Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I love that sweater!!! (I can't believe I actually ADMIT this stuff!)
I think it is adorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,281,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think it is adorable.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:08 PM

730 posts, read 2,889,769 times
My grandma wears stuff like that sometimes. I think people who wear this type of thing don't care what other people think or if it is unfashionable. I think they wear it to be festive and put a smile on someones face.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:53 PM

Ok, let's have it... I just would like to know exactly WHEN and HOW holiday sweaters fell out of people's good graces!

I'm old (53 years!) I don't watch television. And I'm certainly no fashionista, but I do read books and magazines, obviously forums, work in and with the public and I do get out and about to some extent! I just don't remember some edict from on high stating that holiday sweaters were officially "unfashionable." When and how did this occur? Inquiring minds want to know!!! Who made this rule and why didn't I get the e-mail about it????

Old 11-20-2008, 03:08 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,266,104 times
No, Kaykay, it is a matter of preference! There is no right or wrong, just preference! And I am sure you have the creme de la creme of theme sweaters

Old 11-20-2008, 03:56 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,249,764 times
It is usually too warm on Christmas in Florida to sport a sweater, but I should look for a themed T-shirt and humiliate my kids.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Ok, let's have it... I just would like to know exactly WHEN and HOW holiday sweaters fell out of people's good graces!

I'm old (53 years!) I don't watch television. And I'm certainly no fashionista, but I do read books and magazines, obviously forums, work in and with the public and I do get out and about to some extent! I just don't remember some edict from on high stating that holiday sweaters were officially "unfashionable." When and how did this occur? Inquiring minds want to know!!! Who made this rule and why didn't I get the e-mail about it????
Well, I am your age, KayKay and I didn't get the memo, either. Well, that is not exactly right. Of course, I have seen some hideous and even laughable sweaters (actually - the worst things I have seen were more like sweatshirts that had been decorated!!!) And then I happened to catch an Oprah episode in the last year or two - and she was pontificating about how tacky and atrocious "theme" sweaters are . . . But you know what? My kids always LOVED my sweaters . . . and I wore the stuff to be festive.

And yes, I even have a HALLOWEEN SWEATER!!! It is PURPLE!!! And it has little orange jackolanterns on it!!! HA HA HA!!! And little black bats!!!! And it was not inexpensive either - hand knit.

I didn't dig it out this year . . . but when I do wear it, if people are snickering behind my back, they are very quiet about it . . . cause I have had people stop me and ask me where I got it and one lady asked to take a picture of it w/ her cell phone in hopes she could copy some of the motifs on it, Hee Hee Hee. Now maybe she was secretly taking a picture of it to post on a website where people were voting on the MOST HIDEOUS THEME SWEATER!!!

Anyway . . . I have a beautiful new black sweater w/ crystal snowflakes on it to wear this year . . . and I went back to the guest closet to check it out the other day, thinking (after reading this thread) . . . maybe this is tacky . . . and I pulled it out and I LOVE IT!!!! I will wear it Christmas Day. I have a pair of black wool slacks, a white cashmere mock T-neck and pearl earrings w/ diamond jackets that I will put with it . . . and I will feel very FESTIVE and my family will like it, LOL. And my mother will say to me "Now, when you get tired of that, I want it" as I give her all my sweaters when I decide to let them go . . . She will doubtless be there wearing one of my sweaters from Christmases Past!!!

And our pictures will be of all the females in our family, wearing our Christmas sweaters (or vests) . . . and if our grandkids dig out the pictures some day and roll on the floor w/ laughter, what the heck. It was all in good fun, anyway!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 02:50 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,583,005 times
I have just spent more time than I thought I would have reading these posts. Great!!! I have a 'themed' vest for the Christmas season. White with red and green designs. Not to sure anymore what the designs are, because it is packed away with the rest of my big lady clothes. Lost weight and some of my older themed sweaters and such look too baggy now. I have bought Christmas sweaters for relatives and they have worn them. But now y'all have me worried, 'cause the only time they must wear them is when they come to visit or when we are invited to their homes for holiday dinners and such. Hmmmmmmm...?

This has been a very entertaining thread. Thank you for the fun this morning.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
No, Kaykay, it is a matter of preference! There is no right or wrong, just preference! And I am sure you have the creme de la creme of theme sweaters
Oh, yeah, right, mrstewart!!! And men wearing black dress socks with tennis shoes and shorts is just a "matter of preference" too!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I am your age, KayKay and I didn't get the memo, either. Well, that is not exactly right. Of course, I have seen some hideous and even laughable sweaters (actually - the worst things I have seen were more like sweatshirts that had been decorated!!!) And then I happened to catch an Oprah episode in the last year or two - and she was pontificating about how tacky and atrocious "theme" sweaters are . . . But you know what? My kids always LOVED my sweaters . . . and I wore the stuff to be festive.

Anyway . . . I have a beautiful new black sweater w/ crystal snowflakes on it to wear this year . . . and I went back to the guest closet to check it out the other day, thinking (after reading this thread) . . . maybe this is tacky . . . and I pulled it out and I LOVE IT!!!! I will wear it Christmas Day. I have a pair of black wool slacks, a white cashmere mock T-neck and pearl earrings w/ diamond jackets that I will put with it . . . and I will feel very FESTIVE and my family will like it, LOL. And my mother will say to me "Now, when you get tired of that, I want it" as I give her all my sweaters when I decide to let them go . . . She will doubtless be there wearing one of my sweaters from Christmases Past!!!
Ok, sounds like we may have Oprah to blame (thank-depending on your opinion)for holiday sweaters falling out of fashion!!!! (Well, I told you I don't watch TV!!!)
I think your Christmas Day outfit sounds beautiful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
It is usually too warm on Christmas in Florida to sport a sweater, but I should look for a themed T-shirt and humiliate my kids.
LOL! It can sometimes be fairly warm in Texas too, but I manage!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
I have just spent more time than I thought I would have reading these posts. Great!!! I have a 'themed' vest for the Christmas season. White with red and green designs. Not to sure anymore what the designs are, because it is packed away with the rest of my big lady clothes. Lost weight and some of my older themed sweaters and such look too baggy now. I have bought Christmas sweaters for relatives and they have worn them. But now y'all have me worried, 'cause the only time they must wear them is when they come to visit or when we are invited to their homes for holiday dinners and such. Hmmmmmmm...?

This has been a very entertaining thread. Thank you for the fun this morning.
Happy to be of service, Northwoods!

Old 11-21-2008, 07:55 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
You gotta admit. Some of them are just gawdawful gaudy.

But they make me laugh, which perhaps is the point.

Now that reminds me ... I need a new sweater for the season. Lands End has some nifty fleece turtlenecks with snowflakes on 'em. If I get a red one, I can wear my red moccasins and be tres fashionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I used to have a Christmas in July party every year, and everyone wore their sweatshirts or sweaters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty