Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 11:51 AM

15,264 posts, read 10,518,512 times

Advertisements

I live in SW Florida. I rarely wear a closed shoe unless it's cold (as cold as my area gets) or if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking. When I think of "flip-flops" I think of the cheap, plastic type with no support and just a thingee between the toes. The type you would wear to the beach or pool. I rarely see those on anybody but when it's 95 degrees with 90% humidity, the last thing I'm putting on is a closed shoe or worse yet, a sock & sneaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 03:08 PM

9,514 posts, read 6,622,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i hate the sound of flip flops. But obvioulst in hotter climates they make sense.
Smack...slap, slap, squish, smack, slap...slap...slap, squish, smack, smack, slap, squish...smack, slap, slap. Flip flops are indeed annoying.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:25 PM

9,884 posts, read 11,085,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
This is one of the pairs of Vionics that I have. They've got great support for my high arches and good heel support. They aren't the typical flat flip flops that people think of.
Oh, good grief! SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS for those things?
Here I thought the price of my Red Wing boots was bad. Luckily, I don't think my wife would be interested in having a pair of the Vionics.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:01 PM

911 posts, read 267,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron
The only pair of flip flops I own are a shower shoe. That's it; from the shower to the bedroom and back. I am too much of a real shoe lover!
Ya so am I..... I tried flip flops once.... THEY FEEL HORRIBLE...... I havent worn any since.........

Reg shoes please

Old 04-01-2018, 04:06 PM

4,867 posts, read 3,705,731 times
I live in Texas and start wearing them when it warm. Primarily at home. I don't like tan lines on the top of my feet so they are easy to slip off when I am sunbathing.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:28 PM

16,572 posts, read 15,458,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Foreigners wear flip flops when they come here so I guess its not so bad (I'm in Florida so I notice these things).
It's not when they come HERE. It's what they wore back home, mostly Indians. It really speaks to poverty. It is the cheapest thing you can put between your feet and the ground.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:29 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,252,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonaldson View Post
I remember back in the 90's and in centuries prior that people in the United States wore SHOES or at least something that covers the entire foot such as boots.

When 2000, and the years after, arrived I noticed that people started to wear flip flops not just to the beaches or to other swimming locations but anywhere considered informal. Daily, I have to endure simultaneously seeing the disgusting feet of some people in addition to hearing the sickening smacking sound that is made when the soles of the flip flops hit the ground and when people's foot soles smack their flip flop soles.

Do Americans actually wear flip flops informally abroad when visiting other countries? I'd hate to think what is going through the minds of the people in host countries, especially in developed countries, when they see an American(s) walking down a street while creating those annoying flip flop smacking sounds that I mentioned in the paragraph above. Yeck.

Is there someone else in this forum that agrees with me?
You remember wrong. I've been a sneaker wearer all my life; in my later years I have been more apt to let my toes and feet wander totally free inside and around my house. But for most of my 50+ years before that I always wondered how people could be comfortable with the "feet out." So, this is not a recent thing.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:44 PM

21,098 posts, read 13,785,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Oh, good grief! SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS for those things?
Here I thought the price of my Red Wing boots was bad. Luckily, I don't think my wife would be interested in having a pair of the Vionics.
It's a nice brand with ortho support. The very unattractive ortho shoes I bought for my mother cost the same.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:13 PM

14,733 posts, read 15,389,499 times
I don't pay attention to the noise of other people who wear flip flops. Flip flops are still better than going out with bare feet. It's their feet, they can do what they want with them and if they injure their feet because of wearing flip flops everywhere that's their problem, not mine. In summer I wear flip flops around the house and outside when watering the gardens but for safety reasons I wouldn't wear them anywhere away from home. I wear open toed sling-back sandals to go shopping or walk very short distances (and they don't make a noise). For walking longer distances or anywhere on uneven terrain I wear socks and weather appropriate full cover footwear to protect my feet.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:20 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,467,070 times
This is funny!

I too am incredibly annoyed by flip flops !

And those Velcro ( or whatever you call it) slipper things ; they often have Nike logos or whatever.

And the other things that older guys seem to wear with the cross straps.

They’re usually worn by fungus footed folks lol.

And guys who go out to dinner in shorts showing their spotted scabby legs.,,

I’m a real monster, huh?

I’m sure some of your peeves are ridiculous too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty