Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 07:29 PM

37,639 posts, read 46,045,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I don't think that was really the point he was trying to get across.(;>)
Then I certainly missed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 11:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't believe anyone intended their remarks be directed at someone with a medical condition. I think the motorized chairs are great, for those people that need them such as your wife. But I also believe that they are mostly used by people that would benefit more by walking. Most would agree that Walmart, when it comes to people-watching, can be a freak show.
The difference I see with Walmart and other stores with the carts is Walmart has more of them available. I would never presume that someone using it should not be. How can you tell? A good friend of mine is very overweight and you might think she should walk. But the condition is the result of a stroke and she has severe balance problems. So your presumption would be wrong. I suspect that other stores would have extra carts in use if they were provided. The problem with saying the remarks were not directed at someone with a medical condition is that you can't just look and tell if there is one. So making presumptions on what you see is not reasonable or fair.

I go to Walmart all the time and did so in California too. People dress casually. Maybe some of it may be too casual for some people but everyone has a right to decide that for themselves. Personally the things that bother me upon occasion in Walmart and a lot of other stores is kids running amok and the like. I really don't care how mom is dressed if she or dad is paying attention to the kid who nearly ran into me.

I'm sure there is something about ALL of us and the what we wear to Walmart that irks someone else. But its really none of their business. People need to learn to mind their own business and let everyone else do the same.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:37 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,547,446 times
You can't see spinal problems unless you know exactly what to look for. When my wife is walking or sitting, you can't see the source of her medical problems. Can you see a knee or hip replacement? What I can see is the multiple surgical scars running from my wife's neck down to her tailbone.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:59 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,939,081 times
What to wear at Wallmart is ludicrous...change the store name to any of choice...could be Macys.

To look at a person...there is NO way of knowing their physical medical problem.

A person could be healthy looking but have a BAD heart (knew a young gal with a permanent handicap DMV card)...you never can know for sure.

When looking at a car with a handicap green card in the rear view mirror...never pass judgement on the drivers appearance. Doctors do not sign a paper to the DMV without good cause.

A yr ago I had spinal surgery and my right leg has still not healed correctly and will buckle after wailking 15-30 ft and as a result have a cane for walking assistence.

Posts have gotten a litlle off regarding the OP post.

Things are slightly related depending on a point of view...clothing...motorizd wheel chair supplied by mgmt...customers are all a mishmass (sp) and very educational in appearence...NO big deal.

Steve

Old 09-05-2009, 03:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If you don't care how you present yourself to others, then it's certainly not their problem.
Why should I put forth my best image? I'm not trying to meet people for a date--although maybe Wal-Marting might make for a good date. Who knows.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:40 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,703,331 times
I suppose it is just odd that in Macys I don't see many people driving scooters but I see lots of people driving scooters in Walmart. Just a point to ponder.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:54 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,344,858 times
What I regularly wear, a T-Shirt with jeans/shorts and matching sneakers .

Old 09-05-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I suppose it is just odd that in Macys I don't see many people driving scooters but I see lots of people driving scooters in Walmart. Just a point to ponder.
Perhaps it's because many of the people in Walmart on the scooters are living on disability and can't afford to shop at Macys.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:33 PM

I went to Walmart today. I love looking at cars. I'm always amazed at the variety of cars in a Walmart parking lot. They range from beat up clunkers all the way up to BMW, Audi, Caddy, Mercedes, Saab, Volvo, Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus. There is an advantage of buying some clothes from Walmart. You have a young kid and you need a dress outfit for a special occasion. The kid is at an age in which he/she's growing like a weed and the outfit may not be worn again ever. Why spend a fortune on top quality outfit when you can get a nice looking outfit for a good price and who cares if he gets it dirty when he plays right after the special event. If it survives the washing and he outgrows it, you can pass it on or donate it to charity. Same thing with children's shoes. I honestly don't buy my shoes at Walmart. I have foot problems so I get New Balance, most of their shoes are made in the USA. If you can find an authorized dealer, pay the extra money for the $100+ New Balance shoes. Your feet and back will thank you.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:46 PM

862 posts, read 1,643,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'm sure there is something about ALL of us and the what we wear to Walmart that irks someone else. But its really none of their business. People need to learn to mind their own business and let everyone else do the same.
AMEN!

I remember last year when my aunt and cousin came to visit. My aunt forgot to bring a pair of jeans. So she ran to Wal-Mart and bought a pair. No biggy. They looked good on her. She said they fit the best she's had in a long time. And oh yeah they only cost $14.99!

My cousin continued to ridicule her and turn her nose up that she was glad she knew nobody around as she wouldn't want any of her friends to see her mom in jeans purchased at Wal-Mart. This went on all day. Finally, when I was sick of it and my aunt was almost in tears, I let my cousin know that her $134.00 whatever brand jeans - I don't remember - looked EXACTLY like the cheap $10 Rustler's you can find in the men's department at KMart. She didn't believe me, so we ran to KMart and I showed her. She didn't say much about anything after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty