Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is more expensive make-up worth the money?
Yes 34 56.67%
No 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:34 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,139,589 times

Advertisements

It varies for me too. But, I always use Maybelline cheapo Great Lash mascara and Bare Escentuals. I switch between Mary Kay, Clinique and Avon for facials cleansers and moisturizers, but on a tip from a website I purchased Kiss My Face Olive Oil and Aloe moisterizer and it's pretty amazing. And really inexpensive.

A few months ago, I went off with friends to a concert and somehow my makeup bag didn't make it with me so I ran to the drugstore and grabbed a bottle of Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer. I liked the way it felt and it's more like tinted sunscreen so I kept using it. I've had couple of Melasma spots from pregnancy for years and suddenly they are gone! I credit the Neutrogena and I'm a happy happy girl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 08:26 AM

105 posts, read 683,244 times
Default Minerals Are Worth the $$

I usually wear a light powder foundation, minimal eye shadow, mascara and some lip gloss. Less is better for me when it comes to make-up because I have no skills with that sort of stuff and when I try to go "sexy" or "dramatic" with my make up, I usually end up with "circus clown" or "hooker".

I used to go with the cheapo CoverGirl stuff when it came to the face powder, but back in April I switched to Bare Minerals (got the starter pack with the powder foundation, mineral veil and all over warmth powder). Since switching I am less shiny, my pores appear smaller and my skin feels so much softer. I never realized how horrible the CG stuff was for my skin. I always had a "powdered" look with the cheapo stuff, when I wear the mineral stuff- you can hardly tell I have it on at all, it looks way more natural. It is well worth the money, when it comes to foundation, I'll never go back to cheapo....

..But, I still go cheapo with the eye and lip stuff.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:26 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,312,811 times
For mascara, the drugstore brands to me seem just about as good. I have used Clinique pretty much exclusively for foundation. I like what they have a little better. I also like Clinique lipsticks, but I also like Revlon's.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:20 AM

926 posts, read 2,753,274 times
It depends on the product and brand. My Dior Blackout mascara is waaaay better than my Maybelene. But my ELF eyeshadow is the same quality if not better than my Clinque. Vicky Secrets is the mid grade and I havent gone wrong with their blushes and lip glosses...

Old 11-13-2008, 01:39 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,327,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
It depends on the product and brand. My Dior Blackout mascara is waaaay better than my Maybelene. But my ELF eyeshadow is the same quality if not better than my Clinque. Vicky Secrets is the mid grade and I havent gone wrong with their blushes and lip glosses...
I wanted to try the blackout and saw mixed reviews. Do you have any problems with it? Are your eyes sensitive? I have only used clinique and almay so far as cheapo others burned my eyes as if I pour salt strait in the sockets.
I would be pretty ticked if I spend over 20$ on a mascara that did the same.
Anyway///hope you check back to let me know!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:51 PM

926 posts, read 2,753,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I wanted to try the blackout and saw mixed reviews. Do you have any problems with it? Are your eyes sensitive? I have only used clinique and almay so far as cheapo others burned my eyes as if I pour salt strait in the sockets.
I would be pretty ticked if I spend over 20$ on a mascara that did the same.
Anyway///hope you check back to let me know!
No I have no problems, I love it! It found lashes I didnt even know I had!!!! My eyes look awsome and even if I forget to take it off at night, the next day they still look awesome! My eyes are sensitive but only to eye shadow. Try it at Sephora or the Dior counter and if the next day you feel ok I highly recommend you buy it

Old 11-13-2008, 01:56 PM

111 posts, read 287,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaxseedgirl View Post
I have always used cheapo make-up brands, like Revlon, Cover Girl, Almay, Maybelline, etc. Do the better brands--Este Lauder, Clinque, MAC, & so forth--truly result in a prettier look? If so, can you explain why you love the more expensive brands?
I use to do the same thing...until I got turned on to MAC and Merle Norman makeup by a friend. I was really missing out...its not so much the eye makeup but the foundation is REALLY different with the more expensive brands. Its just much better, it goes on better, looks like satin, the colors match better and it seems to cover better. I use expensive blush and foundation and use Cover Girl eyeliner and mascara. Not to ring my own bell (but Im going to) I get compliments on my make up all the time. Same thing with cheapo sunglasses! I use to only wear cheap ones until my husband bought me my first pair of Boles. MUCH better!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:59 PM

13,417 posts, read 28,825,813 times
I voted yes but wished you had a "sometimes" because sometimes depending on what you're buying it's worth the extra$$ and sometimes it isn't

Old 11-13-2008, 02:00 PM

111 posts, read 287,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
It varies for me too. But, I always use Maybelline cheapo Great Lash mascara and Bare Escentuals. I switch between Mary Kay, Clinique and Avon for facials cleansers and moisturizers, but on a tip from a website I purchased Kiss My Face Olive Oil and Aloe moisterizer and it's pretty amazing. And really inexpensive.

A few months ago, I went off with friends to a concert and somehow my makeup bag didn't make it with me so I ran to the drugstore and grabbed a bottle of Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer. I liked the way it felt and it's more like tinted sunscreen so I kept using it. I've had couple of Melasma spots from pregnancy for years and suddenly they are gone! I credit the Neutrogena and I'm a happy happy girl!
I have always used Neutrogena's skin car line (fantastic) and I tried their new free radicals night cream a few weeks ago....that stuff is great. I had a small sunspot on my face from prior sun damage and its almost gone!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:45 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,437,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
It depends on the product and brand. My Dior Blackout mascara is waaaay better than my Maybelene...
I wish Dior would bring back MaximEyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty