Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:49 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times

Advertisements

Are you happy the fashion is back "in" to wearing leggins (footless tights) under mini skirts?

I loved it 20 years ago, and often wear this trend again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 02:54 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
The "unoffical" rule is, if you wore it as a teen or young adult, you shouldn't be wearing it now!
But, if you do, make sure you wear "matte" leggings--the shiny kind show every single flaw and bit of "cottage cheese" on your thighs!

Old 06-28-2008, 03:11 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
The "unoffical" rule is, if you wore it as a teen or young adult, you shouldn't be wearing it now!
But, if you do, make sure you wear "matte" leggings--the shiny kind show every single flaw and bit of "cottage cheese" on your thighs!
I've heard that too but in most cases, the styles do not come back in their original form. There's usually a modern twist to it. For example, when the 70's came back, no one was wearing polyester but the styles (not the fabric) were the same. But yes, I'm glad this style is back. I was a bit too young to really wear it (I was a kid, not a teen) so I'm glad that some of the 80's looks have come back.

I haven't done the mini and leggings thing yet, but I'm wearing my leggings with tunic tops. I had a women stop me at the mall once and asked where did I get my outfit- she thought the 'ensemble' was fabulous with my heels and wanted to buy something similar for her granddaughter! I think people haven't seen leggings in a while so even though its making a comeback its still new to some people.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:26 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
I always thought it looked funny when a older person tries to dress like they were in high school again.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:29 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
I love wearing leggings and skirts. I've been wearing them for a few years now - with people snickering... Hah, now I can laugh at them now..

Old 06-28-2008, 05:48 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
I remember this trend but didn't participate at the time. I just wore the minis. Leggings make my legs itch, I have a nylon or lycra allergy (or both??)...

I can't believe I'm admitting this but I do recall when me and a small group of friends took an offshoot of this trend and wore long john / long underwear bottoms under the skirts! OMG. Black usually, with converse high tops and a "band shirt" and a miniskirt. How I laugh at myself now...

Old 06-28-2008, 05:59 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,887 times
I think if done correctly it can be cute, however in my opinion, it's not something I would want my teenage daughter to wear. Leggings are garments that hug the curves, which to me, is similar to tight fitting apparel. I don't want my 14 yr old wearing clothes that fit tightly around her body. IN

3-4 years maybe .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Are you happy the fashion is back "in" to wearing leggins (footless tights) under mini skirts?

I loved it 20 years ago, and often wear this trend again.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:24 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
The leggings aren't generally worn as pants. If you're wearing a mini skirt, you're only seeing the thigh-down from the leggings (you're more naked without the leggings) and if you choose to wear it paired with a shirt, then the shirt is long enough (almost dress length) to cover your thighs.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:35 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
LOL totally!! I am a teen of the 80's and while I didn't wear minis with leggins, I did wear minis with pumps and frilly little anklets, yikes! I can't believe my mom let me out of the house like that as a high school girl!

Old 06-28-2008, 07:42 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I always thought it looked funny when a older person tries to dress like they were in high school again.
Except for those who still look like they're in highschool or at least that's what everyone tells me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai
I love wearing leggings and skirts. I've been wearing them for a few years now - with people snickering... Hah, now I can laugh at them now..
I attempted it last summer and the teens in my neighborhood looked at me very weirdly. This summer all those same girls are sporting the same look. Now when they look, they see what they can copy. It's pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976
I think if done correctly it can be cute, however in my opinion, it's not something I would want my teenage daughter to wear. Leggings are garments that hug the curves, which to me, is similar to tight fitting apparel. I don't want my 14 yr old wearing clothes that fit tightly around her body. IN
When wearing this fashion, the most curves seen are around the knee area, and I'd say leggins under is much "safer" than mini skirt alone. I praise you're caution in girls' clothing though. I wish there were more like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823
LOL totally!! I am a teen of the 80's and while I didn't wear minis with leggins, I did wear minis with pumps and frilly little anklets, yikes! I can't believe my mom let me out of the house like that as a high school girl!
Pumps in every color to match everything you own!!!! It was the only time ever socks & shoes went together Thanks to ZZTop!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty