thanks for the other suggestions.

How many pair of sandals do you have? I might have to buy a couple of different pairs since there are so many different varieties..
Keen are well worth the money, IMO. I have a few pairs of sandals, perhaps 8-10. Yes, I'd definitely buy a couple of pairs of them, perhaps a sport sandal and a "dressier" leather sandal. The one thing about Keen is that the covered toe models can really save you if you're wearing sandals outdoors or to do things for whcih you'd normally wear sneakers.

Those are pretty good looking Sketcher sandals, the August model -- a mixture of a traditional sandal look, but with a composite sole for traction. A leather sole will make the sandal dressier, but those are close enough that you could even wear them to a slightly dressier occassion without a problem.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:00 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,979 times
My husband buys Keen, Merrills, Tommy Bahama sandals. The sell quality, comfortable and great looking shoes.
He also swears by the Walking Company for many of his shoes and insoles.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,058 times
Keens are very comfortable and tend to hold up pretty well. The only people that don't usually find them comfy are if you have a high-volume foot (meaning your foot is tall/thick). Personally I've never liked the look of the toe, but that's just me, I would still buy them just for the comfort!

If you are looking for the "Teva style" strappy sandals, I would recommend Chaco simply because they have less seams that rub, can be re-soled, and have better arch support.
Chaco > Home

Merrel is okay if you want dressier looking sandals (well, sort of dressy). They aren't as durable for constant wear and for sport sandals you're better off with the other brands mentioned.
Merrell | Store | Men | Footwear

Old 06-27-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Keen are well worth the money, IMO. I have a few pairs of sandals, perhaps 8-10. Yes, I'd definitely buy a couple of pairs of them, perhaps a sport sandal and a "dressier" leather sandal. The one thing about Keen is that the covered toe models can really save you if you're wearing sandals outdoors or to do things for whcih you'd normally wear sneakers.

Those are pretty good looking Sketcher sandals, the August model -- a mixture of a traditional sandal look, but with a composite sole for traction. A leather sole will make the sandal dressier, but those are close enough that you could even wear them to a slightly dressier occassion without a problem.
I did some shoe shopping today. Went to a mall, outlet mall, and shoe stores. I could not find Keens anywhere....although I did pickup this pair of Teva's for under $50.

Teva Spoiler Classic at Zappos.com (http://www.zappos.com/product/7373827/color/20 - broken link)

They seem to be pretty comfortable and have some arch support.

I am going to buy another pair or two. What do you all think of this leather slide? Never thought I'd consider a Dr. Scholl's product but I tried these on and they seemed comfortable.

Dr. Scholl's Brown Men's Miami Shoe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty