Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 02:11 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,211,018 times

Advertisements

I work from home some of the time, in the office some of the time. We are officially "business casual", but I decided I had gotten a little too casual (and I missed pretty clothes and playing "dress up" at least once in a while!), so it was time to reinvent myself and invest in a decent work wardrobe.

I refuse to invest a fortune in work clothing. Handbags and shoes-I will spend a lot on. Simply: they fit whether you go up or down 20 pounds. They always look good. You don't have to take them to the drycleaners once a week. Clothes are a different story.

And I dread shopping for clothes. I love LOOKING at clothes-no problem. But trying them on and matching outfits just takes absolutely forever. So I avoid it as much as possible. I have fitting-room-phobia. Or if I try something on and it fits-I buy the exact same thing.....in 4 colors and get out of the store as quickly as possible.

I am not sure if this is just a symptom of the overall economy and brutal state of retail, or a testament to just how much they mark-up clothing to begin with. But....

My first scores were at Nordstrom Rack. An Ann Klein suit, an Ann Klein jacket and a pair of Michael Kors pants. Had I paid full retail: $750! My score:....$145 plus tax. And I thought I was off to a good start. Note carefully just those 3 items took about...2 hours of trying on dozens of items, getting pushed and shoved in the line to the fitting rooms, having my cart stolen once while I was looking around....and general angst getting run over by crazy folks with shopping carts lol! (Note to self: avoid that place on Saturday morning it is a zoo...) But I pressed on.

Then I went to the regular "mall". I went into JCPenney. Talk about a sale! Stuff was dirt cheap. We are talking dress pants for $7 cheap! This I could definitely justify for a work wardrobe.

And to go with a work wardrobe of course, you need work shoes. Not flip flops or funky sandals or fashion statements for the feet (which I have lots of)-real regular basic boring shoes (which I had none of). My sum total in the shoe department. Before tax for 3 pairs of nice leather shoes.....$23.91. You saved: $159.09!

I did even better in clothing. Before tax for way too numerous shirts, jackets, sweaters and pants: $170.19. You saved.....$1,018.13!!!!!! I have entire brand new wardrobe including shoes that can be mixed and matched. For less than half the regular retail price of that Ann Klein suit.

And now I won't have to go shopping again for at least...another year! lol!!!

Last edited by ivanabacowboy; 02-15-2009 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 09:48 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
Awesome, but I can't go more than a few days without retail therapy.

I shop Salvation Army and Marshalls. I get great deals and also pull together sharp outfits.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:10 PM

515 posts, read 1,331,047 times
I love Nordstrom Rack. Earlier this year I bought 3 jackets for 75.00 for all of them!

I came back home and the exact same jacket was 81.00

Old 02-16-2009, 02:35 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,237,332 times
I think this is a great time for everyone to add to their wardrobe with at least a few good basic items that they can use for a long time.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,275,900 times
I KNOW! I am so glad I didn't go BS crazy with shopping pre-xmas. I haven't been buying good keeper things so it NUTS what I am finding price wise. I got a everyday reg 40$ sweater for 3 bucks!And a 34$ sue devitt (sp?) makeup pallet for 5$!

Old 02-18-2009, 12:16 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,631,922 times
I LOVE sales shopping!

It boggles my mind that there are people that WILLINGLY pay full price, lol!

I don't think I have paid full price for anything (clothes wise) in 10 yrs or more, lol.

My best score? $15 for a authentic LV wallet at a church garage sale.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:17 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
I shop eBay and thrift shops for my deals. Not that I need to buy clothes ever again. lol

Old 02-18-2009, 04:59 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,814,354 times
First off: IGNORE the Suggested Retail Price, most items are seldom if ever sold at that price.

Instead of thinking you got such-and-such off such-and-such - look at shopping as: I got Item X for XX dollars, that's a good price I think, the least I've ever seen similar is XX dollars so I made out.

Hope that makes sense. If something has a tag that says originally (for example) - $250, and you paid "only" $100 - it's only a deal if the item is indeed worth $100.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,814,354 times
Too late to edit, but this really should be in the Shopping Thread.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,751,115 times
Hey Gals, as a former Ex Crossdresser I am an expert in buying skirt suits! The deals are everywhere! Gotta brand new with tags $300[?] Ann Taylor size 2 skirt suit I fit from Salvation Army! - Overstock that didn't sell or what? Then ebay, thrift, and new in stores! My favorite place for nice cost effective skirt suits - MACY'S! But I never buy from online or catalog stuff - they've often been low quality rip off material.

Now, my gigantic beautiful skirt suit collection will go to a size 4 to 6 woman I love and find!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty