Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is more expensive make-up worth the money?
Yes 34 56.67%
No 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:44 PM

7 posts, read 113,388 times

Advertisements

I have always used cheapo make-up brands, like Revlon, Cover Girl, Almay, Maybelline, etc. Do the better brands--Este Lauder, Clinque, MAC, & so forth--truly result in a prettier look? If so, can you explain why you love the more expensive brands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 06:15 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,048,675 times
i have tried MAC and definitely agree that their lipsticks and eye shadows stay on all day

Old 11-08-2008, 07:14 PM

718 posts, read 2,362,238 times
I have wore it all and never thought I would find something better than MAC- but Bare Escentuals is the best thing ever! I have always had oily skin until I started wearing their foundation. My skin has totally transformed and you never feel like you have on makeup. And it lasts forever!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:40 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,794,196 times
I think you can't beat Avon for price and quality.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:53 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,277,733 times
The colors look richer, more real life than plastic one layer tint. You can see multiple layers of color in a higher grade. Staying power majorly affected.
Its hard to go back to drugstore once you buy higher end.
Especially if your products give you problems like breakouts/rashes, color turning/fades

One thing I really like about Mac lipstick is that it makes a good lipstick and stain for gloss. There is so much pigment in the lipstick 2-3 taps + your gloos/chapstick looks like a colored gloss!
So I know myself I use a lot less of "good stuff" usually.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:22 PM

79 posts, read 320,008 times
I wear everyday minerals and it is really good. The prices are reasonable and you can even try a sample kit for free and you pick the colors you want. Check it out: www.everdayminerals.com I just bought some more 2 weeks ago and I got it in 2 days after ordering. It was fast and I been wearing the stuff a couple of years now. I bought there cosmetic wipes also to try and there great.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:59 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,277,733 times
I think no matter what makeup your do the mineral versions of black and brown are the best colors for a natural brow powder. Nothing else has just the right tone that I have tried.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:11 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,408,694 times
It varies for me and I won't use just one type or brand exclusively.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:43 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,278,502 times
I have a few products that I swear by; i.e., I really like mineral products and Bare Escentuals are my favorite but I have also tried and like the much cheaper version, NYC found at drugstores. I also LOVE and must have a base tinted cream, called Apricot Complexion Enhancer made by Agnes B. I am a middle aged woman with rather sallow skin and this product really warms up my face and makes it glow. I use to order it from a company called Createurs de Beaute, but they no longer can sell to the U.S. so now I am forced to pay $36 plus s/h for a product that used to cost me $20 - but it is well worth it. For eyeliner, I have tried many more expensive brands but prefer a very cheap cake eyeliner by Fran Wilson - easiest and stays on the best for me. For mascara, I go cheap - whatever is on sale. I don't want my eyelashes that long or they brush up against my glasses! Dermalogica makes a wonderful lip balm but I think it is just too expensive and doesn't last very long. So I usually buy Sally Hanson, which is an inexpensive alternative. For lip color, I'm fine with Revlon or Target's Botanic brand. I've tried MAC, but can live without it. I do like MAC eyeshadows. Cosmetics are fun and I am a sucker to try new things but it sure can add up quickly, so I am glad I have found at least a few tried and true products that I am happy with!

Old 11-12-2008, 01:34 AM

67 posts, read 305,042 times
It depends. I'm a make-up fanatic so I've tried a lot brands and sometimes the cheapy ones are the best. For example, I find NYC eyeliner to be pretty fantastic and that stuff only costs $1 whereas I've bought Lancome eyeliner for $28 and it rubbed off almost instantly. I find if you splurge more on the basics like a great skincare system and a reliable foundation that you can fudge it a little bit with the details.

I switch between Proactiv and Clinique Skincare and Bare Essentials for foundation and, for the most part, I go outside with just a sweep of Mineral Veil and some lip gloss and look pretty fantastic. I definitely couldn't do that when I was using drugstore skincare. I'm pretty subtle in my everyday makeup so I just use the aforementioned Bare Essentials Mineral Veil and either Burt's Bees or Bonne Bell lip balm; I'll throw on some NYC eyeliner and Maybelline (Volum' Express) mascara if I feel like looking a little more polished. If I'm going out at night and want some showstopper makeup, I'll add some MAC or Urban Decay eyeshadow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty